Need a cue smith

fishblade2

Registered
I live around Athens, GA. I'm in need of some cue work done on a cheaper shaft I recently bought to increase end mass. I needed to know if there was any highly recommended or at least well known cue smiths in the area that could be recommended. I am looking for highly skilled in woodwork and knowledgeable on cue ball squirt who will take the time to communicate. Any information that would allow me to look them up and contact them would be greatly appreciated. I will also take any cue smiths that are well known that accept you mailing them shafts because I would be willing to do that also.

Thanks,

Talmadge

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last 20 years of cue tip technology has been to reduce tip mass--and now you want to increase it ??

Should be pretty easy::
Remove tip.
Drill hole in shaft
screw in heavy screw
face tip end of shaft
glue new tip on.

But why ?

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The last 20 years of cue tip technology has been to reduce tip mass--and now you want to increase it ??

Should be pretty easy::
Remove tip.
Drill hole in shaft
screw in heavy screw
face tip end of shaft
glue new tip on.

But why ?
Well if you have a straight stroke and looking for a break cue, this might be the way to go.
I knew a cuemaker that would do this to a shaft for more power. Put a nail in the shaft just behind the tip.

Never had the opportunity to swing one of these.

If you can hit dead center I don't think there's squirt problems.
Am I wrong?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TroLOL
21096880_web1_wdfwfish-jsj-200401_1-1024x683.jpg

How much is he gonna pay the latheman?

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try Steve Lomax. He lives out on the NE side of Atlanta. Does fantastic work. Makes beautiful cues.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try Steve Lomax. He lives out on the NE side of Atlanta. Does fantastic work. Makes beautiful cues.
Yeah, I am sure Steve wants to take on this job.

Do some nutty work on a cheap cue for a customer who already said he is gonna require a lot of attention.

What could possibly go wrong?

fishblade2

Registered
First of all I’m trying a personal experiment with a Russian pyramid ball set I own. It’s my desire to have this and all I said I need black-balled was communication meaning someone who will speak with me to understand what I’m wanting. Thank you Nullis for giving me a suggestion since you were the only one to do so. And regarding your comment black-balled if you had a project you thought was important to you and you were unsure about it but wanted to try something I don’t think you would use an extremely expensive shaft right off not knowing end results and that is for me and the cue smith to decide what is good or not, not you.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all I’m trying a personal experiment with a Russian pyramid ball set I own. It’s my desire to have this and all I said I need black-balled was communication meaning someone who will speak with me to understand what I’m wanting. Thank you Nullis for giving me a suggestion since you were the only one to do so. And regarding your comment black-balled if you had a project you thought was important to you and you were unsure about it but wanted to try something I don’t think you would use an extremely expensive shaft right off not knowing end results and that is for me and the cue smith to decide what is good or not, not you.
How much do you think you are gonna pay to have an expert indulge your experiment?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He still hasn't let the cat out of the bag as to WHY pyramid balls would require or benefit from having higher deflection. I've watched it a few times and i don't see where hi-deflect. would be a plus.

fishblade2

Registered
I want the same deflection in the Russian pyramid as I do with my pool ball. That is why I’m trying this experiment. I want to be able to aim the same compensate the same as I do in pool. I need to get the same overall deflection over a full table hard shot and then work on adjusting weight in my cue until my reaction on the ball set when I hit it acts closely with what it does with pool. I don’t like swapping to Russian pyramid, playing it and missing shots due to compensation that’s different, go back to pool and immediately I’m not adjusting enough for squirt. So that’s why I’m needing to increase end mass. But lilac told me that it would most likely need a larger diameter so a new shaft. So guess the idea of modifying my own shaft is a no go.

fishblade2

Registered
On a side note another odd question for the gallery, does anyone here have any experience and could estimate the difference in cue ball squirt proportional to shaft diameter? Don’t know if someone has ever turned down their solid maple shaft and tested the difference they got in the deflection of the ball.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note another odd question for the gallery, does anyone here have any experience and could estimate the difference in cue ball squirt proportional to shaft diameter? Don’t know if someone has ever turned down their solid maple shaft and tested the difference they got in the deflection of the ball.
Contact patrickjohnson. iirc his is a hollowed 9.5 maple. Smallest i've ever used was an 11.5 conical that had very little squirt. I just don't like that size or taper.