Morning smells...

Abernathy

Banned
Why does each and every post on here always turn negative? As I am unaware of any history, past or present conversations, etc... why do these need to be taken up on a public forum? The post was just sharing that he got a new piece of equipment :thumbup: (don't really care what it cost or why he went with it) if it works for him so be it! Advice is advice no more, if we all did things alike and used the same equipment we might as well start selling our cues at Walmart because there would be no difference in them.

The man is rebuilding a shop rattled with divorce woes... I say good job for getting back on your feet!

As for the DRO's I have not a clue, lol I built my own Bluetooth bersion that works for me!

https://youtu.be/xLXaCZLrecY
https://youtu.be/S8DVFmKoiLw

Why? Look at what you are dealing with here. :D

the whole event did not happen without pics :D

Abernathy

Banned
Sadly Facebook groups is becoming this way too

its pool/billiards - the sport is filled with losers, cry babies, degenerate gamblers, alcoholics, druggies, criminals and people who need to find excuses because of their flaws. there are also some very nice people but the previously mentioned seem to take over. no surprise at all. its the nature of the game and the wild west mentality of these forums and facebook too

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
My morning smells always stink to high heaven. I guess sitting on the porcelain throne in the morning is why.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Randy,

Mainly a space constraint. You can talk to any machinist about the DRO they would pick and they will say magnetic. The Bison will be next. Can only do one thing at a time. Just recovering from a 1 year divorce and equipment sold by the "ex" without my knowledge.
Shows us a bit of your cues bud...

I see.. well that is a reason isn't it. I think, i including myself, everyone would choose the best. Magnetic scales are better than glass, but you called glass "junk" and I asked why. I'm sorry about your divorce, but don't project your anger on me.

If I ask McWorter, Carmelli, Thomas Wayne, or Eddie Cohen a question and the answer doesn't make perfect sense I'll ask for an explanation. Is that wrong?

I suppose you are the only one who gets to ask questions?? When I ask it is a personal attack?

You KNOW I've made cues and you've seen pictures of them, so why are you being an ass by insinuating such crap? You act like I need to prove something to YOU. I think it's time YOU stop calling ME for advice.

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Never seen a single picture of your work, not being a jerk either. I just thought since you are such a lathe expert you knew why I said the glass scales are not the best and I did explain why.
Randy, i get it, you know all the cue makers in your neck of the woods, be a man and don't text me calling me all sorts of names. I guess you did not like when I challenged you to show your cues. I'm sure you do some good work with Ariel and Jerry backing you up.
Call for advice????!!!! Lmao!!!!
I called you for an opinion on a machine... Good grief!!!!!?????
Have a nice day.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Sealed glass scale are not junk or will not last in cue making use.
I bet thousands of cues have been built in glass scale DRO lathes and mills.
Maybe even hundreds of thousands .
We don't create enough dust to harm it. All you need is to blow air down that area.
We don't use coolants that can cause problems to the glass scale.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
its pool/billiards - the sport is filled with losers, cry babies, degenerate gamblers, alcoholics, druggies, criminals and people who need to find excuses because of their flaws. there are also some very nice people but the previously mentioned seem to take over. no surprise at all. its the nature of the game and the wild west mentality of these forums and facebook too

If you are who most think you are, then...the highlighted above fits well....Got your license re-instated yet?
DAve

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magnetic scales are better than glass, but you called glass "junk" and I asked why.

I predict your glass scales will just keep working with no issues for many years to come. It used to be that glass scales were the premiere solution, and magnetic scales had resolution and repeatability issues. I guess times have changed a bit, but assuming you haven't installed them upside down, they'll be fine. Even if they get completely covered in dust, it's trivial to simply wipe them down.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WHAT? Speak for yourself.

I have only seen one person in these forums speak this way, his name was J__ and he got kicked out of here.

I am all for you getting kicked out next, you should go to a Pool Hall today and repeat the words you used here. Would that Pool Hall be in Florida or Wisconsin?

Wild West mentality? Thank you, Thank you very much, I am from the Wild West and it beats the heck out of Florida.

Smile.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You agreed?

Agree 1000%. Still waiting for Randy to post a picture of his work on here. Try posting at least a picture of a shaft turned down with some ringwork on here if you have never made a cue...

You must be kidding me?

How can you look any buyer in the eye when selling them a Cue?

No respect for your buyers says a lot about you, very sad.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No clue who you are but I can also wish you a wonderful day.

I was enjoying your thread until you agreed that everyone associated with Pool is somehow not a good person.

It says a lot about YOU.

I always have wonderful days, rarely a bad day.

Do you really agree with the guy putting down all people associated with Pool? You agreed 1000%, that's ten times over, WOW.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I was enjoying your thread until you agreed that everyone associated with Pool is somehow not a good person.

