My theory on why they use a purple 5 ball

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
They did it because Emily thought it would "look pretty"????
I wonder how many people in the tournament shoot the three ball and play position to get on the purple ball knowing it (would normally be a 4ball) and then realized it was the five. That would suck.

I don't know if any players get confused, but it sure confuses me when watching! 🤬

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As much as I love no longer being confused by 4 really dark balls in the traditional set while watching streams on my phone, I think they should always put the brown seven in the wing spot. I know I always do.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some people feel it helps when I tell them pink is a four letter word and the pink is the four ball.

Pink to the Purple. This U.S. Open stream is absolutely breathtaking. I’m loving the commentary. I love it when Nick and Jeremy are commentating together.

Lonnie

I really dislike watching pool matches where the 5 ball is not orange, but making the 5 ball purple (what I want the 4 to be), is extra annoying. The same thing goes for the matches where the 6 ball is not green and the 7 ball is not maroon.

Instead of changing these traditional colors, shoot the video in 4K, and we'll be able to see the number written on the ball!

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
MR: Let’s make color friendly balls.
Aramith: Okay.
MR: Show me a classic TV set.
MR: Let’s brighten and saturate the colors to contrast tournament blue better.
MR: The pink 4 works great .
Aramith: Sure does.
MR: Orange 5 seems hard to see. Let’s make it purple.
Aramith: But…
MR (interrupts): We will spend a ton of money on these. What were you about to say?
Aramith: Oh nothing. Here’s that purple 5.
MR: Looks great.
Aramith: Sure does

Audience: Purple 5 is stupid
MR: You need to get modern, baby
MR: Get over it
MR: …
MR: …
Multiple decades of pool playing dictates that color recognition.

I think orange pops on the grey cloth quite well.

But, if there one thing pool players know how to do, it’s adjust.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Multiple decades of pool playing dictates that color recognition.

I think orange pops on the grey cloth quite well.

But, if there one thing pool players know how to do, it’s adjust.
I see your thought on that. Respectfully, my opinion is contrary. I think (strong) pool players are analytically positioned well to adapt to conditions on a pool table. And that’s being generous given the general billiards watching audience only perceive themselves as strong (myself included). But in terms of tradition, culture and emotions.. human beings are not well suited to adjust. Adapting to change is a talent and most people do that quite poorly. I’m not saying we should stagnate. But being a change agent requires a degree of savior faire and the purple 5 ball was an example of MR making a short sighted decision and sticking with it for opaque fiscal reasons. They’ll come around. They just can’t afford to quite yet.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
its so that the viewers have to listen to the commentators, to know which balls are which......
Commentators are tripped up from time to time as well.

I'm boarderline embarrassed for them when they squabble over how a shot should be played, only to realize one of them was entirely playing position on the wrong ball. Happens semi-routinely.