My Dinner w/Dr. Dave & Bob Jewett

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wanted to report to all of you about on my dinner this evening with Dr. Dave & Mr. Jewett, but I didn't understand a word they were talking about :yikes:. Sorry.

Actually, Bob is in Fort Collins doing some high speed videos and working on some other stuff with Dr. Dave for our education and enjoyment. It should be very interesting once it's completed. But we did have a nice dinner - and I wasn't kidding about not understanding all their engineering talk. :smilewinkgrin:.

Dave
 
Last edited:
12squared said:
I wanted to report to all of you about on my dinner this evening with Dr. Dave & Mr. Jewett, but I didn't understand a word they were talking about :yikes:. Sorry.

Actually, Bob is in Fort Collins doing some high speed videos and working on some other stuff with Dr. Dave for our education and enjoyment. It should be very interesting once it's completed. But we did have a nice dinner - and I wasn't kidding about not understanding all their engineering talk. :smilewinkgrin:.

Dave

That's all right. Neither of them can understand how you can play so great despite not being able to read a menu :-)

I am sure that they were completely overwhelming with the tech talk.
 
JB Cases said:
That's all right. Neither of them can understand how you can play so great despite not being able to read a menu :-)

LOL! When are you going to visit us?
 
"best practices" not always needed

JB Cases said:
That's all right. Neither of them can understand how you can play so great despite not being able to read a menu :-)
It is true. It is difficult to comprehend how Dave G can play pool so well with those eyes, with his upright billiards stance, with his elbow-dropping piston stroke, and with his grip-tightening cue lift on power shots. It just goes to show that "best practices" aren't necessary for all players to excel. :o

Regards,
Dave
 
12squared said:
I wanted to report to all of you about on my dinner this evening with Dr. Dave & Mr. Jewett, but I didn't understand a word they were talking about :yikes:. Sorry.

Actually, Bob is in Fort Collins doing some high speed videos and working on some other stuff with Dr. Dave for our education and enjoyment. It should be very interesting once it's completed. But we did have a nice dinner - and I wasn't kidding about not understanding all their engineering talk. :smilewinkgrin:.

Dave

Where's Drivermaker when you need him?

Jeff Livingston
 
Bob videos

12squared said:
Bob is in Fort Collins doing some high speed videos and working on some other stuff with Dr. Dave for our education and enjoyment. It should be very interesting once it's completed.
We are having our last session today. I wish we had a week because we really just got started.

I convinced Bob to let me film him demoing some stuff (e.g., 2-times fuller frozen ball system). Bob is "a natural" (maybe even a bit of a "ham") in front of the camera. I'll try to post the videos later in the week.

Back to work,
Dave
 
3-cushion

dr_dave said:
It is true. It is difficult to comprehend how Dave G can play pool so well with those eyes, with his upright billiards stance, with his elbow-dropping piston stroke, and with his grip-tightening cue lift on power shots. It just goes to show that "best practices" aren't necessary for all players to excel. :o

Regards,
Dave

It must be the 3-cushion background.

I've seen him read a menu quite effectively.

Dave is a great player though, my favorite to win any tournament here in Colorado
 
dr_dave said:
We are having our last session today. I wish we had a week because we really just got started.

I convinced Bob to let me film him demoing some stuff (e.g., 2-times fuller frozen ball system). Bob is "a natural" (maybe even a bit of a "ham") in front of the camera. I'll try to post the videos later in the week.

Back to work,
Dave

What are you guys collaborating on?

pj
chgo
 
cuesblues said:
Dave is a great player though, my favorite to win any tournament here in Colorado
No question about that. DaveG is great, even with his 50-plus-year-old eyes and 3-cushion technique.

Regards,
Dave
 
Patrick Johnson said:
What are you guys collaborating on?
We did a bunch of video demos of various types of shots, some stroke analysis experiments, some masse secondary contact stuff, some kick angle experiments, and some tip efficiency experiments. I'll try to edit and post all of the video over the next week. We also plan to write several related articles in the near future.

Regards,
Dave
 
dr_dave said:
It is true. It is difficult to comprehend how Dave G can play pool so well with those eyes, with his upright billiards stance, with his elbow-dropping piston stroke, and with his grip-tightening cue lift on power shots. It just goes to show that "best practices" aren't necessary for all players to excel. :o

Regards,
Dave

What????? :D I thought I had perfect form :eek:. I might never be able make another ball the rest of my life after hearing this!!!

And for those that do not know, Dr. Dave & I are friends so all this is friendly banter. And I have known Bob Jewett for many years while living in Northern California. But I did almost break Dr. Dave's lights trying to hit the ball hard for a measurement. Sorry :o.

Ted "cuesblues" has always over-rated my game so pay no attention. Hi Ted.

Dave
 
dr_dave said:
We did a bunch of video demos of various types of shots, some stroke analysis experiments, some masse secondary contact stuff, some kick angle experiments, and some tip efficiency experiments. I'll try to edit and post all of the video over the next week. We also plan to write several related articles in the near future.

Regards,
Dave

Wow -- you two locked in a room for a while is quite a team!

I don't know whether we can get any previews here, but is it true what many assume that hard tips are generally more efficient than soft tips?
 
tip efficiency

mikepage said:
Wow -- you two locked in a room for a while is quite a team!
We had a great time and got lots of work done. I hope we (maybe with your help next time?) can do it again soon.

mikepage said:
I don't know whether we can get any previews here, but is it true what many assume that hard tips are generally more efficient than soft tips?
I haven't processed all of the data yet, but the phenolic tip break cues seemed to have much better efficiency than the leather-tip playing cues.

Regards,
Dave
 
I'm not worthy

12squared said:
dr_dave said:
Originally Posted by dr_dave
It is true. It is difficult to comprehend how Dave G can play pool so well with those eyes, with his upright billiards stance, with his elbow-dropping piston stroke, and with his grip-tightening cue lift on power shots. It just goes to show that "best practices" aren't necessary for all players to excel. :o

Regards,
Dave
What????? :D I thought I had perfect form :eek:. I might never be able make another ball the rest of my life after hearing this!!!

And for those that do not know, Dr. Dave & I are friends so all this is friendly banter. And I have known Bob Jewett for many years while living in Northern California. But I did almost break Dr. Dave's lights trying to hit the ball hard for a measurement. Sorry :o.
Thanks for explaining. Some people might have thought I was being critical. ;)

I wish I could play half as well as you (no kidding),
Dave
 
Wish I was There. The first time in my life I would have to keep my mouth shut....SPF=randyg
 
Back
Top