My experience working at BCA in Vegas

Gil,

The art wraps are very sick. Keep up your endeavors because, in time I believe people will understand that you are the man changing the way people see and feel about the wraps on their cues.

I will be calling you about an art wrap for a big cue I am building next month.

Keep up the great work,

Rick
 
Gil,

The art wraps are very sick. Keep up your endeavors because, in time I believe people will understand that you are the man changing the way people see and feel about the wraps on their cues.

I will be calling you about an art wrap for a big cue I am building next month.

Keep up the great work,

Rick

Rick,

Every once-in-a-while we all need a boost to keep going because sometimes you feel like you're not reaching the people the way you had hoped and every once-in-a-while you get that boost.
Out of all the compliments and praises I have gotten since I introduced the Cue Tattoo your words have sparked new life in what I'm trying to do.

Thank You,
Gil Castillo
 
Tony, when did you start making cues? How many have you made? Hope your doing well my friend

Tony, when did you start making cues? How many have you made? Hope your doing well my friend

Steve, I did sent you a pm but I had to update the thread to add a bit of information about myself.

I was born in Lisbon, Portugal in 1969.

I've been playing billiards (3 cushion) since I was 12 years old.
Since I came to the states, 20 years ago I continued to develop my interest in pool. I was a cue collector before I ever thought about putting a tip on.
6 years ago I got tired of driving 90 minutes to have my tips fixed in Sacramento so I bought a Hightower Midsize lathe
I owned almost all cues except Szams or Bushkas, even owned a sneaky searing and a boar.
My philosophy in cue building is great choice of woods and playability and I always improve my building skills.
Southwest is my biggest influence, I owned like 7 SW's. Sugartree and Bluegrass play a big roll on my wood choices, specially due the Eric's knowledge of woods. Everything else is all about trial and error.
My cues don't play like a SW and the taper is different but they play solid and stiff, not overly stiff. I don't want people with a 2x4 on their hands.
Cuemakers that inspire me and that I learned from... Unknown, yet my best friend and bad s cuemaker Jacob Hulsey, love Kent Davis work and Pete Tonkin is an amazing inspiration and good friend as well.
Leon Sly has been a good help as well, his tips and tricks get me out of trouble in many situations.
My finish skills (still trying to get better) were learned from a neighbor and friend of mine that used to do most of the custom autobody paint work for Jeff Gordon, the NASCAR race driver.


My cues use most of the times a flat face 3/8x10 wood to wood with phenolic joint or ivory sleeved over phenolic.

Pricing... my cues start at $650.00 with 2 shafts with matching butt joint protector and rings at all positions.

My equipment?


2 taper shapers from Unique Products, 1 metal lathe, 1 CNC with a rotary 4th axis from Shopbot, a 14" bandsaw, a Jet drum sander, wood lathe for sanding and finish and working on building my finish booth.

About me? Love European soccer, used to be in the music business in my younger days, I am married and have 2 kids, a girl with 6 years old and a boy with 12 that is already taller than me, he's almost 6' :eek:.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top