My table moving story

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
So as some people know, Broadway Billiards went out of business and sold off all of their tables. I went down on Friday and told them I would like to purchase a table (gold crown III - $500!). They said show up at 10am on Saturday to pick it up. I didnt leave any money down, didnt think anyone would swoop in and get them all with 1 day notice.

Show up the next morning at 9am with a truck... someone swooped in and got them ALL. Including mine! Lucky for me, it was my friend AC who ones a few rooms in the city. I actually told him about the sale. So he agreed to just sell me one of the tables. I was told they would all be broken down at 10am... they wernt and I had no tools with me. So AC told me to just come back later with a truck and his guys would break it down.

Its now about 11am, I get home and look up Uhaul locations and book a cargo van for 4pm. Take a quick nap and go pick up the uhaul at 3:30. When I get there... they gave away my van. They had nothing left. So I tried other locations. Track a place down after 40 min, get there.... no van. A VERY long story short, went to 4 Uhaul locations and got ZERO Uhauls even after leaving my credit card # over the phone. I was very mad and nearly arrested at the 4th location.

Its now 8pm. My last attempt was to go to Home Depot/Lowes/Ikea and look for the guys standing around out side with vans. (for those not familiar with this, in the city, when you go to theses stores there will be about 15 people with trucks/vans that you can pay to take your things home for you since most people dont have cars) So after an hour, I find a guy who is willing (didnt understand what a pool table was) and only had a Ford Windstar MINIVAN! Well, if its all ya go, its all ya go. I was going to make it work. Guy wanted $80. SOLD!

So we show up at Broadway with everyone laughing at the minivan. Its all I got, I will find a way. So first thing was first, I had to break down the frame into 9 pieces and the rails into 4. An hour later, we managed to get everything in there and BAIRLY got the door closed. 20 MPH down the west side highway, in the tunnel and into Brooklyn with the side rails sticking all the way up to the steering wheel. The hard part has just begun.

My apartment is way to small for a table but my friend has a large basement. Only problem... spiral staircase!!!!! It took ALL night and 3 guys, but we got it all down. Now a little cleaning, a week to recover, someone to set this thing up and Im ready to rock!

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

table3.jpg

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got my 7 foot table home from a friends house with my bmw 318ti. Two trips...one for the all the rails and legs and wood and one for the slate. I could have fit it all but I didn't want to buy a new tranny. lol

beetle

Do I bug you?
Silver Member
I'd like to see RealKingCobra carry one of his 1 piece Diamond Pro-Am's down those stairs!

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
That spiral staircase looks like the kind that wobbles everytime you go up and down. So I commend you on getting the slates down in one piece through those stairs. Thanks for sharing your story.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
That spiral staircase looks like the kind that wobbles everytime you go up and down. So I commend you on getting the slates down in one piece through those stairs. Thanks for sharing your story.

It was actually pretty sturdy, just a very tight space. I think I will hire people to get it out when that day comes.

why not the door?

I was looking at the photo with part of the table assembled and see a door there! Why not use that door instead of the spiral staircase? Is that a door?

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I was looking at the photo with part of the table assembled and see a door there! Why not use that door instead of the spiral staircase? Is that a door?

That is the door to a boiler room. You walk through that door, up 6 steps and there is another door thats bolted shut. Its an old prewar building, Im sure at one point that door served more of a purpose and Im sure through that door was an easier way, but not much we could do. I wish it was that easy.