Music while playing

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Am sure this has been asked many times before but haven't seen it lately. And, it's a not a "what's the best tip" post.

I have a strong preference to shoot casually or competitively with tunes playing, particularly tunes I like. 60/70's rock is best, crap too far beyond that like pop, rap, disco, whiny love songs would be a buzz kill. And loud enough to hear comfortably but certainly not blaring. Want to easily communicate with the opposition.

Some favorites re: tunes would include Creedence, CSNY, etc...from the 60's, early 70's and then pure 70's rock (classics).

Like music playing and if so; what? Anyone saying disco will be reported.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Usually I rip the audio track off some skin flick, it makes for some interesting listening during pool.

Hearing people fake it can be funny.
I wouldn't call it music its more a musical score of human expression.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I do, I'm picky and moody so it depends
I may want Killswitch engage or los palominos playing

Tejano is good for relaxing me currently while playing.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Classic rock from the 70s here as well. Thin Lizzy, Rush, Zeppelin, early Van Halen, etc. I'm a lifelong metalhead but in my middle age but have a hard time hacking the young pups playing modern death metal on the jukebox.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
There was a brief window of time many years ago when, whenever Basket Case came on on the jukebox, I would play like a shortstop (which was about 10 speeds above my normal game).

But I thought about it too much and it stopped working for me.

F***ing sports psychology.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Up here we have the ship the ear plugs theme.
Loud echoing noise with the politically incorrect B. S.
The motto is, if you can hear people talking 1 1/2 tables away, the music isn't loud eneogh and he's willing to damage your ear drums to prove it.
Great way to destroy the image and respect of any pool room / Restaurant

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Music in bars is inevitable. Dedicated (high end) poolrooms should have some facilities arranged so that serious players have the option of quiet. Unfortunately, a situation likely no longer commercially viable, and serene playing conditions have thus gone the way of the tuxedo.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I am practicing by myself I turn on smooth jazz. At the club I usually turn on Bob Seger radio on iheart radio or maybe some blues.

But if I am really into the game I honestly pay little attention to the TV or radio. That's where I hope to be most of the time.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Some songs i find hit just that right spot that gets into the perfect rythem. Cowboy by kid rock does this for me and i cant say i like the song that much. The simple beat works with my stroke. Classic rock, classic country, 90s alternative and blues are my go to.

Our jukebox in the hall sees all sorts of music. I will sometimes tease the youngens by playing something like yakety sax or something like the muppets cover of Bohemian Rhapsody.

Tournaments and serious leagues the juke box is off or very low.

We have a regular crowd in the evenings that love to play the highly offensive gangsta rap with the most foul lyrics. I leave when that starts. I cant enjoy playing with that blaring.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
We have a regular crowd in the evenings that love to play the highly offensive gangsta rap with the most foul lyrics. I leave when that starts. I cant enjoy playing with that blaring.
Exactly why when I shoot at the closest pool hall I stuff 30 bucks in the fancy computerized jukebox system. I spend more on music than table time.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Exactly why when I shoot at the closest pool hall I stuff 30 bucks in the fancy computerized jukebox system. I spend more on music than table time.
Yes, same when i am there. I plan my day around going for early afternoon and leave around 6-7. Most of more serious about the game just play at that time. It works out well.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have trained myself over the years not to be able to hear anything while down on the shot.
This gets rid of sharkers.
I like music but I am not all that particular as long as it is not rap.

Geosnookery

I usually listen to short stories or science, history, etc lectures on YouTube. Almost an unlimited selection.

Sometimes music...Mostly rock.

Fortunately no music or TVs on we play Snooker and Pool at the Legion or Community centre. I don’t like music and especially TVs bring on at our pool hall. Fortunately they will turn off the speaker closest to us.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I like music. For the most part, it's background noise while I'm playing. Kind of like white noise machines or how some people need the sound of a fan to sleep. I like to switch genres, it helps me learn to tune out distractions. I'll even let the "younger crowd" pick out some "bangers" regularly. I listen to everything, from pre war blues, to bluegrass, to EDM, classical, rock, about anything really (except that crap they call country that plays on the radio today, a guy has to have limits).

My personal favorite is a 3 part expansive album that sounds like you're harvesting the spice melange in the Dune world. The sound is just so ethereal in a good way.

It's a slow burn but I have the feeling you'll dig it based on the music you like. When you think you have the volume perfect, give it a couple more clicks 😂.

Another one I enjoy for pool playing is "Echos part 1 and 2" from the Live in Pompeii album from Pink Floyd. The live version of Do you Feel We Do by Peter Frampton is good pool music, I think it's close to 20 minutes! I have a bunch of old records and like spinning a few whole LPs while shooting. Check out some of the stuff everybody has forgotten like Moody Blues, or the entire Tommy album. With youtube, it's also dead easy to listen to live stuff from years ago. Live recordings are a great way to enjoy your old favorites in a new way, and there's a TON of it out there, many directly from the soundboard.

Here's an odd one that will get you in a state for pool playing. Total calm and focus. If you're ever in a pool room/bar that's a bit too rowdy, this song will instantly get everyone just chilled out.