My visit to Schmidt Billiards, Wheeling, WV...

CarlB

Formerly AfghanBilliards
Silver Member
Ok. I have been driving around since I have been back from Afghanistan and trying to visit different pool rooms. The only room I had set in my mind to not miss was John's room in Wheeling, WV, Schmidt's Billiards.

I had gotten to meet Mr. Schmidt when I was stationed at Ft. Irwin, CA while playing at Gary's Victor Billiards a few years ago, I got to see what a great guy John was. It was then that I began to look up to him for his game ability, personality, and his love for the sport.

On 8 july my travel began towards Wheeling and I was excited already. My wife and I got into town around 1am and we got a room in anticipation for going to the pool room the next day. We explored the town for a bit then went to the parking lot a little before opening. Mr. Schmidt came pulling up on his motocycle with his golf driver hanging off the side. I chuckled as I got out to shake hands and he greeted my wife and I warmly as if we hang out all the time.

The room is cozy with a lot of regulars. Despite most of them thinking I was a ringer brought in, the crowd and atmosphere were welcoming. John treated my wife and I as his guests and I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but despite having a very bad day, John was a wonderful host and I couldn't imagine a better visit.

We played some one pocket, talked a bit, but overall my opinion of John Schmidt remains the same. He is a class act and as far as a representative of professional pool players, Mr. Schmidt is the pinnicle. If your ever in the area make sure you visit.

John, if you read this, thank you for a great visit, you got the breaks. :)

Carl

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

RogerChambers

Straight Pool
Silver Member
Visit to John's

Carl,

I wish I would have known you were in town. I would like to have met you and your wife. Its not too often a fellow AZB member is close by. I live about 22 miles from Wheeling and would have liked to chatted and swapped stories. :smile:

You are right about John. He is truly a nice guy and a fine representative of the sport. :thumbup:

Thanks for your service to our country!

enzo

Banned
Ok. I have been driving around since I have been back from Afghanistan and trying to visit different pool rooms. The only room I had set in my mind to not miss was John's room in Wheeling, WV, Schmidt's Billiards.

I had gotten to meet Mr. Schmidt when I was stationed at Ft. Irwin, CA while playing at Gary's Victor Billiards a few years ago, I got to see what a great guy John was. It was then that I began to look up to him for his game ability, personality, and his love for the sport.

On 8 july my travel began towards Wheeling and I was excited already. My wife and I got into town around 1am and we got a room in anticipation for going to the pool room the next day. We explored the town for a bit then went to the parking lot a little before opening. Mr. Schmidt came pulling up on his motocycle with his golf driver hanging off the side. I chuckled as I got out to shake hands and he greeted my wife and I warmly as if we hang out all the time.

The room is cozy with a lot of regulars. Despite most of them thinking I was a ringer brought in, the crowd and atmosphere were welcoming. John treated my wife and I as his guests and I'm not at liberty to discuss details, but despite having a very bad day, John was a wonderful host and I couldn't imagine a better visit.

We played some one pocket, talked a bit, but overall my opinion of John Schmidt remains the same. He is a class act and as far as a representative of professional pool players, Mr. Schmidt is the pinnicle. If your ever in the area make sure you visit.

John, if you read this, thank you for a great visit, you got the breaks. :)

Carl

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I got the chance to hang with john a few times too, and i could not agree with you more. i saw him in HERE a few times act a little out of charatcter as far as i was concerned, but i now know that this was probably caused by the frustration that ive seen and experienced so many times in this forum. also, he's not the best typer (i mean that in a nice way), but he is a great communicator and speaker, i think he comes off 100 times better in person, which is a blessing if you ask me. anyway, he really is a great guy and loves pool to no end. nice post!!!

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed, John's a good dude. I hope to visit his room some day.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Schmidt Billiards

Welcome home and thanks for your service! John used to come to our place many years ago as a traveling player before rising to the level of one of the best players in the world. Even then, he was a nice, respectful guy who was great to have around. I hope he does well with his room and would love to visit someday.