NEED CUE REPAIR (anybody)?

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dunno why you would buy your own handle and linen and ask someone else to repair it with that. It's asking for trouble.

Is the original builder an option? At least they'd hopefully know how the A joint was constructed in the first place.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick question. If the handle develops a problem down the road. Whose problem is it?

answer: I supplied it, my problem.

the purple cored handle was misjudged in the tail.
(core was too short)
I'm working with joe @ cue components toward resolve.

as mentioned, an Az buddy got together with me and cue has been shipped.
let's see how it goes, if we're double lucky, there'll be photo's. :grin-square:

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
answer: I supplied it, my problem.

the purple cored handle was misjudged in the tail.
(core was too short)
I'm working with joe @ cue components toward resolve.

as mentioned, an Az buddy got together with me and cue has been shipped.
let's see how it goes, if we're double lucky, there'll be photo's. :grin-square:

Glad you got someone to help out. It does sound to me like you are a reasonable person and wouldn't actually cause problems if things didn't go as anticipated. Your original post makes people hesitate. Self-diagnosing the issue and supplying the materials and setting an expectation of the result which depends upon many factors more than the handle all indicate a significant potential for your expectations to not be met through no fault of the repair person. Should the handle fail because the wood was poorly selected, had significant grain runoff, not seasoned properly, or because wood is just a natural material that can fail down the line with proper care or consequence of future abuse, then no one wants headaches down the road trying to be made responsible for something they weren't or worse yet failure as a result of doing something different than the repair they would suggest feeling pressure to make you happy. Who knows also what they will find when they start cutting into the cue as the problem is on the inside?

It's a neat project. Please stick around and give updates. That'll probably buy you some rep!

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
have a simple cue repair quest.
Need handle replacement.
The only thing I ask is for the cue to be dead straight when completed.
I have the replacement handle and string wrap.

You shouldn't have bought the handle

Looks like a Steve Klapp cue. Just send it to a repair shop, PM me if you need guidance. It's not a cheap fix.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You shouldn't have bought the handle

Looks like a Steve Klapp cue. Just send it to a repair shop, PM me if you need guidance. It's not a cheap fix.

Steve made 2 of this style, 1 Ebony & Maple (the one I have) and 1 Rosewood & Maple.
Cue was severely mistreated when I found it (couldn't forgive that).
The cue maker who's stepped into the zone, Az member Dave38.
Dave's shop is a serious place to get-up with.
I was floored when he accepted my cue to work with, Totally surprised he allotted time.

Checked USPS Track Number and package is out for delivery right now.
(this is going to be so cool) :grin-square:

Attachments

• Dave38.jpg
    Dave38.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 254

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve made 2 of this style, 1 Ebony & Maple (the one I have) and 1 Rosewood & Maple.
I was floored when he accepted my cue to work with, Totally surprised he allotted time.

Congrats to you and good luck to Dave. Let's hope you two are still best friends when he's done. I've seen that picture for years. Which one is you and which one is Dave?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Congrats to you and good luck to Dave. Let's hope you two are still best friends when he's done. I've seen that picture for years. Which one is you and which one is Dave?

Mike, I am on the left...The one on the right is Florian "Venom" Kohler trick shot artist.....Not the owner of the cue. I have not met the owner.
The owner of the cue and I are not best friends (at this time) just looking to help out someone if possible. I have offered to look at the cue and hopefully be able to get it back to shooting balls. The original maker is no longer in business so that is not an option. If I am able to repair, great, If for any reason I feel I cannot or it isn't the best course, The owner will be informed and cue will be returned in original condition.
Dave

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

Tracking is actually showing to be delivered on Monday. I will be home, so will let you know when it has landed
Dave

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, I am on the left...The one on the right is Florian "Venom" Kohler trick shot artist.....Not the owner of the cue. I have not met the owner.
The owner of the cue and I are not best friends (at this time) just looking to help out someone if possible. I have offered to look at the cue and hopefully be able to get it back to shooting balls. The original maker is no longer in business so that is not an option. If I am able to repair, great, If for any reason I feel I cannot or it isn't the best course, The owner will be informed and cue will be returned in original condition.
Dave

Hi Dave
I have watched your progression over the years here. I have no doubt, the cue is in good hands.
Best of luck.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Dave
I have watched your progression over the years here. I have no doubt, the cue is in good hands.
Best of luck.

Good job Dave, sounds awesome and in good hands.

For Michael, I was talking to a customer on the phone the other day, says he was checking out his friends cue recently, his words were like this.

"The leather wrap was so perfect that the seam could not be found."

I can now say, great job to the two of you.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good job Dave, sounds awesome and in good hands.

For Michael, I was talking to a customer on the phone the other day, says he was checking out his friends cue recently, his words were like this.

"The leather wrap was so perfect that the seam could not be found."

I can now say, great job to the two of you.

Thank you Mr. Brainard.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Hi Dave
Best of luck.

Thank you Mike, Your kind words really mean a lot to me. It's been a fun, frustrating, rewarding journey so far.
Dave

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPDATE
Spoke with Az member Dave38 just minutes ago.
No Promises No guarantees , we talked little, I explained history of cue.
He's going to take a look at it. :grin-square:
(yeah baby)

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

No doubt Dave will do right by the cue, if possible. :cool:

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spoke with Az member Dave38 yesterday, after examination the cue came in 1/8th inch top to bottom warp.
Best case scenario was expensive and not worth cue's val;ue.
We agreed to trash the repair and salvage parts only (at least I did).

Dave38 hopefully will chime in to close this thread and leave comments as to what he found exactly.

When cue returns, I promised to give to a local Good Will center which is known for neighborhood billiard donations.
Maybe it'll bring coffee money for the guys in the daily work line (poor bastards).
Well... that's it.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue returned, my effort accomplished nothing.
Curly ribs in shaft at ferrule are up, every stroke is felt at finger tips.
The offset rise measures about 3/16ths inch where the handle plugs into forearm.
like a cat with its back arched.

Thanks goes out to Az Dave38.

Attachments

• AR G B 1a .JPG
    AR G B 1a .JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 222

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Final JPEGs
Custom made by Steve Klapp, North Carolina

Attachments