Minimum height requirement for table room

C

CueHunter

My basement has a drop ceiling. There is a reason it is so low. On one side of the future game room there is a huge steel I beam. I think we can make the ceiling box it out and raise the rest of the ceiling without it looking too rediculous. It would still be rather low. Like about 90 inches or so roughly 7.5 feet. Right now it is only 82 inches. Even with recessed lighting I don't think it would work. What is the minimum height from floor to ceiling for a nice 9 footer? Thanks.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Cue Hunter,
Greetings from Indy (I grew up in Pittsburgh). My last house had an 8 foot ceiling in the basement. Over the 9 ft. pool table, running crossways was a beam with an air duct that had to run across (under) it. We boxed the whole thing, so there was a large box running across the ceiling at a height of approx. 6' 10". A 6' 10" friend of mine - IU basketball player - would play and did not have any trouble, though he just fit under the box. Use a hanging light (4 globes) that is 31 inches from the table surface and you will be fine. It is much more important to have your 5 feet of space around the table on each side so you can shoot without denting the walls.

R

runneeschitz

What ever height you make it, one thing you have to be certain of.......make sure you PAINT YOUR CEILING BLUE!!!