my 3 favorite pool players to watch

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buddy at his peak, Keith and Filler. But I wish I could've seen more of Cole Dickson.

If it's just current players, then Filler, Alex and Albin.

Earl was a great player, but after awhile it's too much like watching your crazy uncle at a Thanksgiving dinner.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
1. efrin of course for his unbelievable planned shots
2. chris melling for his fantastic exciting outs from nowhere
3.. earl for his antics

tony honorable mention
everyone else is boring
Earl--yes for his antics
Grady- Always seemed to be rushing
Fedor - Seems like the perfect stance, stroke and result

I’m not going to say Efren even though he’s clearly top 1 all time watchable player. Just too easy…

Corey Deuel, Alex Pagulayan and Earl just cuz you absolutely never know what he will say or do.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler and Shaw are the best to watch today, by far, IMO. #1 reason is they are fast! Number 2 reason is they are champions.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd never known about Lori Shampo until I read a great writeup on her in Freddy The Beard's The "Encyclopedia" of Pool Hustlers, which is easily the most entertaining and informative book ever written about the legendary road players of pool. Lori was one fearless woman.
There was a Mr. Pockets or similar in Santa Monica at the end of Wilshire. I went there one day to check the place out. She was there practicing on the far end - spot shot maybe. Kept missing and retrying the shot. Just some stranger to me but the work ethic stood out.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yea some also great picks.

many boring ones just because they play so well. like watching a rat going around a cage for hours at a time

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great match from 1993 of Earl vs Sigel. I want to see current pros play on equipment like this.

jbart65

I never heard of Efren Reyes until I got back into pool in 2022. No idea who he was. Since then, watching billiards have become more preferred form of sports entertainment.

Two lists, old and new.

OLD GUYS: Efren, Sigel, Buddy Hall.

Every time I watch Reyes, he does several things I don't expect - and acts like it is all very normal. Sigel was a talker, but pool needs characters who can play. And Buddy was a big guy with a velvet touch.

Oddly, Earl doesn't do much for me, great as he is.

NEW(ER) GUYS: Hard not to like players like Gorst and Filler, but I'd go with Albin Ouschan, Niels Feijin and Eklent Kaci.

Kaci. My current fav. Hope he is 100% after his injury. I saw him absolutely smoke Filler in the UK Open right before he got hurt. Kaci was just coming into greatness. Strikes me as a modern cross of Buddy (the game) and Sigel (the desire to mouth).

What I love is Kaci just wants to talk smack, but given the protocols these days, he does it before a match. I think he got into Filler's head before the UK final. He would have been a talker all right back in the day. Oh, and he can do everything on the table.

Ouschan the former hothead is now cool as a cucumber. Looks like Val Kilmer in the original Top Gun.

He's an odd type. I have never seen such a great player sometimes look so bad at the start of a tournament. Missing shots I never see a pro miss. Then ... he either improves quickly or just never gets out of the gate. Odd.

Sometimes, like Efren, Albin pulls off these crazy-ass shots that you don't expect. Like the long angled draw at the Mosconi where he set up his partner nice. Did the same with Mario in the WC of Pool.

Feijin. An old and new guy. Not the most gifted player certainly, but no one at a high level will outwork him. He is a relentless competitor with high intelligence about the game. Never afraid of the big moment.