Name a pool hall you wish was still open today

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Morehead Billiards in Charlotte, NC around 1980.

There was over 50 Brunswicks in the downstairs of an old bowling alley. Great place to be.

I don't have any pictures yet.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Paddy's 7-11, NYC, upstairs above the Metropole Cafe'. Every champion, hustler, short-stop and "civilian" passed through the doors of the "7-11".
Ames Billiards, dark and classic. Became famous after "The Hustler", then quickly descended into a dive.
Chelsea Billiards, elegant room when it first opened in Manhattan. Downstairs was filled with action...the beautiful people played upstairs.
McGirr's was an "old school" poolroom where many Broadway and theater guys played. Lots of suits and ties.
The Golden-Q in Queens, where a newbie had better watch his back and his cue.
Julian's on 14th Street. The worst tables toward the end of its life. Using Julian's bathroom was an event you'd never forget.
Steinway Billiards served the best food of any poolroom in my experience.
West End Billiards, Elizabeth NJ. Every Tuesday night the 9-Ball Tournament was a world class event. Lots of action and great tables.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Guys & Dolls and USA Billiards, both in Maryland. I’ve been in a lot of pool halls in my life but I saw just about everything you could ever see in a pool room in both of those places. From drug dealers getting taken off for a 6 figure score and actually paying it right there in cash, to a guy that always harped about how he didn’t carry a wallet and that his bank roll was “right here” tapping his front pants pocket and watching him fall asleep in a chair and have a guy take a box cutter and cut open his pocket while he slept and take it, to a Pimp calling a pay phone on 14th St. in D.C. to get one of his girls to collect from his stable and drive out into Maryland to give him a fresh cash infusion. When pool was colorful.

Damn, I was another who toted his roll in his pants pocket! Tight jeans might have been harder or easier to cut undetected, I don't know. Secondary stashes were my cowboy boots. When I woke up in the morning and it looked like somebody had made it rain twenties and fifties I knew I had a nice night! Came home tired and forgot to pull the money out of my boots before taking them off.

Hu

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Damn, I was another who toted his roll in his pants pocket! Tight jeans might have been harder or easier to cut undetected, I don't know. Secondary stashes were my cowboy boots. When I woke up in the morning and it looked like somebody had made it rain twenties and fifties I knew I had a nice night! Came home tired and forgot to pull the money out of my boots before taking them off.

Hu
I think almost all pool players I’ve met do. This guy just talked about it a bit much. What’s funny is they left a little note in his lap that said, “if you’d had this in a wallet you’d have been sitting on it and still have it”.