My impression of Judd Trump

middleofnowhere

Registered
But that's sort of the point, as someone who's presumably knowledgably about cue sports already you're not the target market, its more the casual fan.

I think this will work to some extent in raising the profile of pool in the UK, as for the reverse, like you I'm not yet convinced, but give it time, who knows!
The last time I was in Great Britton and the Netherland I was in a number of snooker rooms and pool rooms. I was told by one very wealthy owner who owned at that time seven snooker rooms that they were phasing out about 50% of their snooker tables and replacing them with pool tables.

That's what the young people want they want to play pool. The tables are less expensive take up less room and earn more money than the snooker tables did. It's simply economics.

That's not to say that Snooker is about to disappear anytime soon it's not it's a cultural thing in Great Britain and Europe in general. But it's not what it used to be.

In fact in the one interview with Judd Trump he comments that young people just aren't playing snooker he didn't know where the next generation of players was coming from.

Forget about snooker ever having any kind of start in the US that's not happening. Those tables take up too much room in fact many pool rooms actually opt for 4x8s just to squeeze another table or two in.

Rooms that do have a snooker table if it doesn't get golf play then it's gone.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Wasn't he just commentating on how nicely the table played under the TV lights and with new cloth?

That's a fairly standard comment (for him at least) about how he prefers playing on the TV table as the conditions suit him better.
You must not have heard all of his comments. To be fair I went ahead and fast forwarded to hear exactly what he said and what he actually said was "To be perfectly honest this table is so much better than what I've been practicing on."
So he didn't say the table they gave him was garbage, not in so many words.

Last edited:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must not have heard all of his comments. To be fair I went ahead and fast forwarded to hear exactly what he said and what he actually said was "To be perfectly honest this table is so much better than what I've been practicing on."
So he didn't say the table they gave him was garbage, not in so many words.
I don't think that's necessarily negative, although I can see how it might appear that way. He always prefers the TV tables and an older practice table without a new cloth presumably does play worse, so its fair enough. I'm sure Diamond aren't going to lose too much sleep over it ;-)

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last time I was in Great Britton and the Netherland I was in a number of snooker rooms and pool rooms. I was told by one very wealthy owner who owned at that time seven snooker rooms that they were phasing out about 50% of their snooker tables and replacing them with pool tables.

That's what the young people want they want to play pool. The tables are less expensive take up less room and earn more money than the snooker tables did. It's simply economics.

That's not to say that Snooker is about to disappear anytime soon it's not it's a cultural thing in Great Britain and Europe in general. But it's not what it used to be.

In fact in the one interview with Judd Trump he comments that young people just aren't playing snooker he didn't know where the next generation of players was coming from.

Forget about snooker ever having any kind of start in the US that's not happening. Those tables take up too much room in fact many pool rooms actually opt for 4x8s just to squeeze another table or two in.

They just seem to be shutting down, rather than installing pool tables (but I do agree with what you/Trump are saying there)!

Over here (particularly in the cities) land values are so high that snooker club's simply aren't viable. Pool tables offer a better return, but of course if going down that route, a 7 foot English table is more appealing.

Either way, growth appears to be unlikely at the moment in the UK and from what you say the same in the US!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what you're saying in reality he just fooled me and he's actually a total prick.
While he does well, in one interview he did compare snooker to golf and basically said golf was a more worthwhile pursuit.
Financially it certainly is lol have you seen the pay outs

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Have a look at the prize money and the number of ranking tournaments in snooker over the years and it will become quite clear that snooker is, in fact, at the top of its popularity right now (primarily on account of the ever growing Asian followership).

The prize fund for the 2020 and 2021 World Championship was £2.4m (roughly $3.4m)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sense is that this is more about promoting Pool than it is promoting Snooker… Pool needs Trump more than Trump needs Pool… Judd Trump | Make Pool Great Again 🕺