My very accurate 3-rail kicking system. No crazy math required.

NUMBnS1L3NT

Are you familiar with the "spot the wall" 3 rail kick system? If not I would recommend learning it first as it is the starting point of this 3 rail kick system i discovered. If I stumbled upon a system that already exists then please forgive me for claiming it to be mine but based on my research it does not exist.
So here is the system and I'll try my best to explain: all shots require rolling English and a consistent speed once the spot the wall location for that pocket is found. It works best if there is a wall or something that is 4-6' away from the table. I place a dot sticker on the walls surrounding my table for each corner pocket. All object ball locations i use as examples are frozen to the rails. Place cue ball at random position on table, find the spot the wall location for the target pocket. While aiming at the spot the wall point, imagine where a line from your cue to that point intersects the long rail. This intersection point on the rail can be very precise, dividing the diamond sights into 1/4s and even 1/8ths. This point is now considered to be "0" (zero). From here you will "rotate" your aim counting either up the long rail (away from you) or down the long rail (toward you) depending on the object ball location. By "rotate" your aim i mean to spin or pivot as if the cue ball is the fixed center. Like hands on a clock rotating from the fixed center.
If the object ball is located on the long rail then you would count down the long rail from "0" and if the object ball is located on the short rail then you would count up the long rail from "0".
How far you count up or down the rail from the "0" point is determined by the diamond number that the object ball is located at. 1 diamond for o.b. equals 1/2 diamond on the long rail you are aiming at. If o.b. is at the first diamond on the long rail then you would rotate aim from where your the spot the wall aim line meets the rail("0"), down toward you by 1/2 of a diamond on the long rail you are aiming at. If o.b. is on The second diamond long rail, you rotate aim down by 1 full diamond.
If o.b. is on the second short rail diamond the you rotate aim up the rail by 1 full diamond. Again a more precise aiming, counting and deviding of diamonds will result in a more precise hit on o.b.
For me this system has proven to be accurate down to 1/2 of a ball diameter. Once you become more familiar with the cue ball path you can apply this to balls that are not frozen to the rails.
I should also state that I have wood inlays that devide my diamond sights up into smaller 1/4 increments, making it much easier to use this system as it requires precision.
I hope I explained it well enough. Very difficult to explain. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or need clarification. Good luck. Let me know your results and how/if this works on your table.
Weston Fairris. 1/8/2023

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you familiar with the "spot the wall" 3 rail kick system? If not I would recommend learning it first as it is the starting point of this 3 rail kick system i discovered. If I stumbled upon a system that already exists then please forgive me for claiming it to be mine but based on my research it does not exist.
So here is the system and I'll try my best to explain: all shots require rolling English and a consistent speed once the spot the wall location for that pocket is found. It works best if there is a wall or something that is 4-6' away from the table. I place a dot sticker on the walls surrounding my table for each corner pocket. All object ball locations i use as examples are frozen to the rails. Place cue ball at random position on table, find the spot the wall location for the target pocket. While aiming at the spot the wall point, imagine where a line from your cue to that point intersects the long rail. This intersection point on the rail can be very precise, dividing the diamond sights into 1/4s and even 1/8ths. This point is now considered to be "0" (zero). From here you will "rotate" your aim counting either up the long rail (away from you) or down the long rail (toward you) depending on the object ball location. By "rotate" your aim i mean to spin or pivot as if the cue ball is the fixed center. Like hands on a clock rotating from the fixed center.
If the object ball is located on the long rail then you would count down the long rail from "0" and if the object ball is located on the short rail then you would count up the long rail from "0".
How far you count up or down the rail from the "0" point is determined by the diamond number that the object ball is located at. 1 diamond for o.b. equals 1/2 diamond on the long rail you are aiming at. If o.b. is at the first diamond on the long rail then you would rotate aim from where your the spot the wall aim line meets the rail("0"), down toward you by 1/2 of a diamond on the long rail you are aiming at. If o.b. is on The second diamond long rail, you rotate aim down by 1 full diamond.
If o.b. is on the second short rail diamond the you rotate aim up the rail by 1 full diamond. Again a more precise aiming, counting and deviding of diamonds will result in a more precise hit on o.b.
For me this system has proven to be accurate down to 1/2 of a ball diameter. Once you become more familiar with the cue ball path you can apply this to balls that are not frozen to the rails.
I should also state that I have wood inlays that devide my diamond sights up into smaller 1/4 increments, making it much easier to use this system as it requires precision.
I hope I explained it well enough. Very difficult to explain. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or need clarification. Good luck. Let me know your results and how/if this works on your table.
Weston Fairris. 1/8/2023
Make a video of it. Far easier to see these in action than trying to decipher text.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few pros I know teach using a spot on the wall, or some other object at a distance you can guess at to calculate kicks, chair, cup, whatever. I have heard it several times from various people and specifically when Ralph was in a local pool hall doing lessons, he went over that as one of the kicking systems. A lot of the players there really enjoyed learning that one.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey op,

I would like to buy a preposition for $100, please. I pick "on".

A few pros I know teach using a spot on the wall, or some other object at a distance you can guess at to calculate kicks, chair, cup, whatever. I have heard it several times from various people and specifically when Ralph was in a local pool hall doing lessons, he went over that as one of the kicking systems. A lot of the players there really enjoyed learning that one.
Dr. Dave calculated the ideal distance the spot should be from the table for 3 rail, 2 rail, and 1 rail kicks. Worth knowing if you like using spot on the wall instead of math to calculate the diamonds.

Last edited:

NUMBnS1L3NT

Yes spot the wall is a well established system. My contribution is the way the diamonds are counted and the way you pivot your aim on the cue ball.

NUMBnS1L3NT

I get the impression that none of you have actually gone on a table and tried this before leaving a comment. Spot the wall is the starting point of the system and is not something I came up with, as clearly stated. I thought the pool community would be welcoming of an accurate and useful way of getting out of a defensive shot or poor position with 3 rail kick.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get the impression that none of you have actually gone on a table and tried this before leaving a comment. Spot the wall is the starting point of the system and is not something I came up with, as clearly stated. I thought the pool community would be welcoming of an accurate and useful way of getting out of a defensive shot or poor position with 3 rail kick.
Stay with it. I think it has merit but I haven’t been to a table yet so I’ve refrained from commenting.

I realized that you are talking about an add-on system to the spot on the wall system but it seems some folks might have missed that.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That spot on the wall thing seems to be quick and dirty reverse trig based on interdimensionally convergent lines. I'm sure BJ or PJ can nail it down to the arc second.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
In one of his demo videos of recent VEOPS (dedicated to One Pocket) Dr.Dave shows a very interesting approach, similar to 'spot on the wall' system. The one I have not seen before.

...Pool knowledge is vast. The more you get to know, the better you understand there is another level. As if you are in a sphere which only gets larger, as you unfold the inner level of knowledge :)

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This has been around at least since 1955 that I can remember. Put a ball on the spot and you get 25 shots (3 rails), playing the balls where they stop, to pocket the object ball. A good player usually does it in 10-15 tries!

With the ball on a Diamond long track line, aim a Diamond up from the spot on the wall. For a ball short, aim short. Use spin to compensate for the side pocket.

It gets a lot easier if you play ball in hand on every shot.

The internet has a lot of stuff for free, but some stuff you still have to pay for!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Other than the spot on the wall, it is a standard diamond 3-rail counting system.
the op has you find the "mother track" to the corner.
then use the spot on the wall to get to the corner from almost anywhere
the adjustments from the "mother track" are as mitch alsup stated
standard 3 cushion billiard adjustments for tracks
i have not seen this blend of the material presented exactly like this before
jmho