Mosconi Cup 2019 Day 3

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
We have to assume Marcus is leading off with Filler and Shaw....
Whatever Johan does, don't lead off with Shane, let Shane come in at 3 or 4 and hopefully match up with Kazakis again for a repeat of last year.

Lead off with Skyler and then Bergman

I'm guessing Marcus will lead off with Filler and I totally agree with Johan not leading off with Shane. Filler would already be the favorite on paper, and even more so because he is surely in Shane's head pretty good right now between the man handling of him and then all the bravado and trash talking about it. And aside from it being just one loss, if Filler trounces Shane again it will likely further negatively affect the way Shane plays if he ends up getting called on later for the final match. It will also likely affect USA team morale and confidence to see their best get so easily man handled and trounced again and could affect the way the rest of the team plays for the day as well.

I think Johan should lead off with Tyler or Billy though, not Skyler or Bergman. The way Filler is playing at the moment he is heavy favorite no matter who he plays on team USA so if you know you are probably taking the loss regardless just treat it more like a throw away match sacrificing one of your weakest players. Plus, if anything, Tyler or Billy might have the best chance for pulling off the upset as they are under the least pressure since they are fully expected to lose, and Filler might also take the match too much for granted and not bear down as much and make some unexpected errors. And if Tyler or Billy do lose, no biggie, he was supposed to so it doesn't affect him or the team near as much, and we still have all our big guns left to take on their not as big of guns.

Last edited:

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I think it’s all singles tomorrow. Even though US is up 1, I’d say it’s 50-50.

Forgot it was all singles, edited my post. The 50/50 assessment is probably about right if Filler plays one of USA's lesser players, but the odds are probably less than that for USA if Filler man handles a top USA player again out of the gate.

Nick H

Registered
I wonder if it would have been a duck if you were up there under that pressure me world champion lol
Given the circumstances, they could not have asked for a better opportunity. The point I'm making is that not getting out is mostly on Billy T. and not Bergman. They are under a ton of pressure and Billy T. doesn't make any easier on them when he starts celebrating and getting the crowd going and they are only up 3-0. If you want to do that, you better deliver like Filler does.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bet Shane is probably wanting to kill Tyler for making that King comment last year. As if MC wasn’t enough pressure you now have matchroom pushing “The king” thing as a campaign for Joshua. With Shane’s history of getting in his own head during the MC I imagine this has him all the way on tilt.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing Marcus will lead off with Filler and I totally agree with Johan not leading off with Shane. Filler would already be the favorite on paper, and even more so because he is surely in Shane's head pretty good right now between the man handling of him and then all the bravado and trash talking about it. And aside from it being just one loss, if Filler trounces Shane again it will likely further negatively affect the way Shane plays the rest of the event possibly resulting in him causing another loss or two (in doubles or singles) down the line. It will also likely affect USA team morale and confidence to see their best get so easily man handled and trounced again and could affect the way the rest of the team plays for the day as well.

I think Johan should lead off with Tyler or Billy though and not Skyler or Bergman. The way Filler is playing at the moment he is heavy favorite no matter who he plays on team USA so if you know you are probably taking the loss regardless just treat it more like a throw away game sacrificing one of your weakest players. Plus, if anything, Tyler or Billy might have the best chance for pulling off the upset as they are under the least pressure since they are fully expected to lose, and Filler might also take the match too much for granted and not bear down as much and make some unexpected errors. And if Tyler or Billy do lose, no biggie, he was supposed to so it doesn't affect him or the team near as much, and we still have all our big guns left to take on their not as big of guns.
Put up the APA SL-2 against their SL-7?

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw, Kazakis, Filler, Kaci, Feijen?

I don't like seeing Feijen playing the final match, but it seems that this could be the best order for team Europe.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Does each team decide the order independently, without knowing the order of the other team?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And re: extensions...I thought I noticed that once a player declares he is invoking it, the extension countdown begins, as opposed to starting extension after the expiration of base shot clock.

Did anybody else think they saw the same? That's not right, if true.
:shrug:

B-B: I meant to answer this 3 days ago but forgot. You probably figured it out, anyway. When a player called "extension," that word appeared immediately in the time clock box on screen. But the 30-sec. extension countdown didn't start until the original 30 seconds (or 60 sec. after the break) had expired. (At least I didn't notice any that worked differently from that.)

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't forget...

When you send your message to the White House don't forget to tell them Team USA also beat Team Russia the last two years running along with the best Europe's 44 countries could bring to the table for the Mosconi Cup!