My Wife Could Go Pro

minnow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so let her!

Of course by let her I mean encourage her!

There is an organized path for women to take - find a regional tour for her to play on and let her show you how easy it is

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
I found the match to be not to darn bad. The opening games seemed to be a real safety duel back and forth, with only a few mistakes made. When a run out presented itself, it was done. Alot of the shots were tough. The middle games went rather well a few lucky shots here and there, but again some good safeties great jumps and a few shots missed.The last few games were played under intense pressure and it showed, alot of misses, some lost C/B control. I've never seen them play before ,but with one being a 14.1 champ i would be willing to guess that both were not playing up to their true speed.

My thoughts ...if your wife plays better than that all the time she should give the tour a try, only way to find out is go for it..Good Luck..Thanks for posting the match.

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
I am excited... now I just have to talk her into giving it a try (that will be the hard part). I think she would have a blast, if I can get her out there.

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
Well lucky for you...

CTYankee said:
I am excited... now I just have to talk her into giving it a try (that will be the hard part). I think she would have a blast, if I can get her out there.

I'm having a BCA Vegas Qualifier on April 14th/15th at Prime Time Billiards in South Amboy, NJ. Send her on down!

Barbara

Handsumm

Banned
CTYankee said:
This is not a bash at women's pool. The only women I have really seen are the best of the best on ESPN. Today I was watching this match http://propoolvideo.com/ladies-spirit-tour/spirit-tour-opener---semi.html
Is this indicative of the lower teir women pros or just two people having a bad day at that table? Because if this is usual play, I honestly think my wife could go pro.
I agree. I posted on this earlier. This is low B player stuff. They have average ball pocketing skills, bad cue ball control, weak breaks, below average safeties, and show way too much emotion to be considered pros.

Neither of these women would get in the money in our weekly $7 entry nine ball.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The tour is easy. All she has to do is be able beat X Pan, Allision, Kelly, Ga Young Kim, Karen, Monica, Lee, Vivian, Gerda, Helena, and about twenty others with a little less talent. Nothing to it.:D Johnnyt

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
lol.... lord knows she is not in the same league as those players, but if she could win a round or two, I think she would really enjoy it.

Handsumm

Banned
I think the top ten women are far and away better than the bottom 95%. Hell, Xiao-Ting Pan, Jasmin, Karen, and Allison could compete with the men. They would probably be somewhere near low to middle men pro players.

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
Belmicah,
You bring up an interesting point... why don't those upper echelon compete in more men's tournies? Is there a prohibitive law, or is the popularity of women's pool such that it does not make sense for them to play often with the men?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
CTYankee said:
lol.... lord knows she is not in the same league as those players, but if she could win a round or two, I think she would really enjoy it.
I was just joking. I hope she does well and has a little fun too. Johnnyt

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
CTYankee said:
Belmicah,
You bring up an interesting point... why don't those upper echelon compete in more men's tournies? Is there a prohibitive law, or is the popularity of women's pool such that it does not make sense for them to play often with the men?
Yes and yes. Johnnyt

smokeandapancak

what?
Silver Member
Really .... a law , JohnnyT?
Pool is one of those things that I dont see why there is a diferent leauge... like chess... there isnt a real physcal asspect to the game .. so why the difference?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
smokeandapancak said:
Really .... a law , JohnnyT?
Pool is one of those things that I dont see why there is a diferent leauge... like chess... there isnt a real physcal asspect to the game .. so why the difference?

I don’t know the exact reading of the WPBA rule but I think any tournament a WPBA member wants to play in has to be sanctioned by the WPBA or have their permission to play in it. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong. Johnnyt

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're going to judge a tour or league based on the lower-ranked players, you are only in for a big surprise. There are professional pitchers I can wallop and professional cornerbacks who would have a difficult time covering me. It means nothing. The only thing that this match illustrates is that perhaps production firms should be slightly more selective on the players/matches they choose to represent their business and our sport.

Trust me when I say this - I've seen Karen Corr quite a few times at Joss events (she's there all the time, I'm not) and her performance is consistently competitive. She's regarded as one of the top players in a field that often features some of the best men in the world. Amazingly, she is NOT the WPBA's top ranked player and some argue that things will be more difficult for her in the near future.

My point is, "Women's Professional" is a term that has been constantly evolving. You think your wife can go pro? Well, you better tell her to step up soon because I can assure you, that too will change.

Handsumm

Banned
CTYankee said:
Belmicah,
They do. I think I saw recently that Karen Corr won a tourney with top mens players.

CTYankee

Mark Twain's Table
Silver Member
Perhaps I should restate my initial post... the best women in the world at pool are phenomenal at what they do. The whole point of my thread was to get a feel for the lower end of these tournies to see if my wife would have a fighting chance to win a match. I have always felt she was a solid player, but could never talk her into playing competively. Do I think she would ever win a tournament? Not a chance... not even a local tournament. But I think she would have a great time if she had a fighting chance to win a round.

I meant no disrespect to the women pool players of this world. On the contrary, I love watching what they do. But, as I stated earlier, I have seen very little in terms of qualifying rounds, so thought I would broach the subject here to become educated on it. So as not to throw her to the wolves. :)

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played against and know quite a few women pros. The top 10 in general have the talent to run over 100 balls in straight pool. The women from 10th through 20th can probably run around 75. And the women from 21st through 40th in general have the talent to run around 50 balls.

This is a quick, easy, and granted, over-simplified way, in which your wife can see if she measures up.

I think Jude might agree with me on these numbers.

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
the best women players can easily play against the men, but since they both have different tours it makes things difficult. i dunno if anyone saw black widow vs. the magician, but jeanette lee played efren in phillipines once. she lost but then again efren is arguably the best player to have ever lived. she managed to get some racks on him so it was a good showing. point is i think some of the women can easily compete with the men.