Need advice regarding break

jwalko1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm in need of some advice regarding my break.

I'm playing in both 8-ball tournaments and on an 8-ball league. We play on bar-boxes. In the league, you rack your own, so I know I am getting a good rack.

I have a decent break with good speed (not measured, but I break harder than most people I know). I can spread the balls all over the table, but continually come up dry (maybe 70% of the time). It has actually become a joke with my team mates...I set the table up good for my opponents.

I generally break from a point about half-way between the head spot and side rail from either side and hit the head ball. I've tried moving over closer to the rail and hitting the second ball in the rack...but I don't get the spread with that break...and often my cue ball gets trapped at the foot of the table.

In these leagues...if you come up dry, there is a good chance your opponent is running out...so it is putting me at a distinct dis-advantage.

What should I try...breaking slower...moving the cue ball...different break cue (the break cue I have is OK...but the shaft is a little flexible for my taste...I need/want a new one...but funds won't allow at this moment in time...maybe next month).

Any thoughts or ideas...or ways to practice would be appreciated.

EDIT***I posted before reading the new threads this morning. I just realized there is another similar post about breaking dry. Some good advice there. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated***

Thanks;

John

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I'm in need of some advice regarding my break.

I'm playing in both 8-ball tournaments and on an 8-ball league. We play on bar-boxes. In the league, you rack your own, so I know I am getting a good rack.

I have a decent break with good speed (not measured, but I break harder than most people I know). I can spread the balls all over the table, but continually come up dry (maybe 70% of the time). It has actually become a joke with my team mates...I set the table up good for my opponents.

I generally break from a point about half-way between the head spot and side rail from either side and hit the head ball. I've tried moving over closer to the rail and hitting the second ball in the rack...but I don't get the spread with that break...and often my cue ball gets trapped at the foot of the table.

In these leagues...if you come up dry, there is a good chance your opponent is running out...so it is putting me at a distinct dis-advantage.

What should I try...breaking slower...moving the cue ball...different break cue (the break cue I have is OK...but the shaft is a little flexible for my taste...I need/want a new one...but funds won't allow at this moment in time...maybe next month).

Any thoughts or ideas...or ways to practice would be appreciated.

EDIT***I posted before reading the new threads this morning. I just realized there is another similar post about breaking dry. Some good advice there. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated***

Thanks;

John

It's sounds to me like you are already on the right track. Start out near the center and work your way to the rail until you find that sweet spot. Vary your break speed while making a note of tip placement on the cue ball.

Double check you stance, grip and stroke. Better yet record some video of yourself breaking. Look for flaws in your delivery.

Your break cue is the last place you should look. I'm not saying it's not important but if everything else is good you can get a good break with any decent cue.

Good luck,
Chris

Winston846

Aspiring 14.1 Player
Silver Member
I have this same problem. I break hard and spread the balls well, but come up dry virtually everytime I break. In fact, out of 10 breaks in league so far (break is determined by coin flip), I've only made a ball once (10%), and needless to say I broke and ran. I would have many more break and runs if I can only make a ball on the break. It's to the point that I am considering conceding the break when I win the flip. And I've tried putting the cue ball just about everywhere in the kitchen - nothing seems to work. I always come up "Dolly Parton" - all bust and no balls.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
National average is about 50% for making a ball on the break.

Back off your speed a little?

randyg

champ2107

Banned
sometimes they just don't want to go in! i crush the balls with my break and it feels like for a month now i will make a ball every three breaks for some reason?

Drew

Got a little dog in you?
Silver Member
sometimes they just don't want to go in! i crush the balls with my break and it feels like for a month now i will make a ball every three breaks for some reason?

Stop crushing the rack. Break around 23mph and results will be better.