New Here? - Introduce Yourself

Hi… I’m Sam from Cue Strokers Arabia. I try my best to create informative pool related video content in order to raise awareness of this beautiful sport in my region. We have a YouTube Channel, Twitter and IG accounts to promote the game. This forum is really impressive and rich with the variety of topics it offers. I look forward to make friends and hopefully help work with content creators to enable their work to reach (my side) of the globe :)

21Hoosier

Hello all. I am Frederick from the crossroads of America - Indiana. I've been consumed with playing Cornhole the last few years and it started not being fun and relaxing anymore along with free time constraints. I have had a table for several years and mainly played when entertaining friends and family. I would like to improve my skills and enjoy expanding my knowledge by reading, so what better place than this forum.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Hello all. I am Frederick from the crossroads of America - Indiana. I've been consumed with playing Cornhole the last few years and it started not being fun and relaxing anymore along with free time constraints. I have had a table for several years and mainly played when entertaining friends and family. I would like to improve my skills and enjoy expanding my knowledge by reading, so what better place than this forum.
Hello Fredrick, where at in Indiana?

XTRMLN

Hey AZB! New here on the forum. I'm in the North Puget Sound area Washington State. Pool saved/ruined me as a teenager couldn't get enough and skipped way too much school to be at the table. Dropped it when I got serious about work and didn't pick it up again until my mid 30's for a little while. Picked it up again at 40 when my son showed an interest (he was 12). We played every Sunday for a couple of years for the most part until our local all ages pool hall closed shop. Bought a house about a year ago and it came with a detached fully finished shop so I made the lower floor my pool/cigar room. Been playing as much as I can (but not as much as I would like) every since. Unfortunately my boy sort of lost interest with the time off with no where to play for a while. He played quite a bit when we first got our 9' table but quickly lost interest. I'm ultra competitive and I think the fun for him wore off with the losses. He just doesn't have the same love of the game as he just wants to play every once in a while and is not willing to put in the grind to get better. Though it wouldn't take much to beat me if he just put a little time in. He see's much better than me nowadays. Unfortunately I'm still a below average player as I don't get as much time as I would like on the table. I just can't seem to get back my ability to envision the shots like I used to and my stroke is a mess. Still love it and hope to get back to the local pool hall in the future to get some competition. If your in the North Sound area and looking to play I would love some competition. I prefer 9' over bar boxes but I'll play on anything and though I don't have allot of experience with all the games I'll play anything. I mostly enjoy the games of 8 ball and 1 pckt.

spctlrsm

Hello Sam Taylor out of Oklahoma. Some of you may know me from Facebook. Just finally branching out to here. I have been buying and selling cues for 15 years of so. I am a former owner of Chesters pool hall in OKC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRWpool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
HI, I'm Tom Wirth
I first began playing pool in 1967 at the age of 15. I had a friend and neighbor who was a local professional player who taught the basics. From there he left me to sink or swim in the shark tank. The Washington D.C. area was full of One Pocket players. As a young man I always had a profound interest in strategic games. I had learned how to play chess at the age of six, and even then I was aware that what had drawn me to that game was the cat and mouse side to the game. I recognized that One Pocket had the same appeal but with a few added prerequisites; among these were, talent, ability, and courage under fire. I endeavored to become as good a player as those who in my small corner of the world I saw as the best at the game. I often wonder if I would have gravitated to pool in such a magnetic way had I not first encountered One Pocket.

Down the street was "Guys and Dolls" this was a true "action room! Across the Potomac River from my home town was Bill Staton’s Jack and Jill’s Cue Club. I was lucky in that I lived in an area of the Country where the best players in the world congregated on a regular basis for the biggest tournaments in the world. This is really where I got my education. I lost several jobs because of the magnetic appeal Jack and Jill cue club had on me. When you're young,working for $5.00 per hour at a humdrum going nowhere job and you can walk into a pool room and walk out with several hundred or more in a single evening it's hard not to tell that boss to shove it! I"m outa here!

I succeeded in winning countless regional events at both One Pocket and 9 ball and a couple State championships in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. I once played Cornbread Red in Richmond, Va. I didn't know who he was at the time. I quickly beat him the first five games of One Pocket for a C note a game. He came back and got even before the end of the night. That was in '89 or '90 I believe. I had just won the State Open Nine Ball Championship. Red could really play! There was so much action in the Baltimore and Washington area for One Pocket and short trips a hundred miles or so south into Va. or North towards the Philadelphia area added to the wealth of high caliber players where I could find action. It was a wonderful time and place for me to nurture my pool skills.

In ’93 I won the second of the two Srawberry International One Pocket events beating Grady, Dave Bollman, Cliff Joyner, and Jose Parica in the finals. That final match was a race to five and I broke a ball in four times and ran eight and out the first three of those times. Anyone who thinks there is no way to practice the break in such a way so as to improve your percentages of this is mistaken. I did just that before the tournament began and I was making balls on the break in every match I played, and on a different table each time.

I took my game on the road in ’96. I just got in the car and took-off. I crossed the Country playing anyone who happened to be ready to play and I beat them all. I was a little lucky not to have run into guys like Efren but I would have played him anyway. That’s how I learned in the first place, by playing better players.

