My first forearm repair and refinish.

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So because I had to get myself a break cue (the shaft shattered on my bk2 after I put a Taom tip on it and the tip cracked after the second break.)

I had an old fury sitting around where the pin broke and cracked the forearm about an in down from the collar. I was doing it more as a proof of concept but out of necessity as well. I had a brand new sneaky peat sitting around with a shaft I picked up for fifteen bucks. so I cut the forearm 5 inches from the collar and then treaded it 5/8-18 thread then cut three inches off the fury and bored a 5/8 hole and tapped it for the female thread. I used a phenolic ring in between epoxied it then screwed it together. I got it to where there is a 6 thousandths variance on the dial indicator so I was only 3 thousandths off. I let it dry then finished it. Then I put a g10 ferule tip combo on the shaft.

What do you guys think. (I mean besides the mismatched wood which honestly isn't really that bad) I think I did pretty good for my first time. I rolled it and you can't even tell its two pieces. I think it came out awesome but I'm sure time will tell. Especially with it being a break cue.

Attachments

• 2015-01-22 17.44.41.jpg
    2015-01-22 17.44.41.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 693
  • 2015-01-22 17.44.47.jpg
    2015-01-22 17.44.47.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 685
  • 2015-01-22 17.44.55.jpg
    2015-01-22 17.44.55.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 692
  • 2015-01-22 17.45.10.jpg
    2015-01-22 17.45.10.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:

tsp&b

Silver Member
I think you have done a fine job!! Some say that experience is the best teacher!!

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you have done a fine job!! Some say that experience is the best teacher!!

Thank you. I think it came out really good. I have showed it to many people and only one person has figured out that i replaced the forearm before i told them. So obviously it was pretty decent at least

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious to know why you used 5/8-18 pin,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm going to put out a guess and say that because he used an old Fury for the project, it's because the shaft was 5/16x18 thread already. My question is why no joint collar? You added one around the repair, but not one to try and prevent the same break again?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to put out a guess and say that because he used an old Fury for the project, it's because the shaft was 5/16x18 thread already. My question is why no joint collar? You added one around the repair, but not one to try and prevent the same break again?

Yeah but he said 5/8-18, not 5/16-18.

Typo?

cammel8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious to know why you used 5/8-18 pin,,,,,,,,,,,

i didn't use a 5/8 18 pin I cored out the forearm that wasn't cracked to 5/8 18 then threaded the new forearm to 5/8 18 so it would screw into the existing forearm.

Actually I just used a sneaky peat forearm that was sitting around. I have no idea what brand but it had a shaft to fit it already so I figured why not, Plus someone offered me 60 for the old shaft that went to the fury because they had a ginger wizard cue so I sold it and used the one from the sneaky pete.

As far as the collars. That is next on the list. Im doing little things at a time so i don't get overwhelmed.

Also the pin broke and the forearm cracked because of a malfunction of my end post. Not because of the force of the break. I was cleaning it and the end post loosened up and the stick broke free and the pin snapped off.

I actually have no fear of the pin breaking again. But I want to put collars on for aesthetics purposes. Im actually thinking of doing holly collars. Just to see if I can. This is kind of my practice stick.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You put forth good effort and your reward will be what you learn from it.
Well, that and now you have a break cue. Lol

KJ