Multiple Chinese players suspended, pending investigation

telinoz

Registered

Yan Bingtao latest Chinese player suspended.

All recent suspensions for Chinese players have been around betting.
3 players so far.

Yan is the most significant one, in terms of ranking and ability.

WPBSA have begun multiple investigations.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the chinese have a culture of both money lending schemes and betting that many westerners don't understand. a promising chinese talent can't just embark on an overseas snooker career. hui lending clubs often acts as backers and then the player is indebted. i don't know about bingtao but this was the case for cao yupeng and others.

i was surprised to hear this since bingtao has been winning and playing well recently, but then again the WPBSA go back many years when they inspect players.

telinoz

Registered
the chinese have a culture of both money lending schemes and betting that many westerners don't understand. a promising chinese talent can't just embark on an overseas snooker career. hui lending clubs often acts as backers and then the player is indebted. i don't know about bingtao but this was the case for cao yupeng and others.

i was surprised to hear this since bingtao has been winning and playing well recently, but then again the WPBSA go back many years when they inspect players.
Yep, real shame as well.
Lots of talent.

I will follow these investigations closely.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judd Trump maybe onto something:

i would suspect so. i definitely don't think bingtao is a "bad" character, prone to shady dealings. if anything he is one of the players on the tour with the least rational reason to do anything like this, he is young, on an upward trajectory and has won north of a million GBP in the last few years. liang wenbo on the other hand is a scumbag.

OT: just watched dechawat poomjaeng play ronnie, that was quite a ride lol. funny guy

telinoz

Registered
Another one...

Makes 8 now.

telinoz

Registered
Wow... Zhao Xingtong as well...
Number 9 in the World.

Bigger than Yang..

The only thing new is they said the investigation is at an advanced stage.
So, will hopefully end soon.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Number 9 in the World.

Bigger than Yang..

Any guess in the snooker world as to what actually happened? With this many players it is quite a conspiracy. It is even on CNN here.

In the states it is hard to bet on snooker. In Europe is there a spread where bets are made based on victory margin, so someone like Zhao could shave a few (meaningless) frames to flip a bet?

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any guess in the snooker world as to what actually happened? With this many players it is quite a conspiracy. It is even on CNN here.

In the states it is hard to bet on snooker. In Europe is there a spread where bets are made based on victory margin, so someone like Zhao could shave a few (meaningless) frames to flip a bet?
From what I have seen , you can bet on anything in the game . Like first to score - frame scores-147- highest run, and on and on.

telinoz

Registered

Alphadog is correct.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the 80’s I knew a Chinese mob guy who ran a card/pai-gow room in NorCal. They took sports bets as well. The mob was based out of San Francisco.

The guy who ran it liked me-he knew I wasn’t a degenerate and was just a pool player. After knowing him for about a year he opened up and started telling me things about the organization he “worked” for. Was like watching a movie talking to him at that point.

Point is in their culture they have their ways and are going to do what they do. Ain’t no chance that’s gonna change because someone in England is mad about it.

I don’t judge. Not my call. But you can be certain they have their way and the UK has their way and those might not align.

I’m not taking a side on this one. I’m Switzerland. I know what I’ve seen first hand. And experience is a great teacher.

Fatboy 🇨🇭

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as betting on snooker.

The real criminals are the books and the way they price their bets. The vig is a stick-up. They are robbing the bettors worse than the guys fixing the matches.

Fatboy<——-doesn’t lay a price when he bets

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I checked through Google, and the last two Chinese players suspended in 2018 got suspensions.

You Delu got ten years and nine months, while Cao Yupeng was suspended for six years but reduced to only three years because he cooperated with the inquiry. He's back on tour and ranked 54 on the one-year list.

I don't know how Yupeng sang to save his hide, but these ten players face lengthy suspensions.

Sent from my SM-T870 using Tapatalk

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Number 9 in the World.

Bigger than Yang..

him and bingtao are the shocking ones. BUT this may be

1) something that happened way back
2) that most of the suspended are suspended for knowing and not snitching
3) just betting, not match fixing

number 3 is unlikely, but it is illegal (breach of contract) for snooker pro tour players to bet on snooker, period. bingham got suspended for that.

i think number 2 is very likely. if you have heard of or have knowledge of someone dumping and do not go directly to WPBSA, that's also illegal. i think it was jamie jones who got a year suspension for that, plus fines. these guys are friends which makes this scenario more probable.

WBPSA have a long memory, or maybe are slow to process match analyzing, so this can be matches from many years ago.

telinoz

Registered
him and bingtao are the shocking ones. BUT this may be

1) something that happened way back
2) that most of the suspended are suspended for knowing and not snitching
3) just betting, not match fixing

number 3 is unlikely, but it is illegal (breach of contract) for snooker pro tour players to bet on snooker, period. bingham got suspended for that.

i think number 2 is very likely. if you have heard of or have knowledge of someone dumping and do not go directly to WPBSA, that's also illegal. i think it was jamie jones who got a year suspension for that, plus fines. these guys are friends which makes this scenario more probable.

WBPSA have a long memory, or maybe are slow to process match analyzing, so this can be matches from many years ago.
I hope you are correct.
Too much talent to waste for Zhao and Yang..

Still, they all know the rules and there is a player contract.

As the last article said, they say they are in the advanced stages of the investigation.
I hope this concludes before end of January.
It has already messed up The Masters...

telinoz

Registered
Update from World Snooker:

Following a detailed investigation by the WPBSA Integrity Unit, working closely with Sportradar, the WPBSA has decided that ten snooker players have a case to answer in respect of the following alleged breaches of the WPBSA Conduct Regulations.

Liang Wenbo has been charged with being concerned in fixing matches and approaching players to fix matches on the World Snooker Tour, seeking to obstruct the investigation and failing to cooperate with the WPBSA investigation.

Li Hang has been charged with being concerned in fixing matches and approaching players to fix matches on the World Snooker Tour, seeking to obstruct the investigation and betting on snooker matches.

Lu Ning has been charged with fixing a match and being concerned in fixing matches and approaching a player to fix a match on the World Snooker Tour, seeking to obstruct the investigation and betting on snooker matches.

Yan Bingtao has been charged with fixing matches on the World Snooker Tour and betting on snooker.

Zhao Xintong has been charged with being concerned in fixing matches on the World Snooker Tour and betting on snooker.

Zhang Jiankang has been charged with fixing a match on the World Snooker Tour, failing to report approaches for him to fix matches and betting on snooker matches.

Chen Zifan has been charged with fixing matches on the World Snooker Tour.

Chang Bingyu and Zhao Jianbo have each been charged with fixing a match on the World Snooker Tour

Bai Langning has been charged with being concerned in fixing a match on the World Snooker Tour.

The players are currently suspended from attending and competing on the World Snooker Tour and in other WPBSA governed events until the conclusion of the hearing or hearings and the determination of this matter.

This matter will be referred to a formal hearing before an Independent Disciplinary Tribunal that will take place at a venue and on a date to be confirmed.

telinoz

Registered
They never show Snooker news on mainstream TV here in Australia...
But, they ran this story... real shame.

There was an interview with Jason Ferguson.
He made it clear this should be cleaned up fast.

Shaun Murphy was also on the segment..
He is pushing for mandatory life time bans for match fixing.
I tend to agree.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Doo we know what 'being concerned in fixing matches' means? (E.g., knowing and not reporting, or knowing in a game they won so didn't dump)