Mezz WD700

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
I am looking at buying a Mezz in the near future and I have a question about the wd700 shaft as I have never played with one before.

For those of you who have used this shaft before, do you feel as if it is a stiff or whippy shaft?

I personally cannot stand playing with shafts that are whippy.

I appreciate any responses I receive.

OnTheMF

I know things
Silver Member
As far as feel goes it plays closer to a standard maple shaft. The 314^2's are much more whippy.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am looking at buying a Mezz in the near future and I have a question about the wd700 shaft as I have never played with one before.

For those of you who have used this shaft before, do you feel as if it is a stiff or whippy shaft?

Whiffy, I'd say.

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
the Mezz WD700 has a firm and stiff hit, and generate good feedback also, it is a very good shaft imo. I would recommend WD700 every time. However, consider the joint, I personally like the Wavy joint more than the United joint. of course when you purchase a Mezz, you can always choose between them.

doublej487

valleys are 2 tight
Silver Member

get a mezz with a wavy joint def not whippy

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mezz Alpha is stiffer than the WD700. It has a little more deflection but you can offset that because it works very well with backhand english. The shaft and taper is a little thicker compared to the WD700.

I like both shafts but definitely prefer the Alpha. The increase in stiffness gives me better control and feel for the CB. It also seems to be a little more forgiving. In comparison, my stroke needs to be more precise when I use the WD700.

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
I have a ec7 with wd700 shaft for sale if interested, pm ,me

Thanks for the offer and input, but I already have a specific cue in mind from a different series.

Whiffy, I'd say.

lol does this mean you think it's not really whippy or stiff but a combination of both?

the Mezz WD700 has a firm and stiff hit, and generate good feedback also, it is a very good shaft imo. I would recommend WD700 every time. However, consider the joint, I personally like the Wavy joint more than the United joint. of course when you purchase a Mezz, you can always choose between them.

get a mezz with a wavy joint def not whippy

The cue I'm looking at comes standard with a wavy joint, so this is good news to me. Thanks, guys!

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I too an comsidering a Mezz shaft. Shot with a Z2 for a while and now shooting with a 314-2. It's not bad, typically hollow-type feeling for LD shafts, but have heard that the Mezz are closer to a traditional shaft. I also like the shaft to feel somewhat stiff, and like the fact that the shafts are 12.5 since I would like something just a bit smaller than the current 314-2 at 12.75.

Questions though:

- Which shaft? Originally someone was telling me the HP2, but I've heard good things about the WD700 and even the Alpha. Hard to choose and spend $250+ without test hitting...

- Between the shafts, I understand some are lower deflection than others, think I read somewhere that the WD700 is similar to the 314-2? One issue I have with the 314-2, compared to Z2, is that backhand english doesn't really work all the time, is very speed-sensitive with the 314-2. Can someone recommend a Mezz shaft that works well with backhand english style adjustments?

- I thought the shafts came standard with a 5/16x14 type joint, which would fit my Schon perfectly. But I keep seeing references to a "wavy" or "uinited" joint - will these shafts fit my Schon properly with the pilot etc.?

Thanks!
Scott

Jgar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mezz cues with the wd700 have one of the stiffest hit's ive ever played with. The feedback is great. If you are looking for a cue with a really stiff hit, you can stop your search, these cues are legit and a great overall playing cue. i have no idea how some of these people who have responded to this thread think it's whippy, i dont see that at all!!

ctran

You watch me.
Silver Member
I too an comsidering a Mezz shaft. Shot with a Z2 for a while and now shooting with a 314-2. It's not bad, typically hollow-type feeling for LD shafts, but have heard that the Mezz are closer to a traditional shaft. I also like the shaft to feel somewhat stiff, and like the fact that the shafts are 12.5 since I would like something just a bit smaller than the current 314-2 at 12.75.

Questions though:

- Which shaft? Originally someone was telling me the HP2, but I've heard good things about the WD700 and even the Alpha. Hard to choose and spend $250+ without test hitting...

- Between the shafts, I understand some are lower deflection than others, think I read somewhere that the WD700 is similar to the 314-2? One issue I have with the 314-2, compared to Z2, is that backhand english doesn't really work all the time, is very speed-sensitive with the 314-2. Can someone recommend a Mezz shaft that works well with backhand english style adjustments?

- I thought the shafts came standard with a 5/16x14 type joint, which would fit my Schon perfectly. But I keep seeing references to a "wavy" or "uinited" joint - will these shafts fit my Schon properly with the pilot etc.?

Thanks!
Scott

you are correct about the speed-sensitive of the 314-2 and the inconsistency when play with backhand english on LD shafts, all you have to do is practice, and you will get a consistent level. the thing with LD shafts is that when you stroke well, they play nicely, but when you struggle, they mess you up even worse.

but with LD shafts, you will get the prob all the time. they are designed to limit deflection, so there must be trade-offs, there must be something they cannot do as well as traditional shafts.

if you are looking for a consistent shaft, I would recommend the Mezz Maple shaft, it plays great. don't worry about the deflection, it is part of the game and you just need to adapt, in return, you get consistency.

the wood-to-wood wavy joint generates better feedback and stiffness than the steel united joint.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
Here is my $.02
I think it all depends on the weight of the butt.
I feel with a 16 oz butt the shaft feels a bit whippy for me.
If you have a butt that is at or under 15 oz I think it plays pretty good.

I am relating to my own 30" WD700 shaft.
If you go 29" then I would think it has to play stiffer but I cannot say for sure.

BrooklynJay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stiff and whippy are subjective terms. What's stiff to one person might be whippy to another person.

the best way i can describe the Mezz shafts are that they feel like a normal, regular shaft. a lot of LD shafts, to me, feel hollow, dead, etc.

muddawg

Chill Out
Silver Member
Thanks to all that replied.

Stiff and whippy are subjective terms. What's stiff to one person might be whippy to another person.

the best way i can describe the Mezz shafts are that they feel like a normal, regular shaft. a lot of LD shafts, to me, feel hollow, dead, etc.

You're right they are subjective terms, but people's opinions is all I was looking for. I think you and all the other people who responded have sealed the deal in my mind. Thanks!

randallt6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wd700 is great, not whippy, very solid hit. similiar to a regular maple shaft.

sold my 314-2 and jsut use a wd700 now, 10x better feel.

porper-sig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They hit lovely, Mine weighs 4.25 oz combine that with a 14.75oz butt and you have bliss. The feedback is just fantasic!
Also consider US made Tiger cues/shafts.

Last edited: