Need advise

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont recall if I had any longer straight-in shots when I ran those 5, darn near 6, consecutive racks. And I never said I never make longer, straight-in shots. I am just inconsistent with them. I dont know if its my alignment/stance, my aim, or stroke. I suspect the latter.

r/DCP
Okay, I'll explain this. If you have a consistent problem shooting certain shots, then that stroke problem doesn't necessarily mysteriously disappear when you shoot other shots as well. So, breaking and running 5 racks in a row is inconsistent with someone who has trouble shooting longer straight-in shots, regardless of whether or not a straight shot showed up in any of those racks.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, I'll explain this. If you have a consistent problem shooting certain shots, then that stroke problem doesn't necessarily mysteriously disappear when you shoot other shots as well. So, breaking and running 5 racks in a row is inconsistent with someone who has trouble shooting longer straight-in shots, regardless of whether or not a straight shot showed up in any of those racks.

Well, now, Fran, you have a point there. I've wondered the same thing myself. I've often wondered why I make so many other shots but seem to have inconsistency with the straight-in type shots. Granted at times I struggle with alot of shots but every now and then I hit a hot streak and can run some racks. This 5, darn near 6, in a row racks was a rare thing for me. It must have been an extremely good day for me and, as I stated earlier, the balls cooperated and stayed loyal for awhile.

I do agree with your comment. Maybe there's something going on with the stroke or aim or alignment that is causing my inconsistency. Maybe sometimes I do it and sometimes I dont. Too bad you arent closer to Indiana and could help me with it.

r/DCP

Leigh

Registered
Fran, I took your trigger comment to heart and I am creating some positive triggers to get my mind right. So far it really helps. Thanks.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another trigger example is when you are moving along well and then you suddenly wonder when you're going to miss. Then it happens. Most of the simple misses occur due to psychological triggers that the player has created out of habit.

Excellent point here!

I believe Nick Varner was quoted as saying........"Alot of times what you think is going to happen does indeed happen. So you better think good things!....."

r/DCP

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, I took your trigger comment to heart and I am creating some positive triggers to get my mind right. So far it really helps. Thanks.
Great! Remember, it takes awhile to build in new habits so don't be discouraged if you catch yourself reverting back a few times. Also, triggers are mental but you can meet the negative ones with a physical response. For example, When tennis pro Stephie Graph lost a few points in a row, she'd slap her thigh with her hand a few times, which was a message to herself to move her feet more.

Last edited:

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
You claim to post respectfully but you don't. Here's another way you could have responded when I wrote that I didn't agree with your statement: Instead of telling me something as if I didn't know it, you could have asked, what about such and such? Don't you think that it's helpful to do that even without a table? If not, then why not? But no, that's never how you respond to anyone. You are always lecturing us, so yes, you will get reactions like mine every time.

I see that your latest go-to response is that you are a Christian and we're bullies.

Patrick and I have disagreed on some things, yet how come it never escalates to the level that yours does? In fact, none of us agree 100% with everything each other says, yet we 'bullies' are able to keep it civil with each other. Is it because bullies are respectful to fellow bullies but not nice towards Christians? Is that how it works in your world, Matt
I apologize. Please understand--I've been more dogmatic lately, "here's the facts", then Socratic, asking questions, because dozens of questions I've asked have gone unanswered/no response at all.

I'm sad that you are making a factual disagreement on this forum personal (with me). I didn't accuse you of bullying in my thread with Patrick. I do stand behind what I wrote to him, "You bully people who disagree with you and troll people far more than you help people, which is why you've been banned multiple times from this forum."

I'll ask you how I should change my behavior at the forum, but I also ask you to review each change you want to see in me and see if it applies to you also--which is important in empathy.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I apologize. Please understand--I've been more dogmatic lately, "here's the facts", then Socratic, asking questions, because dozens of questions I've asked have gone unanswered/no response at all.

I'm sad that you are making a factual disagreement on this forum personal (with me). I didn't accuse you of bullying in my thread with Patrick. I do stand behind what I wrote to him, "You bully people who disagree with you and troll people far more than you help people, which is why you've been banned multiple times from this forum."

I'll ask you how I should change my behavior at the forum, but I also ask you to review each change you want to see in me and see if it applies to you also--which is important in empathy.
No thanks. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think I'm going to participate in some sort of Kumbaya session with you. Here's a revelation: Try fixing yourself and your own problems without demanding compensation from other people in return. We're not in a negotiation here.

Here's one final lesson of the day for you, Matt --- How to end a back and forth discussion with someone that has gone on way too long and has become fruitless --- Just stop posting and resist the temptation to have to respond to every little thing. Watch me. I do it all the time, particularly with you.

Reactions: bbb

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
No thanks. You're barking up the wrong tree if you think I'm going to participate in some sort of Kumbaya session with you. Here's a revelation: Try fixing yourself and your own problems without demanding compensation from other people in return. We're not in a negotiation here.

Here's one final lesson of the day for you, Matt --- How to end a back and forth discussion with someone that has gone on way too long and has become fruitless --- Just stop posting and resist the temptation to have to respond to every little thing. Watch me. I do it all the time, particularly with you.
Fran, do you see another problem we're having? You wrote "stop being dictatorial when posting pool facts" and then told me you are dictating terms here.

I appreciate your thread concision, but answering zero questions or challenges, is useless not only for us both, but for thread readers.

Unfortunately, I'll need to brief with you and PJ going forward, as you wrote, unless you are more open and kind.

PS. Did you send a note to PJ saying the same? "Just stop posting and resist the temptation to have to respond to every little thing. "

I wasn't posting to air.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is spot on. Just the other day I was playing the ghost and I couldn't run three balls before I would catch a hanger, rattle the jaws, and heck sometime miss by a whole diamond...and these were shots I know my psr was steady and my aim point was on.

Needless to say I got frustrated, so I shot a full rack of long, corner to corner, straight in shots. first few went in, but not clean. I could not hit the pocket dead center. I next put a "ghost ball" out next to my OB and rechecked all my alignment and everything still looked good. I literally had to go through several parts of my stance and stroke before I realized my follow through was coming across my body the least little bit...my elbow was "chicken winging" a little and casing me to come across the cue ball slightly. This in turn also put unwanted english on the cueball which transferred to the OB. Fixed my winging elbow and started hitting the center of the pocket.

My ghost session went much better after that and the misses decreased. All from setting up the long straight in shots and reverse engineering my stroke. Gives me a whole new level of appreciation for those that can run 5 racks!

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Once you get to proficient, I'd highly recommend The Inner Game of Tennis, and Zen in the Art of Archery books. They really help your mental game, but personally I think they work best once you feel you are proficient at a level that personally makes sense to you. They are especially helpful in competition.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran, do you see another problem we're having? You wrote "stop being dictatorial when posting pool facts" and then told me you are dictating terms here.

I appreciate your thread concision, but answering zero questions or challenges, is useless not only for us both, but for thread readers.

Unfortunately, I'll need to brief with you and PJ going forward, as you wrote, unless you are more open and kind.

PS. Did you send a note to PJ saying the same? "Just stop posting and resist the temptation to have to respond to every little thing. "

I wasn't posting to air.
I don't see any problem with your input. Just keep posting.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you get to proficient, I'd highly recommend The Inner Game of Tennis, and Zen in the Art of Archery books. They really help your mental game, but personally I think they work best once you feel you are proficient at a level that personally makes sense to you. They are especially helpful in competition.
I never bought into the philopsych aspect of competition. I always focused on skill and figured better was enough to win. I am though, interested in your take on the stuff.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the inner game of golf is more suited to pool
The ball you hit is not moving
Same theories
I have read both
Jmho

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I never bought into the philopsych aspect of competition. I always focused on skill and figured better was enough to win. I am though, interested in your take on the stuff.
I've not read the archery one yet, though it is always highly recommended. I plan on getting it pretty soon but I have to chill for a bit on purchases after getting my new shaft. Inner Game of Tennis is a really good book. It helped me a lot when I joined a league and got serious about pool. The people I played with noticed an improvement and started putting me against tougher opponents a couple weeks later. It let me play in a more natural style and trust my body instead of going robot pendulum mode all the time, also let me visualize mechanics, shots, safeties, etc. much better. There's talk on getting out of bad habits, keeping your thoughts under control, etc.

It's kind of hard to give a brief synopsis, but it's a book I try to re-read about once a year or so. There are a few tennis specific chapters that I have read but I skip them now. It's obviously not necessary to read it to be a good player, but I think there are a lot of nuggets in there for even seasoned players. It's not too woo woo like some of this stuff. I'm not sure the history of sports psychology, but this had to be one of the pioneers. You can pick it up for like $5 used, so it's pretty budget friendly, definitely even worth the new price with all the valuable info it contains.

I think the inner game of golf is more suited to pool
The ball you hit is not moving
Same theories
I have read both
Jmho
Interesting, I'll have to put that on my wishlist.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. I'm, shocked by this comment. Playing skill does help but there's still the player's frame of mind and how he or she reacts to what's happening. Training your mind to deal with the ups and downs that come with competition is a different kind of skill and takes substantial training to master.

Last edited:

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Man, EVERY coach worth his salt know the value of being mentally prepared. Bulletin Board material has brought down many a team that was much more skilled than their more motivated opponents.

I am willing to bet you've seen or been involved in pool matched where one player breaks mentally and shuts it down...heck look at day 3 of the MC this week.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. I'm, shocked by this comment. Playing skill does help but there's still the player's frame of mind and how he or she reacts to what's happening. Training your mind to deal with the ups and downs that come with competition is a different kind of skill and takes substantial training to master.
Man, EVERY coach worth his salt know the value of being mentally prepared. Bulletin Board material has brought down many a team that was much more skilled than their more motivated opponents.

I am willing to bet you've seen or been involved in pool matched where one player breaks mentally and shuts it down...heck look at day 3 of the MC this week.
Obviously you gotta have your wits about you. Just saying that for me, the pool I can get to happen is what it is. If it's lacking, I go practice.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leigh...You must get your stroke process video analyzed. I suggested going to see PBIA instructor Steve Sherman, at the time you were going to see Jerry. I stand by this...get it done now.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Leigh...You must get your stroke process video analyzed. I suggested going to see PBIA instructor Steve Sherman, at the time you were going to see Jerry. I stand by this...get it done now.

Scott Lee
you think steve is better than jerry?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you think steve is better than jerry?
Better overall? Of course not. Jerry has 7 decades of experience teaching. In this case, clearly. I love and respect Jerry to the moon, but the SPF instructor with a great video analysis technique is superior to anybody else out there.

Scott Lee