My first Gold Crown refurbish

Looks good.... I corn blasted mine, took 45 minutes, then a very light sanding and stain and clear coated, took max 4 hrs to do it all, other than driving to the corn blast man. The pocket Staples showed me this was likely not in a pool room it's entire life and the top rails are not worn at all. Enjoy.
 
Looks good.... I corn blasted mine, took 45 minutes, then a very light sanding and stain and clear coated, took max 4 hrs to do it all, other than driving to the corn blast man. The pocket Staples showed me this was likely not in a pool room it's entire life and the top rails are not worn at all. Enjoy.
I can only speak for the last 15 or 20 years and it was not in a pool hall. It was in Meucci Cues' show room. They are remodeling and needed the space.
 
A cheap one that I got off of Amazon years ago. I am open to suggestions.
Wondering if you'd get a smoother finish using a Purdy Parrot roller cover. What the gun is laying down looks kinda rough.

It might be worth while to see if a cabinet guy would shoot everything for you.
 
Wondering if you'd get a smoother finish using a Purdy Parrot roller cover. What the gun is laying down looks kinda rough.

It might be worth while to see if a cabinet guy would shoot everything for you.

I'd suggest that it is more the type of paint. I shoot my wood projects with automotive paints, they just lay down so much nicer. I used Summit brand paint on my El Camino, and on my GCI.
 
I'd suggest that it is more the type of paint. I shoot my wood projects with automotive paints, they just lay down so much nicer. I used Summit brand paint on my El Camino, and on my GCI.
I disagree. I used SW Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel Semi Gloss on my table. It's got very good leveling qualities which resulted in a very smooth finish through my Graco sprayer with an FFLP tip.


59235596178__6F0EBEB9-48D3-49B1-9F2A-FA2BCD2AE777.JPG
 
I'd suggest that it is more the type of paint. I shoot my wood projects with automotive paints, they just lay down so much nicer. I used Summit brand paint on my El Camino, and on my GCI.
I had to repaint my friends Mercury Bravo stern drives after a body shop did a not so good job. I used PPG automotive base/clear coat. It was only the second time I was using my HVLP gun and I am by no stretch of the imagination a painter/body guy. The base coat went on real nice but the clear coat went on real thick and orange peely like it was not thinned enough. In the time it took me to walk around the stern drive spraying clear it smoothed out like a dead calm lake. Weird experience. I would definitely lean towards automotive finishes just for the durability.
 
I disagree. I used SW Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel Semi Gloss on my table. It's got very good leveling qualities which resulted in a very smooth finish through my Graco sprayer with an FFLP tip.


View attachment 901801
Wow that looks good...hard to believe that is the same paint that I am using. I have some new pics from what I did this weekend. It looks much better but nothing like this.
 
Quite a few of these screws were stripped and some were bent...someone suggested I fill the holes with glue and toothpicks but I decided to drill all holes and dowel them. I replaced the flathead screws with Phillips.
 

Attachments

  • 20260418_143014.jpg
    20260418_143014.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20260627_102454.jpg
    20260627_102454.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 4
  • 20260627_102457.jpg
    20260627_102457.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20260627_150558.jpg
    20260627_150558.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20260627_150758.jpg
    20260627_150758.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 4
Decided to resize the pockets to 4.5". The ends of the rails were soft to I trimmed them back and added oak to extend them. The rails still had some soft wood so I chiseled that all out and filled it with oak as needed. I sanded it down smoothe but no pics.
 

Attachments

  • 20260627_110232.jpg
    20260627_110232.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20260628_145634.jpg
    20260628_145634.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20260627_143646.jpg
    20260627_143646.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20260418_142732.jpg
    20260418_142732.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 2
The legs were in horrible shape. After I cleaned them up I saw that someone have used a pipe wrench to adjust the table height and they had deep marks. I thought I would fill with bondo and have them painted but that was starting to look expensive. My wife suggested that I should buy some new ones so I did. I couldn't be more pleased with them.
 

Attachments

  • 20260419_162019.jpg
    20260419_162019.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20260419_162032.jpg
    20260419_162032.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 7fa4021e-66b5-41f3-ac8e-07799a5885c8.jpg
    7fa4021e-66b5-41f3-ac8e-07799a5885c8.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 2
Polished the formica the best that I could. Just didn't have the guts to try to replace it. Getting the glue off the rails from the old rubber turned out to be a challenge. I finally decided to make a skim pass through my table saw. They cleaned up nicely. Added superspeed K55 rubber.
 

Attachments

  • 20260525_125225.jpg
    20260525_125225.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20260525_141254.jpg
    20260525_141254.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20260920_161936.jpg
    20260920_161936.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top