It says a lot about YOU.

I always have wonderful days, rarely a bad day.

Do you really agree with the guy putting down all people associated with Pool? You agreed 1000%, that's ten times over, WOW.

Well I have to agree with you. I guess I posted on the heat of the discussion, my apologies. I have removed my comments.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I have to agree with you. I guess I posted on the heat of the discussion, my apologies. I have removed my comments.

Good Man.

Don't let anyone tell you that need a longer lathe. 62" Cues (31" Butt, 31" Shaft) can be done on a 36" Lathe.

From the Morse Taper # 5, use one reducer from 5-3, then another reducer from 3-2. It's best with two to get the Spur Drive out far enough from the Spindle. Then use the best center at the tailstock, a DEAD CENTER with a drop of oil on the piece being turned.

You can mount a full size Router like the Makita variable speed router if you can make the right mount for it.

Thanks, Dave.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good Man.

Don't let anyone tell you that need a longer lathe. 62" Cues (31" Butt, 31" Shaft) can be done on a 36" Lathe.

From the Morse Taper # 5, use one reducer from 5-3, then another reducer from 3-2. It's best with two to get the Spur Drive out far enough from the Spindle. Then use the best center at the tailstock, a DEAD CENTER with a drop of oil on the piece being turned.

You can mount a full size Router like the Makita variable speed router if you can make the right mount for it.

Thanks, Dave.
This is true on many 36" lathes, but not on all 36" lathes. Many do not have enough carriage travel with a chuck on them to do the tapering. But that is not a problem in many shops as cuemakers are increasingly just using the metal lathes for assembly and have another dedicated tapering machine. If that is the case then 40" is a waste of money. I have a 40" metal lathe in my shop and have never used it for any kind of tapering. As a matter of fact I have used it very little for any type of cue work.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
This is true on many 36" lathes, but not on all 36" lathes. Many do not have enough carriage travel with a chuck on them to do the tapering. But that is not a problem in many shops as cuemakers are increasingly just using the metal lathes for assembly and have another dedicated tapering machine. If that is the case then 40" is a waste of money. I have a 40" metal lathe in my shop and have never used it for any kind of tapering. As a matter of fact I have used it very little for any type of cue work.

Hi Chris and Dave,

I have 2 other machines I use for tapering. I have a QMonster and a Taper Shaper. Have a 2nd CNC on the way but will be strictly for inlay work.
I also had a bit of a space issue so I do believe I made the right choice.
Looking forward to see you soon Chris and hope all is well.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Never seen a single picture of your work, not being a jerk either. I just thought since you are such a lathe expert you knew why I said the glass scales are not the best and I did explain why.
Randy, i get it, you know all the cue makers in your neck of the woods, be a man and don't text me calling me all sorts of names. I guess you did not like when I challenged you to show your cues. I'm sure you do some good work with Ariel and Jerry backing you up.

Have a nice day.

First. You are being a jerk. Second, I've never claimed to be an expert on lathes.

Here is the thread on did on my DRO install. You may or may not find it helpful. Their kits have surely changed alot in 7 years.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=167206

I haven't called you any names Tony. I simply wanted to keep my personal anger towards you....well....personal. Yes I do take exception for the way you are being. I apologize if my questions were taken the wrong way, but it's very clear what you are trying to say about me.

Regarding Ariel, Jerry, Eddie, and Thomas. I was simply trying to make a point. They are all light years ahead of me with knowledge, but if I don't understand what they are explaining it really doesn't matter and the time is wasted....isn't it? Since you seem to NEED to know.....

Jerry has been my friend for over 20 years and I make a rule to try and avoid asking him about cues. He HAS helped me with my finish and a minor detail or 2.

I paid Ariel in shaft wood for 3 days in his shop and took notes. I like to consider him a friend, but we certainly aren't close.

Eddie and I are more friends than anything else. We don't talk much about cue construction, but considering his quality of work I'd be a fool not to listen.

Thomas and I have talked about CNC's. He is the one who first showed me the Clearpaths. He also helped me out with some other none related issues. Again, I consider Thomas a friend but we are not close.

None of them have ever made anything for me or helped me make anything.

Call for advice????!!!! Lmao!!!!
I called you for an opinion on a machine... Good grief!!!!!?????
Have a nice day.
When you imply it's a joke that you called me for advice I had to look at my text messages again to reread what you said..
Maybe I misunderstood THAT and all the other times you called and texted me....

Attachments

• _Y8U7819.jpg
    _Y8U7819.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 202

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member

This is very good advice with a very good explanation. I really never looked at it that way.

I hope it all works out like you plan Tony. Just don't ever call me again.