My Home Pool Room Journey

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sweet, I love it when a plan comes together. You'll be shooting pool before you know it.

runout1961

Ecclesiastes Ch. 12: 1-7
Silver Member
Maxx, Dead Money, That’s what I’m thinking! Should be picking up the table on the 29th of this month. The room obviously won’t be done yet but at least that part is figured out. The table will sit disassembled patiently waiting to be installed.

runout1961

Silver Member
Picked up my table today. I was able to get one of the tables from the legendary Drexeline Billiard Club in Drexel Hill, PA. I went with an oversized 8’ Gold Crown 4 (9’ will not fit). Was able to get the table, Brunswick light and a few old posters for the walls. It will sit patiently waiting for the lower level to be completed.
406d20f6aca72161be24254951f6e026.jpg

de9ffda43ab34d0748c741d6e65592e0.jpg

2213bb1b744ba7a48404eb101e789470.jpg

915886aa616cbd04f252d11c22c65536.jpg

75d58ab32e4ea61628e8bd7c9583d8e6.jpg

1d56f17c93636a646e30179c4a22eeb1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gearheadzs

I have that same light over my Gold Crown IV. I converted it to LED by using two 24"x 48" Edgelit 4K LED's from home depot, then added a wireless dimmer control module and wireless switch, so I could just plug the light into a non switched outlet and not have to run extra wires. I also replaced the diffusers with Parabolic Louvers, the same that Diamond uses on their lights. Turned out perfect, and can dim to the perfect level for me, or to remove table glare on camera when streaming games.
Good luck with your project, looking good so far.

runout1961

Silver Member
I have that same light over my Gold Crown IV. I converted it to LED by using two 24"x 48" Edgelit 4K LED's from home depot, then added a wireless dimmer control module and wireless switch, so I could just plug the light into a non switched outlet and not have to run extra wires. I also replaced the diffusers with Parabolic Louvers, the same that Diamond uses on their lights. Turned out perfect, and can dim to the perfect level for me, or to remove table glare on camera when streaming games.
Good luck with your project, looking good so far.

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. Good info there. Might look into doing the same for my light. Your setup sounds pretty good.

runout1961

Silver Member
I’ve had quite a few interruptions with other projects around the house over the last couple weeks. A few small things (grind nails off the walls, take nails out of joists, fill holes in floor, clean up wiring etc.) still need to be done downstairs but demo is pretty much finished.

You can also see the subframe of the Gold Crown 4 and Brunswick light leaning up against the wall covered by a drop cloth with the 46x92 mock-up that I was playing around with to try and figure out the table layout.

7982b1cf6afe3f5cf3552951a3da31c3.jpg

c767bb14c35b458c094564ad0c2d870f.jpg

8bd4a6d18ca5327c2cf92b7a5428559c.jpg

e82b2331b19cabf5b61c8345574839b5.jpg

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice. It is clear you have done a lot since the last update. It is clean and nearly ready for build out now!

runout1961

Silver Member
Nice. It is clear you have done a lot since the last update. It is clean and nearly ready for build out now!

Thank you! It doesn’t look like much right now but considering how it was when we moved in, a lot has been done. Took about 9 or 10 6.5’ pickup truck beds full of debris to get to this point so far.

Very nice!

Thank you!

I’m liking the posters!

Thanks. Bob Maidoff, the owner of Drexeline has collected some pretty incredible items over the years.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Haha! This thread is like going down "memory lane"! All worth it in the end. Love having my 9'er with no obstacles. Good luck getting it to the finish line.
*You're gonna have me dreaming about my jackhammering tonight!
I've been to Drexeline many times. Sad it closed.

runout1961

Silver Member
Haha! This thread is like going down "memory lane"! All worth it in the end. Love having my 9'er with no obstacles. Good luck getting it to the finish line.
*You're gonna have me dreaming about my jackhammering tonight!
I've been to Drexeline many times. Sad it closed.

Will definitely be worth it in the end. I wish I had enough space for a 9’er. With a 60” cue and 7” of backswing, the room is just a few inches too short. I’m ok with an oversized 8 though. Just slightly smaller than a 9’ and you can still play one pocket and straight pool without things getting overly crowded. All good.

Drexeline has been in that location for about 35 years if I’m not mistaken. I do believe they have plans to reopen at a new location close by.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Will definitely be worth it in the end. I wish I had enough space for a 9’er. With a 60” cue and 7” of backswing, the room is just a few inches too short. I’m ok with an oversized 8 though. Just slightly smaller than a 9’ and you can still play one pocket and straight pool without things getting overly crowded. All good.

Drexeline has been in that location for about 35 years if I’m not mistaken. I do believe they have plans to reopen at a new location close by.

Yes. I heard they have plans for a new spot.
You really threw me with that Texas avatar and then Drexeline! I was born and raised in DELCO.

Last edited:

Geosnookery

Really enjoying this journey. Admire the ingenuity and DIY effort.

Reminds me back 1980 ago when I was 26 and built my own house in Nova Scotia. I was just out of the military and working as a geologist. I got an extra part time job with a building supply store to get a discounts and learn ‘stuff’. I was going to buy a fixer upper but quickly learned it’s easier to build from scratch than do major renos.

An aside re table size. I have a friend with a 9’ table in a room that is a couple inches too short on two sides. It’s actually not that common to have a cue ball on the rail and hitting directly across table. There’s almost always some angle. Might happen once an evening when we are playing. He has a house rule that the cue ball is just moved 3 inches out the rare time it happens.

runout1961

Silver Member
Really enjoying this journey. Admire the ingenuity and DIY effort.

Reminds me back 1980 ago when I was 26 and built my own house in Nova Scotia. I was just out of the military and working as a geologist. I got an extra part time job with a building supply store to get a discounts and learn ‘stuff’. I was going to buy a fixer upper but quickly learned it’s easier to build from scratch than do major renos.

An aside re table size. I have a friend with a 9’ table in a room that is a couple inches too short on two sides. It’s actually not that common to have a cue ball on the rail and hitting directly across table. There’s almost always some angle. Might happen once an evening when we are playing. He has a house rule that the cue ball is just moved 3 inches out the rare time it happens.

Thank you. Your kind words are greatly appreciated. I’m doing what I can when I can and hope the end result will be worth it. Surely it will. It won’t be the fanciest home pool room out there but it will get me stroking again and that’s all that matters to me.

Building your own place must have been one hell of an experience. That’s great.

I wish I wasn’t so picky about having a full cue around the table. I agree with you that those rare times when I’ll be shooting off the rail in one of those trouble spots are slim but when it does happen, it would bother the hell out of me lol. I’d much rather guarantee that will never happen if possible. But I hear what you mean and appreciate you charging the info about your friends table.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other solution is to play great shape and then use the narrow side to screw up your opponent by sticking him on that rail early and often! :eek: :devilish:.......but for most of us including me it is sledge hammers and smaller tables to make it nice to play.

runout1961

Silver Member
The other solution is to play great shape and then use the narrow side to screw up your opponent by sticking him on that rail early and often! :eek: :devilish:.......but for most of us including me it is sledge hammers and smaller tables to make it nice to play.

Yes sir. Couldn’t agree more.

runout1961

Silver Member
I talked to Oscar from Pool Table 911 this morning who is considered to be one of the best pool table mechanics in the country who happens to be local to me. He is also known on AZB. We set a date for the table to be assembled on May 4th. As you can see from the pics above, a lot needs to be done to make this happen. I really have to get in gear and have the lower level completed by then. Hopefully.

Last edited: