Needing help choosing a players cue.

PitterPatter

Registered
So I was browsing through some cues and I got a low budget now after my break cue lol, but anyways I was needing a good cue on a low budget.

So I was looking at sneaky petes and they seem cheap. So might have to pick one of those or something cheap because I need a good shaft too. Like my budge is like 300-400 at best at the moment.

I know a good shaft will be like 240ish so the rest of the cue seem to me is gonna have to be ghetto unless its a good cue that just comes with it naturally. Like don't flame me if I am wrong or not but like a cheap 50 dollar action butt sneaky pete, then just get an fitted equipped predator shaft of some sort. Oh and whats a good tip to use on a players cue? Include soft/medium/hard?

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member

Nuts4Tascarellas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
playing cue

I started with a Mali. I had been playing with a Dufferin for a few years. So I found a Mali that had the classic look. (My girlfriend at the time bought it for me for Christmas - it cost $150) It had points with veneers, and a wrap. I gotta tell you - a Mali hit is pretty darned good. That was my first "serious" cue, and I still have it! It's a lot of cue for the money. In my opinion - you can't go wrong with one. Then when you are ready to upgrade - you can sell it for almost what you paid for it. Put a wanted thread out on the wanted/for sale category and see if you can find one. If you don't find one here, there are lots of them on ebay. Good luck. PM me if you get one. Let me know what you think or it...

mal255

Registered
I play with a Predator shaft and Fury butt. The butt is not so important, however, you need to make sure you are comfortable with the wrap and how it feels. With the shaft, you get what you pay for and in particular the quality of the tip, although, for example, a Kamui can be put on afterwards. Always try and have a play first before purchasing as feeling comfortable is very personal and subtle and you won't know until you try it. A cue for you might only be $40, but it might be perfect. (Most likely not by the way, but in Snooker over here in the UK the best cue I had was one I found in my cupboard that was worth about £10 and given to my Dad about 10 years before)

PitterPatter

Registered
Well like..

mhmm, guessthe butt is more the deciding factor I guess? Cause like I saw this 50ish dollar cue featured on a site and was like ..looks cool and saw it could get a predator 314 random weird sizes black collar and what not shaft and figured put a kamui soft tip and be good? but wasn't sure if that is smart investment.

BWColeman

BWC
Silver Member
A good cue

Pitter one question have you played before with an LD shaft, and are you sure you want one?

If you have not played with an LD shaft , then my suggestion is take your 300-400 dollar buget and buy yourself a decent playing cue , Joss , McDermott, Pechauer , what ever and play with it a while 6 months to a year and learn what it plays like how it hits and figure out what you want , then add an LD shaft later if you want

But dont go and sink 240+ in an LD shaft and find out you hate it ,

I have ben Playing for over 25 years and i have yet to find an LD shaft I liked better than a solid maple shaft ( This is Just me and whats works for me ) I know all the LD shaft lovers are gonna bash me for this but in my opinion LD shafts are the best way cue companys have found of making a pool player spend money on equipment he dose'nt need

Putting a Tiger , OB, Predator or Mezz WD or whichever LD shaft on a , players , or action cue is kind of like putting a mercedes grill on a volkswagon bug , you will never get any return on your investment . 300-400 dollars will get you a very decent playing cue and will hold some resale down the the line when you find a cue you want to upgrade to and trust m you will.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I started with a Mali. I had been playing with a Dufferin for a few years. So I found a Mali that had the classic look. (My girlfriend at the time bought it for me for Christmas - it cost $150) It had points with veneers, and a wrap. I gotta tell you - a Mali hit is pretty darned good. That was my first "serious" cue, and I still have it! It's a lot of cue for the money. In my opinion - you can't go wrong with one. Then when you are ready to upgrade - you can sell it for almost what you paid for it. Put a wanted thread out on the wanted/for sale category and see if you can find one. If you don't find one here, there are lots of them on ebay. Good luck. PM me if you get one. Let me know what you think or it...

Don't laugh, but those old Dufferin's were the Timex of cheap cues. They took a licking and kept on ticking. I had three of them made into Sneaky Pete's over the years. Johnnyt

PitterPatter

Registered
Pitter one question have you played before with an LD shaft, and are you sure you want one?

If you have not played with an LD shaft , then my suggestion is take your 300-400 dollar buget and buy yourself a decent playing cue , Joss , McDermott, Pechauer , what ever and play with it a while 6 months to a year and learn what it plays like how it hits and figure out what you want , then add an LD shaft later if you want

But dont go and sink 240+ in an LD shaft and find out you hate it ,

I have ben Playing for over 25 years and i have yet to find an LD shaft I liked better than a solid maple shaft ( This is Just me and whats works for me ) I know all the LD shaft lovers are gonna bash me for this but in my opinion LD shafts are the best way cue companys have found of making a pool player spend money on equipment he dose'nt need

Putting a Tiger , OB, Predator or Mezz WD or whichever LD shaft on a , players , or action cue is kind of like putting a mercedes grill on a volkswagon bug , you will never get any return on your investment . 300-400 dollars will get you a very decent playing cue and will hold some resale down the the line when you find a cue you want to upgrade to and trust m you will.

gotta learn I suppose, but I shoot pretty decent :D

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gotta learn I suppose, but I shoot pretty decent :D

:scratchhead:

Do you live in the USA?

You shoot pretty decent...compared to who, APA-5?

Find a small dealer, one that is honest and won't lie.
You will find your best deal from a small dealer.:thumbup:
If you can, go to a dealer and play with all the different shafts and different brand of pool cues.

Don't believe all the hype about deflection, layered tips, and magic shafts with no deflection. All these things are debatable about you and how you play with each.

Everyone is different and like different things.:eek:

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post in the wanted/for sale section and what your budget is. You might be surprised at some of the offers.