Need a weight bolt

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
In need of a 3/8x16 thread weight bolt that has the undercut panhead (flat on the bottom or the head with only a short beveled edge up to the flat top). I need the bolt to be 3.5 to 3.8" long, preferably steel or brass. This is to replace the weight bolt in a NOVA cue. It would also need to be threaded for a screw to hold a bumper.

Does anyone have such bolts or know where I might purchase from a dealer??

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
I don't know if I can muster any sweet talk but I've sent you a message. :grin: Here's an absolutely terrible picture of the existing bolt to show you the shape. I get .81" diameter on the head of the bolt.

Attachments

• bolt.jpg
    bolt.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Some of you have sent me links to standard weight bolts and I thank you, but that isn't what I need. If you will look at the fuzzy picture above, notice the underside of the head is machined flat. What I need has to have that feature. I can find lots of screws made that way but none I've found are over 1.5" long. I need the additional weight of the longer screw to increase cue weight and bring the balance point back a bit.

shamadam

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the existing bolt to light? If so, just take it out, and buy a few of those 3/8-16 set screws with the Allen head hex at Lowes, Home Depot, or the hardware store. Pop in the set screw first, and then re-insert the existing bolt that you took the picture of. You could also buy two shorter set screws and screw them in deeper for a more forward weight. The second screw would lock onto the first set screw so they don't move. Or just have the existing weight bolt lock onto the set screw. It would take a little playing with, but you could get it done. It's a lot easier fix. Check out the link below. It's for a package of 2 at 5/8" long. That would be an extra 1 1/4" of weight bolt.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_137319-3767...currentURL=?Ntt=3%2F8-16+set+screw&facetInfo=

Last edited:

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
I don't know if I can muster any sweet talk but I've sent you a message. :grin: Here's an absolutely terrible picture of the existing bolt to show you the shape. I get .81" diameter on the head of the bolt.

I had one built before you posted the pics.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Some of you have sent me links to standard weight bolts and I thank you, but that isn't what I need. If you will look at the fuzzy picture above, notice the underside of the head is machined flat. What I need has to have that feature. I can find lots of screws made that way but none I've found are over 1.5" long. I need the additional weight of the longer screw to increase cue weight and bring the balance point back a bit.

You were very wise to insist in what you wanted.
There's a reason that Schon, myself and others under-cut the head of the screw.
It bottoms onto a flat surface. I've seen tapered shoulder machine screws used
where a flat shoulder was required and the screw eventually split the butt tenon.

If the bolt is also serving as a mechanical secuering device for the butt-cap,
you wouldn't want a tapered shoulder screw putting lateral presure on the cap
while the screw's being tightened and for thereafter.

Most all cues are different and that applies to their wght-blts also.
Sometimes wght-blts ain't just ballast.

KJ

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone for the helpful ideas and a BIG THANKS to Ryan of RAT cues for fixing me up!