Need help making leather wrap more tacky

TwoRailDave

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The lizard-embossed leather wrap on my predator le-3 is pretty slick. I would love to make it more tacky somehow. I saw someone mention shoe polish but I'd prefer to stay away from polish. I might try beeswax...any other suggestions? Thanks!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bow-string wax works ok. Comes in a tube like a big chapstik. Get it at archery supply places or Amazon. Stuff i got is Allen's. I've used on too slick linen and leather. Worked better on the linen but not too bad on the leather.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try tennis online supply stores - I believe they have a tack spray for tennis racquet grips

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I sometimes need more cue grip on dry days. From my bowling days I still have this little jar...

https://www.bowlingball.com/images/product/large/4216_2_.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The lizard-embossed leather wrap on my predator le-3 is pretty slick. I would love to make it more tacky somehow. I saw someone mention shoe polish but I'd prefer to stay away from polish. I might try beeswax...any other suggestions? Thanks!
Shoe polish is just wax. Get the clear kind so it won't cause a mess if it comes off.

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use Smith's Leather Balm on my leather goods. It's a very good leather conditioner and protectant. Only three natural ingredients, one of which is bees wax. Works great on all smooth leather (not suede). I wouldn't say that it makes the leather "tacky", but it definitely acts as a moisturizer. You can get it on Amazon.

Last edited:

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could try gluing on some rhinestones, and if it's still not tacky enough for you just add one of those big aluminum biker jacket zippers. 😁

(Thought you already had enough practical suggestions.)

TwoRailDave

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank-you everyone for the suggestions. Rhinestones it is! JK, I'll start with beeswax and try out some of the other suggestions if that doesn't work. I've heard Kangaroo has a really nice grippy feel but I've never held a roo wrap before.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leave that cue as is and just buy another cue, wrapless of course, and a plain maple shaft.
Chunk that other shit away!

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
Thank-you everyone for the suggestions. Rhinestones it is! JK, I'll start with beeswax and try out some of the other suggestions if that doesn't work. I've heard Kangaroo has a really nice grippy feel but I've never held a roo wrap before.
With that ROO WRAP you'll JUMP better.
😉👍

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the best approach is to use a leather conditioner for automobiles or furniture.
It should help soften the leather and that in turn leads to a softer, more tacky grip.

You may have to do it several times over the course of several days, not all at once
This allows the leather to get some air drying but I expect 2-3 treatments should do it.