Mezz vs predator

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a mezz WD700 for sale in awesome condition for a good price if your interested. Link is in my signature.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
ive owned 2 wd700 shafts brand new n they came right at 12.5. i met a guy whk had a 12.8 one though. mika winning the us open 2 years back to back with a mezz is what drove the price up

no, what drove up the price is the devaluation of the dollar. If you look at the prices in yen you will see that it hasn't changed much. In relation to the Canadian dollar, I remember 64 us cents was worth 1 Canadian dollar back in 2007,2008. Now it's worth less than the Canadian dollar. The us dollar isn't worth as much any more so mezz had to increase the prices in us in order to keep it at around the same value. Remember that mezz is a Japanese company so everything they sell is based on their Japanese prices. This is why they increased the prices twice, as the us dollar was worth less and less, they had to make adjustments to match the Japanese prices which haven't really increased all that much.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no, what drove up the price is the devaluation of the dollar. If you look at the prices in yen you will see that it hasn't changed much. In relation to the Canadian dollar, I remember 64 us cents was worth 1 Canadian dollar back in 2007,2008. Now it's worth less than the Canadian dollar. The us dollar isn't worth as much any more so mezz had to increase the prices in us in order to keep it at around the same value. Remember that mezz is a Japanese company so everything they sell is based on their Japanese prices. This is why they increased the prices twice, as the us dollar was worth less and less, they had to make adjustments to match the Japanese prices which haven't really increased all that much.

that might have something to do with it. The us dollar is still higher than the canadian buck. not by much but still higher.

it'll be a sad day when the poor mans america outshines america

loveudear

Registered
in my region i notice the mezz prices kept increasing within 1year like abt 50-80 bucks difference. the price diff in my region for hp2 n 314/z2 is minimal.
i personally tried hitting hp2 n 314-2.

314-2 - quiet soft hit (everest tip / unilock)
hp2 - firm solid hit (moori tip M / unilock - i supposed)
z2 - yet to try

i m still deciding z2 or hp2 shaft. i m so used to playing english for almost every shot =_=!!! i just want more cue ball action with minimal str:thumbup:

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently received a WD700 and have been using it for just a few hours of play so far. Set it up with an Everest tip same as my 314-2.

Initial impression is better hit, more like a traditional shaft. Stiffer feel. Deflection almost identical, almost no adjustment needed. Like the slightly smaller diameter.

So far so good, will see as I get another 5 - 10 hours under my belt.

Have to comment on the spin thing - I really don't get it, but maybe I'm missing something, or it's different at different skill levels, etc. I can perform the same stroke shots with almost equal results between any shaft I own - Z2, 314-2, WD700, or even my old stock Schon shafts. Or I can grab someone else's cue and do the same thing, as long as their tip is shaped properly. Certainly I may prefer a certain feel, or weight, or tip, but it doesn't prevent me from executing a shot. I don't magically get more or less spin when I switch shafts (again, assuming at least a reasonable tip). I don't feel like I gain or lose accuracy either.

Am I missing something?

Scott

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have to comment on the spin thing - I really don't get it, but maybe I'm missing something, or it's different at different skill levels, etc. I can perform the same stroke shots with almost equal results between any shaft I own - Z2, 314-2, WD700, or even my old stock Schon shafts. Or I can grab someone else's cue and do the same thing, as long as their tip is shaped properly. Certainly I may prefer a certain feel, or weight, or tip, but it doesn't prevent me from executing a shot. I don't magically get more or less spin when I switch shafts (again, assuming at least a reasonable tip). I don't feel like I gain or lose accuracy either.

Am I missing something?

Scott

Maybe it has something to do with how good someone's stroke is.

Comparing my Mezz WD700 and Mezz Alpha:
Physically the Alpha is thicker. 12.8mm to 12.5mm.
The Alpha has a different ferrule and core.

For me, the WD700 is easier to spin. I find myself missing more with the WD700. The Alpha seems to be a more forgiving shaft.

Not sure why the Alpha plays easier, but my wife and others say the same thing. I think people have said similar things with the Predator 314 vs. Z.

Last edited:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it has something to do with how good someone's stroke is.

Comparing my Mezz WD700 and Mezz Alpha:
Physically the Alpha is thicker. 12.8mm to 12.5mm.
The Alpha has a different ferrule and core.

For me, the WD700 is easier to spin. I find myself missing more with the WD700. The Alpha seems to be a more forgiving shaft.

Not sure why the Alpha plays easier, but my wife and others say the same thing. I think people have said similar things with the Predator 314 vs. Z.
I think a 314-2 is much more forgiving than the Z's but I find when I'm
stroking the ball well with the Z,I'm dead-on accurate and can make
runouts without an issue.I 've always found it much harder to play
without a Predator.

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a 314-2 is much more forgiving than the Z's but I find when I'm
stroking the ball well with the Z,I'm dead-on accurate and can make
runouts without an issue.I 've always found it much harder to play
without a Predator.

This is my experience with the Mezz Alpha and WD700. It is easier to move the CB to all kinds of places with the WD than with the Alpha. But, if my stroke is a little off or I get lazy, the WD punishes me more.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my experience with the Mezz Alpha and WD700. It is easier to move the CB to all kinds of places with the WD than with the Alpha. But, if my stroke is a little off or I get lazy, the WD punishes me more.

i doubt that's the shaft deflection or shaft design. i think that's just the 12.5mm tip. i tried one of the older WD versions that came at 12.8 and it was way better

alojz_ferluga

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator is difficult to play to me

Hi,

I am a good beginner and I am at point that I manage do do my first table clears (rarely, but it happens).
I got a Cuetec Arrow-1 with Edge360 as my first cue from local players which is already a LD shaft. It has Everest tip on it.

At some point I got Predator Sport with 314-2 shaft as this should be an ultimate shaft (probably most used shaft on the market) which has Kamui soft tip on it.
Using Predator some months, but I don't like it. I have still a lot to learn, but playing with Predator seems difficult (that was also a suggestion from some top players at my club after trying this cue). You have to make a very good and precise shoot to pot the ball (even more on long shoots). Cuetec forgive a little if your stroke is not perfect.
I tried a friend Mezz HP2 for 5 minutes some days ago and I like much better. It has Moori M tip.

I know Kamui black is a top quality tip, but still thinking if the difference is because of a softer tip. It would be smart to try to chenge the tip?
A new shaft is around 250eur so I will not run to buy one but I will go for a longer period test of friends HP2 and WD700 (he has both shafts).

Any suggestions?

n0th1ng

Son of the beach
Silver Member
HP2 doesnt suit beginners IMO so I suggest you to try out WD700 or Hybrid Alpha. Since you said that your Cuetec is forgiving, Hybrid Alpha is highly recommended as it is more forgiving than WD700 due to bigger diameter (Alpha 12.75, WD700 12.5)

FYI, poolplayer2093 is selling out his Mezz Hybrid Alpha

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HP2 doesnt suit beginners IMO so I suggest you to try out WD700 or Hybrid Alpha. Since you said that your Cuetec is forgiving, Hybrid Alpha is highly recommended as it is more forgiving than WD700 due to bigger diameter (Alpha 12.75, WD700 12.5)

at 100 cheaper than you can find it anywhere else. just figured i'd throw that in there

alojz_ferluga

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cuetec is also a LD and tip size is the same as Predator - 12.75. There should be some other difference beside tip size?
Thanks for suggestion, but I would like to hear a little more before buying a new shaft.
Also, I am from Europe and sending a shaft from USA is not cheap.