My trip to California and meeting with Jay Helfert

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Hello AZB,

I don't get to post too often anymore, nevertheless, I still have the occasional need to share an experience that doesn't include an aiming or a "whats wrong with pool" thread. :)

Friday morning, on a last minute decision, my wife and I decided to drive to California to visit Gary's Victor Pool hall in Victorville, CA. About half way there I sent a message to Jay that I was going to be in town and he was quick to open an invite to stop by.

We went to the pool hall in Victorville for a few hours, the next day went to hollywood blvd, then headed down to meet with Jay Helfert. My wife and I felt very welcome as we sat and exchanged some stories while watching the football game. Then my wife and I were treated to some fine LA dining and we talked about different aspects and thoughts on pool.

We came back to the house where we played some one-pocket on one of the nicest diamond tables I have ever played on. I started off strong but in the last two games, Jay put together a nice 6 and out, then an 8 and out.

Thanks for a great time Jay. If you haven't read Jay's book, Pool Wars. Get it because if you enjoy pool, its a must read. If you already read it, keep an eye out for the next one. :)

Carl B

Attachments

• Cali Road Trip 034.jpg
    Cali Road Trip 034.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 490
  • Cali Road Trip 036.jpg
    Cali Road Trip 036.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 553
  • Cali Road Trip 037.jpg
    Cali Road Trip 037.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 476

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You must feel really great to have played a champion like Jay!

Hello AZB,

I don't get to post too often anymore, nevertheless, I still have the occasional need to share an experience that doesn't include an aiming or a "whats wrong with pool" thread. :)

Friday morning, on a last minute decision, my wife and I decided to drive to California to visit Gary's Victor Pool hall in Victorville, CA. About half way there I sent a message to Jay that I was going to be in town and he was quick to open an invite to stop by.

We went to the pool hall in Victorville for a few hours, the next day went to hollywood blvd, then headed down to meet with Jay Helfert. My wife and I felt very welcome as we sat and exchanged some stories while watching the football game. Then my wife and I were treated to some fine LA dining and we talked about different aspects and thoughts on pool.

We came back to the house where we played some one-pocket on one of the nicest diamond tables I have ever played on. I started off strong but in the last two games, Jay put together a nice 6 and out, then an 8 and out.

Thanks for a great time Jay. If you haven't read Jay's book, Pool Wars. Get it because if you enjoy pool, its a must read. If you already read it, keep an eye out for the next one. :)

Carl B

Man I am happy for you and your wife meeting Jay and playing pool with him and going to diner together. What a visit to California! A good New Years present to yourself and your wife.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the due date for Pool Wars II? Sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to hear Jay's stories first hand.

rayjay

some of the kids
Silver Member
That must have been a great experience for you and your wife! I really like the photo of shaking hands across the table. A 6 & out and an 8 & out, eh? Sweet!
:p

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks

Thanks for sharing your experience with Jay......looks like nice hospitality by Jay.......but did you really expect to come out on top in his home court on his home table? Just kidding. Thanks again

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing your experience with Jay......looks like nice hospitality by Jay.......but did you really expect to come out on top in his home court on his home table? Just kidding. Thanks again

I was under no illusions that I would best him at all. Fun and educational was the name of the game. :)

Carl