Mosconi cup

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I think you're kidding yourself if you think Earl Strickland has no celebrity status in the pool world, but thanks for sharing your opinion.

When people grow old, they cannot play as well as they did in their prime, but they are still respected as a legend, just like Jimmy White and Stephen Hendry. They can't play well today, but they're still respected by their peers and by the sports world, including the fans and current pros.

Unbelievable the opinions shared in this thread about a 61-year-old Hall of Famer and world champion giving it his all. It's a privilege for some of us to see him compete at this level. For others, Earl has a target on his back for know-it-alls who sit behind a computer and spew their words of wisdom.
Your romance for the Earl of legend is endearing. Earl is definitely a pool celebrity. That unfortunately has nothing to do with him being at the Mosconi.

I wish Earl the best and rather see him run racks then smash cues. However I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't be entertained by the latter as well

something_pool

Registered
well when you're invited to an exhibition what is the difference...?...lol
plenty of important and prestigious tournaments are invitationals (e.g. the world pool masters). exhibitions are just for fun / for a spectacle -- has nothing to do with whether it's an invitational or not. you can think what you want about the mosconi cup, but the pros who compete in it definitely don't consider it an exhibition.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
plenty of important and prestigious tournaments are invitationals (e.g. the world pool masters). exhibitions are just for fun / for a spectacle -- has nothing to do with whether it's an invitational or not. you can think what you want about the mosconi cup, but the pros who compete in it definitely don't consider it an exhibition.
Said this earlier...

Opinion does not change reality.

You could argue that my opinion doesn't make it an exhibition and you would be right. I think the difference here is that this event (if it were meant to be a true competition) would have the strongest available playing for both regions. That's not what happens at the Mosconi. Until that happens it will always be an exhibition to me

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really not a fan of golden breaks, but the Euros got one. Shouldn't have been on the hill to begin with.
It’s a shame for an event like this, with such short races, to allow wild 9’s and 9’s on the break to determine a game / match. And they are not even using a template, which would make it a lot less likely to occur.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Ok here we go... Earl .vs. Albin

...and for the record I'm actually rooting for Earl in this one....lol

I do like Earl's chances. Albin just hasn't been sharp either.

Even in a match between Albin and Earl, Phil Yates manages to fellate Joshua Filler. The bias from Phil has been apparent in the booth. At least Allison stays neutral