More chalk talk

SSP

I wonder if you’re just remembering wrong?

The balls and cloth today (Aramith/Brunswick and Simonis 760/860) are identical to what they were 30 years ago. What era were you betting high? Unless it was before the Simonis era, I’m betting it’s just in your head:)

One definite physical difference is if you are playing on the about 15 years of Diamonds that left black marks on the balls, that could cause skids. The early Diamonds in the 90’s left no marks, as their pockets were not dyed black. The next gen were all dyed black and left tons of marks. The dye process improved about 10 years ago. Those marks were non-existent on the GC days.
I wonder if you’re just remembering wrong?

The balls and cloth today (Aramith/Brunswick and Simonis 760/860) are identical to what they were 30 years ago. What era were you betting high? Unless it was before the Simonis era, I’m betting it’s just in your head:)

One definite physical difference is if you are playing on the about 15 years of Diamonds that left black marks on the balls, that could cause skids. The early Diamonds in the 90’s left no marks, as their pockets were not dyed black. The next gen were all dyed black and left tons of marks. The dye process improved about 10 years ago. Those marks were non-existent on the GC days.
My table is a valley table with cloth I'm not sure of, Masters chalk leaves visible residue, the Taom v10 does not

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ONE DOLLAR a month !!!!!!!!!! not a week , and my felt stays nice and clean, as well as my hands, my cue, I would buy it again if it was 2 dollars a month.
I've been sold a long time. Gotta get around to it. This economy is brutal. :D

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I don't think new chalk in any way creates skids but i do agree on how few i've experienced. I've played in Tulsa, one HUMID place, for over 40yrs and i think i've had less than ten total. Always used either Master or Triangle chalk with some Magic/BlueDiamond the last few yrs.
Consistent long time and master chalk user. Still have the older chalk container lead. Smooth application. I've noticed skids and slides/slips moreso now that I'm playing again vs when I stopped. Some us my degraded strike, but that can't account for these high numbers. Something's affecting the cue ball and causing this to happen. Hopefully this will get nailed down soon, so I can stop paying for happy voodoo JuJu B4 playing. 🤣🤣

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have about half a gross of masters at my house. For my home table, Taom only....way way cleaner and for that reason alone, no other chalk allowed in my house anymore. For the pool room, I'll use masters there, cuz they have to clean the balls and table (cruel, I know).
You're a bad man!!🤣

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Can regular masters chalk wear down the samsara break tip on a bk rush?
I just noticed mines near flat , I’ve done so much 10ball practice breaking since I got it what’s more likely the cause of that? Chalk or all the hits

Probably broke near 500 times in 2 months or so with it
Did you really just ask that??🤣

1pocketguru

Registered
A lot of my action was/is one pocket so definitely not. And I don’t just mean when I’m playing/was playing, I didn’t see it happen to others either. Yes, once in awhile. But it wasn’t nearly as common as it is today.

Since I started playing again about 7-8 months ago I’ve seen it at a much higher rate for myself and others.
I totally agree with you. Something is going on.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not had any issues with skids and new chalks (the new pasty stuff), but I have had many issues with miscues with them.

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Another old pool wives tale. Masters/Triangle blue and green never had lead or mercury in it. Everyone thought the new 'flag' Masters was different. No. This is what the head guy at Tweeten told me directly. I've got some old pre-flag Master that is identical to new stuff. Can not tell it apart. Blue Diamond is better if you like Master. Made by Tweeten for Longoni. Not as dusty. Good shit.
I seem to recall a NIH study by Miller, which determined pre flag masters had elevated lead levels and the company shortly thereafter changed coloring agents.
That's what I meant by lead in it. I don't think they intentionally introduced toxic compounds into their chalk, and I'm sure it was only certain batches that contained it. The stuff w lead goes on smooth tho, I'll tell ya that. Maybe all my wives tales come from brain damage caused by this stuff!! Lol.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I seem to recall a NIH study by Miller, which determined pre flag masters had elevated lead levels and the company shortly thereafter changed coloring agents.
That's what I meant by lead in it. I don't think they intentionally introduced toxic compounds into their chalk, and I'm sure it was only certain batches that contained it. The stuff w lead goes on smooth tho, I'll tell ya that. Maybe all my wives tales come from brain damage caused by this stuff!! Lol.
I hope “taom” isn’t the Finnish word for lead 😧

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope “taom” isn’t the Finnish word for lead 😧
It is not Finnish word. It is 4 guys who put Taom together. T, A, M are first letter of their names. And O is last name of one guy(because he got J his first name letter) btw Mika is one of them..

Flakeandrun

Do you chalk after every shot?
Purple HeddaRo on the break cue, Pyro for playing. Nearly a years worth of play, as described above. 4-7 days a week, I play for more than 2 hours at a time usually. The packaging has been worn down more than the chalk... Have removed zero packaging layer on the Taom, one strip on the HR.

tempImagetLKNdx.jpg
tempImageUO3zG8.jpg

sbrownn

Registered
Played with some pre flag Masters blue chalk last week and it sure did coat and grip the tip so much better, with noticeably better control and english on my shots.

In a nutshell, what are the reasonably priced chalks out there now that I can buy new today that are as close as I can get to what I played with last week?

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Played with some pre flag Masters blue chalk last week and it sure did coat and grip the tip so much better, with noticeably better control and english on my shots.

In a nutshell, what are the reasonably priced chalks out there now that I can buy new today that are as close as I can get to what I played with last week?
I've told players this and they scoff at me, so I have to prove it to them by actually demonstrating the diff between the chalks.
It glides on smoother and I have less miscues when way out on the limit line of the cue ball.
Messy, yes. Moreso than any other chalk I've played with. I have to clean shafts (and hands) more often than with say, predator or toam chalk.
That's ok w me. I'll put up with it for the benefits. Guess I'll have to stop playing once I've run out of these, bcuz I haven't found anything close yet. Lol. That I can afford anyway.😂
Thanks for having the balls to post this guy.
Most think it's a old wives tale.