I played in the first six DCC One Pocket events which were held at the Executive West Hotel in Louisville, KY. and finished well into the cheese each year. In the early 2000s after finishing 7th twice in a row with beginning fields of over 400 participants and netting $0.00 I walked away from it as a profit making proposition. At the age of 70 years I still occasionally attend and play but more as a social event.

As most of you know, I have written a book on One Pocket "One Pocket: A Game Of Controlled Aggression" which has been on the market since 2015. I've sold thousands here in the USA and I'm happy to say, many dozens to our European pool playing friends. I'm sure you've seen my ads here on AZB's "For Sale" section. You may have also seen my You Tube Channel. If not, you should.
Let me know if you are interested in a copy of my book or my DVDs.

Now I teach. Mostly in my home, but recently I have added the option of offering virtual lessons for your convenience. Similar to a ZOOM meeeting. You can reach me for more details at my email address trwirth369@gmail.com.
I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Tom Wirth

Last edited:

kettlekornguy

What's up on Billy Bailey and I'm 43. I shoot at a 550 fargo I'm coming back to play after taking off 8 years
I'm doing great I'm also buying and selling cues here are a few i have now

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211108-025645.png
    Screenshot_20211108-025645.png
    320.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot_20211108-024130.png
    Screenshot_20211108-024130.png
    580.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20211108-024126.png
    Screenshot_20211108-024126.png
    614.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20211108-023627.png
    Screenshot_20211108-023627.png
    552.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Screenshot_20211108-002419.png
    Screenshot_20211108-002419.png
    273.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20211108-002412.png
    Screenshot_20211108-002412.png
    312.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20211108-002355.png
    Screenshot_20211108-002355.png
    304.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot_20211108-002352.png
    Screenshot_20211108-002352.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20211108-002359.png
    Screenshot_20211108-002359.png
    248.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20211106-150243.png
    Screenshot_20211106-150243.png
    401 KB · Views: 96

Grapenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow ! My last post on here was 2012 ! Nearly ten years ago. I didn't quit shooting poll, I guess I just quit
posting so much on the internet and shot more ! haha. Still have my old Joss cues and a rare Richard Helmstetter.

Other interests that garnered a lot of my free time and hard earned greenbacks was trap, skeet and sporting clays. I just
thought good cues were expensive ! Have you priced a Kreighof or Perrazi shotgun ? haha

Cue_147

Morning All,
I'm going to be moving from the UK to Canada (Mississauga, Toronto) in the next few months so will be looking to get involved within the pool scene... I've actually never played American pool before but have played Snooker for 20 years (fairly regular century-maker) so I've been told to get a pool cue with a smaller tip.

I've been looking at Mezz AXI-153 with a WX900 shaft... would this be a good cue for a new pool player but competent snooker player?

Thanks, Marcus

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morning All,
I'm going to be moving from the UK to Canada (Mississauga, Toronto) in the next few months so will be looking to get involved within the pool scene... I've actually never played American pool before but have played Snooker for 20 years (fairly regular century-maker) so I've been told to get a pool cue with a smaller tip.

I've been looking at Mezz AXI-153 with a WX900 shaft... would this be a good cue for a new pool player but competent snooker player?

Thanks, Marcus
They make great cues. Think you'd like that combo.

Rosewood

Hi all,

been on the planet for 62 years. Playing pool for about 52 of them. Windy city the whole time. Some years back I was a member, but could not recall the member name, so started new. Have a few customs, which I may share at some point. Looking forward to interaction with you all.

Shoot Pool, not People!

Jack Fate

Been trying for days., it seems I may be in now finally!
65 playing since 6 , had a 8’ olhausen for 20 years. Moved 16 years ago and lost table in that move . Only played a few times since . Daughter bought a table & got the wife then to approve the purchase of another table for us .
Played VNEA for around 20 years & small local tournaments.
I consider myself an enthusiast of the game & lifelong student
Wife is also a player & in past did a lot of scotch doubles tournaments

RustyCanuck

New member here from Ontario Canada(Hamilton area), been playing since I was a kid when my parents got an 8' Sears tabel in the house I grew up in, had many happy hours there. Fast forward 4 or 5 decades(I'm 58 now) and we have renovated our basement which includes an 8' Olhausen table, super pleased to finally have a table of my own! I'm recently retired and have been spending lots of time banging balls around but now have an urge to get better and maybe join a league. Been working on basic cue ball control drills with some success, any tips regarding training will be appreciated.
I have a workshop in my garage and have a Myford Super 7 metal lathe that doesn't see much use these days, it's going to get a new lease on life doing some cue work I think!
Looking forward to learning and getting better.

Rusty in Montana

Welcome RustyCanuck ,

It's been awhile ago now but while in Toronto I enjoyed going to The Colored Stone to play some pool darn nice room from what I remember .
The Montana Bar got some of my business as did the Peel Pub by the CN Tower .
That was a busy 10 day trip !

fluedoc

I am new here from Hot Springs Village, Arkansas the greatest place on earth. I play golf 4 days a week, fish two days a week, play pool one night a week. Largest gated community in the world and lowest cost of living i am sure.

Moraman

Howdy from Western Canada!

Have played casually on bar nights with the buddies and often after school as a teenager. Have recently rekindled my interest in playing and getting better. Just ordered my first cue from Nielson's Billiards after reading great reviews about them here. Eagerly awaiting my PureX cue to arrive now which seemed like a good stick to get my feet wet with.