need new ferrule advice

sidepocket1970

Registered
i have been doing minor cue work for some time. now i have purchased a gameroom and a lathe and need to know the tools and technique to remove and install ferrules...thanks

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have been doing minor cue work for some time. now i have purchased a gameroom and a lathe and need to know the tools and technique to remove and install ferrules...thanks

Go here and buy the books and vid's.
http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?page=book_video

The last thing that you want to do is start "winging" it on peoples cues. You will be out of the repair business before you ever get started. The money that repair work brings in is handy, but be confident that you know what you're doing before you take on any job. Start hacking up peoples cues and your lathe will be a big paper weight because word will spread about your bad work.

dave sutton

Banned
Type of lathe is a good ?

General tool u need are tennon threater 5x16-18. 1/4 drill bit. Center drill set. 5x16-18 tap ferrule material Sand paper 400 600 1000

sidepocket1970

Registered
i have several old shafts to play with and im not gonna do a ferrule repair for anyone until i know what im doing...dont worry..what is the tools i need for removal and what is best to turn them down with...thanks

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
Tools

i have several old shafts to play with and im not gonna do a ferrule repair for anyone until i know what im doing...dont worry..what is the tools i need for removal and what is best to turn them down with...thanks

Pick up a thick piece of leather. If you have a Tandy Leather store near you, they usually have a box of scrap leather pieces that you can get really cheap. To remove the old ferrule, run the lathe in reverse and grip the ferrule with the leather. As the ferrule heats up from the friction, the glue bond will break down and the ferrule will come right off.

If you plan to install threaded ferrules, you'll need a tenon threader or, if your lathe cuts threads, a thread cutting tool. Otherwise, a basic HSS cutting tool can be used for a sleeved ferrule.

Turn down the new ferrule with a "sharp" HSS cutting tool. If your lathe has power feed, that will give you a smoother cut. After cutting it down, you'll still need to sand it to blend with the shaft and polish it to a nice luster.

If you have more questions, PM me. I'll be glad to help.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Go here and buy the books and vid's.
http://www.cuesmith.com/index.php?page=book_video

The last thing that you want to do is start "winging" it on peoples cues. You will be out of the repair business before you ever get started. The money that repair work brings in is handy, but be confident that you know what you're doing before you take on any job. Start hacking up peoples cues and your lathe will be a big paper weight because word will spread about your bad work.

Now there's some good advice.....greenie to you
Dave