My thoughts on my new cloth (ProForm)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is why I am hesitant to ask them to do anything atm. I found some mechanic off Facebook and he would charge $600 to install new felts, shimming the pockets further, reveling and applying Bondo. The local store used beeswax only. The price for simonis 860 is another $490 or so
Red flag here. A competent mechanic would deter you from stacking facings or “shimming” the pockets. It’s not the correct way to tighten the pockets and causes themto play dead.

vincett

Red flag here. A competent mechanic would deter you from stacking facings or “shimming” the pockets. It’s not the correct way to tighten the pockets and causes themto play dead.
Thank you very much ! I just realized this much. So, in order to properly reduce the pocket sizes, what else can you do beside the largest shimmer ? I believe I have 1/4” in there and the throat opening is still 4.6” somewhere along that

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you very much ! I just realized this much. So, in order to properly reduce the pocket sizes, what else can you do beside the largest shimmer ? I believe I have 1/4” in there and the throat opening is still 4.6” somewhere along that
Add wood to the ends of the subrail, recut the pockets and install new rubber and facings. IMO, 1/4” is about as thick as you should go.

vincett

Add wood to the ends of the subrail, recut the pockets and install new rubber and facings. IMO, 1/4” is about as thick as you should go.
So, wood to the sub rail facing with new bumper and facing afterward ? This will change the clothes as well ?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, wood to the sub rail facing with new bumper and facing afterward ? This will change the clothes as well ?
Existing facing and cushion need to be removed prior to adding the wood. Yes, new cloth will be required for the rails.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
It will also be a lot more expensive, and even harder to find someone competent and experienced enough to do the job properly.
Depends on how picky you are going to be about how it plays. Some people are OK with the drawbacks of thicker facings since it's relatively easy and cheap.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
If you're a purist, want it to be perfect, and don't mind spending the extra cash, go with the sub-rail extensions and new cushions.

If you just want it to play a little tighter, and don't want to spend a fortune, go with thicker facings. You could install a 3/8" thick facing, so long as you use 50A durometer rubber.

Keep in mind, most pool players can't tell the difference, unless you point it out to them. Even then, it's a toss-up, whether they actually notice the difference, or just think that they do.

In either case, you'll want to make sure that the installer is competent, or it will play poorly.