My first new custom cue

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been looking for awhile, and actually at a few other makers, but saw this one and decided to give it a try. It's a not a maker I was originally looking at, but it's by DZ cues and he is putting a 30" shaft on it for me as that is the length that I prefer to play with. Bob seemed real nice to deal with, and am actually now discussing another idea that i may want of a more plain jane player. I'm really looking forward to seeing this cue when it arrives, but as I'm not home a lot lately, asked him to hold it till I knew I would be home. Hopefully we can work out a time when I know I'll be home in the next few weeks or so as I really want to try and actually use this cue for league this fall. One more pic of the fore arm.

Attachments

• DC_GD2A4765fbr.jpg
    DC_GD2A4765fbr.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 300
  • DC_GD2A4849dcfbr.jpg
    DC_GD2A4849dcfbr.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 302
  • DC_GD2A4732fbr.jpg
    DC_GD2A4732fbr.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, it was a cue that he had, and I sort of liked it for the simplicity of it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a DZ cue- one that he features on his website- bought it from a guy here on AZ- I will say of the many, many varied customs that I owned, Bob's work is fantastic in every aspect of construction and the playability is right there too! Best of Luck- you will love it!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been looking for awhile, and actually at a few other makers, but saw this one and decided to give it a try. It's a not a maker I was originally looking at, but it's by DZ cues and he is putting a 30" shaft on it for me as that is the length that I prefer to play with. Bob seemed real nice to deal with, and am actually now discussing another idea that i may want of a more plain jane player. I'm really looking forward to seeing this cue when it arrives, but as I'm not home a lot lately, asked him to hold it till I knew I would be home. Hopefully we can work out a time when I know I'll be home in the next few weeks or so as I really want to try and actually use this cue for league this fall. One more pic of the fore arm.
Have you seen any of his YouTube videos? If not take a look, he has about 125 videos.
You'll appreciate what you've chosen much more after watching how he works.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I actually have watched many of his videos and because of those, had no worries as to ordering a cue from him. Also it was really nice working with him to get a shaft close to the dimensions I wanted right away, instead of having to accept 2 shafts that weren't really what I wanted just to get a cue that I liked. I realize that's the way it is on a higher end cue that is in stock at most places, so this worked out really good for me, and he was a great person to deal with also. You hear all these horror stories about cue makers, yet in the two that I have dealt with, Bob at DZ, and Nitti, both seemed like great people, and I would have no reservations about having a custom build done by either.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you! I have never heard, read or seen anything negative about Bob or his cues. That says a lot about him given the fact he is not a new cue maker and that bad news travels at the speed of light. So it is good for you and Bob. Looks like a beautifully executed cue and I can see why you might want a slightly plainer cue for leagues and travel as well. I had Dave Kikel build me a special cue and felt exactly like I suspect you feel. Sadly for me Dave was nearing the end of his career and did not wish to build plain cues at the time.. Enjoy your cue and thanks for the pics!

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old school style pool case from the early 80's to put the cue in that would really go great with that car. Also used to have a red1960 Chevy convertible 348 when I was in high school. Those were the days.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old school style pool case from the early 80's to put the cue in that would really go great with that car. Also used to have a red1960 Chevy convertible 348 when I was in high school. Those were the days.
Awesome! 1960 Impalas are sweet cars.

Hmmm 348..the precursor to the 409? Yes?

Rusty in Montana

Very nice pool cues ! I also just received my first custom cue it's a Scott Erwin and yes I really enjoy playing with it even if he's not the most popular person for a cue or repairs .

As for old school cue cases I've got one made from saddle leather ( rather thick ) that's lined with felt and the seams were buck stitched .
My first custom made pool cue a sneaky Pete I carry it in some pic pipe with a glued cap on one end and a clean out adapter on the other .....

Now I wonder how many heads exploded when they read that ha ha

Rusty in Montana

Thank you , I can't wait to get a chance to settle into a normal routine so I can sneak in some table time with it . I've got a few production cues I really enjoy playing with but the one Scott made is special .

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! Very nice, my taste in cues as well. That’s a nice Hot Rod Lincoln to, looks to be about a 63 Continental, with those signature suicide doors.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just a brief update. Got the cue last Wed, arrived in perfect condition, and packed very well. Fit and finish, flawless. Had him put a 30" shaft on it with a 3/4" ferrule, and asked that the tip be somewhere between 12.75 and 12.85. Ended up measuring about 12.82mm. Cue feels great in the hand, butt 15.4 oz I think, total weight about 19.2 oz, but feels lighter compared to my Schons that are the same apx weight. Balance about 18 3/4 to end of butt, weight bolt not sure, but I think he mentioned an aluminum one maybe? Funny that my Schons balance at around 19", but the DZ actually feels more forward balanced. Hard to describe, but it's a real solid and neutral feeling cue in the hand. Now as to the hit of it, and keep in mind that I am not real qualified here as I am just an average player. I have shot with this cue for a little over 3 hrs and my take aways are, at first the hit seemed soft, and that supprised me, it's much crisper now and I think all it was at first, was the initial shaping of the tip as supplied was quite rough and now after playing for a few hrs that roughness is gone, and I'm sure the tip has broken in some. The tip, a Triangle I think, harder than the Ultra skin fire mediums that I have been using, holds chalk really well, and I'm growing to like it. I have a cue lathe, and at first was thinking of changing it, but have decided against that for now. The shaft, not sure what taper I actually have but really like it. I have been using Jacoby Ultra shafts on my Schons, and may eventually get one for this DZ, but for now am really happy with the standard wood shaft. Wife and I met some friends yesterday afternoon to shoot some pool and go out for dinner after. Shot a couple practice games before going and not only had a table run, but ran the rest also, then had a table run against my friend with about 5 games played, for me this was good shooting. Does this cue play better than my Schons? Not sure, but I really like it so far and plan on making it my playing cue for now.