New Here? - Introduce Yourself

BuffaloSlim

Hello all, and thanks for the membership. I'm in my 70s, and taking up pool for the first time, a new cue is on its way as we speak. I'm having to learn the rules, and a bit about how the game is played.

9 ball seems to be the easiest to get a run with, but since I've not played it yet, the just is out. I'm very lucky as a local pool hall has 4 American pool size tables, less than 2 miles away.

I've loads of questions to ask, so I'll pop over the the correct forum. Ricky9ball from there UK. All there best.
Hi Ricky .. welcome and I hope you enjoy your new venture into the world of pool .. it can be a lot to take in at 1st but is a very rewarding life long affair

Yes Bob, played snooker for many years, and coached too. Have made a few 100 breaks, but, not picked up a cue in 40 years. Never played pool Bob, but just found some tables near home and fancied a try. I've no illusions on being good, just want to have some fun buddy, that's all. Recovering from Cancer, have knee and back problems, but hay!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ricky
Congrats on being a cancer survivor
Keep things in perspective and have fun
Larry

BBB thanks my friend. I'm warning every man I can to get their prostrate checked, I had to have mine removed completely, thats left me with some problems, but I'm still about, and about to start playing pool next week, when my new cue arrives!😍😍😍😍

George the Greek

BBB thanks my friend. I'm warning every man I can to get their prostrate checked, I had to have mine removed completely, thats left me with some problems, but I'm still about, and about to start playing pool next week, when my new cue arrives!😍😍😍😍
Ricky! Gotta think positive and keep on keeping on. I'm going thru the prostate issue at the moment and hope to get playing pool soon enough. I'm going on 70 this year and played snooker most of my life as well and trying to get better at pool.

Reactions: bbb

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes Bob, played snooker for many years, and coached too. Have made a few 100 breaks, but, not picked up a cue in 40 years. Never played pool Bob, but just found some tables near home and fancied a try. I've no illusions on being good, just want to have some fun buddy, that's all. Recovering from Cancer, have knee and back problems, but hay!
Well, with that snooker background -- and assuming you can find a little of your previous form in spite of the physical problems -- you should be among the top players in the typical pool room.

My name is Jason. I am a sophomore at Dartmouth and play billiards at the college. I never played much before college, but I absolutely love playing! I used to play sports when I was younger, but was looking to try something new that is very competitive, and quickly picked it up. I have played for a year, but am still learning. I also am founder and president of the Dartmouth Billiards Student Organization, so if anyone is interested in learning more, feel free to ask me or DM me.

Well, with that snooker background -- and assuming you can find a little of your previous form in spite of the physical problems -- you should be among the top players in the typical pool room.
I'd wish Bob:love: When I was a young man, I had a misspent youth spending far top much time around the snooker club across the road from where I worked. Yes, I got really good, won a few local league's and even played some of the best. In those days, the professional players would come to clubs around the country, earning a living playing the local talent. So I got to play people like Alex Higgins, and a few others. Higgins drank, and would get better as the day, got longer. In those days he had a reputation like Efren had in the Far East. I stopped playing when I got married, and simply never got back into it, that was 40 years ago, as I'm 71 now. I have no expectations now, as mention the health issues are there, but I do intend to have some fun in practice. Thanks for your encouraging words, its nice to speak to you.😌

BuffaloSlim

My name is Jason. I am a sophomore at Dartmouth and play billiards at the college. I never played much before college, but I absolutely love playing! I used to play sports when I was younger, but was looking to try something new that is very competitive, and quickly picked it up. I have played for a year, but am still learning. I also am founder and president of the Dartmouth Billiards Student Organization, so if anyone is interested in learning more, feel free to ask me or DM me.
Welcome Jason .. great job starting the billiard club and promoting the sport

Ricky! Gotta think positive and keep on keeping on. I'm going thru the prostate issue at the moment and hope to get playing pool soon enough. I'm going on 70 this year and played snooker most of my life as well and trying to get better at pool.

Hi Buddy.😁 I had this robotic surgery, and while it was classed as a major operation, the key-hole work allowed me to go home in just a few days. Mine was very advanced so they took the lot away, with as the surgeon said "some fat":eek::love: Because of my age it took about six months to recover, and apart from some water-works problems, I'm doing ok. 😎 Have you had an operation, what is your prognosis right now?

George the Greek

Hi Buddy.😁 I had this robotic surgery, and while it was classed as a major operation, the key-hole work allowed me to go home in just a few days. Mine was very advanced so they took the lot away, with as the surgeon said "some fat":eek::love: Because of my age it took about six months to recover, and apart from some water-works problems, I'm doing ok. 😎 Have you had an operation, what is your prognosis right now?
Hello Ricky! I've gone thru a series of tests sofar and have an enlarged prostate that they detected cancer. They put me on medication and have given me an injection that'll stop producing testosterone in hopes of shrinkage. The next step is to see the radiologist for further examination. The urologist sounded positive that the medication will help but time will tell. I started feeling better a couple days after taking the medication and I'm trying to keep positive.

Spent first 40 years in central Illinois, and the past 35 in east Metro Atlanta Georgia. Grew up playing snooker, which gave me a leg up on the college bar boxes. Then laid down the cues for awhile until getting into BCA league in the early 1990s. Pretty active for about 10 years, went to Vegas with BCA and VNEA for about 7 years in a row, then stopped playing. Curious now what I have left at age 75. Looking for pool halls with nice men's rooms these days, tables are secondary.

nasumiso

Hi I'm nasumiso, Japan. I'm interested in pool physics, and I record with some high-speed cameras, two Sony ZV-1 and Sony RX-100 and Krontec Chronos 1.4, and mechanical stroke machine, like myth buster but little cheap one. And some findings reports my blogs and youtube.
Although my english is very poor, I wanna join your discussion.

Thank you.

wilhelm

Greetings everyone,

I can't remember how long ago I first came across azbilliards, but I sure have been lurking around for a long time. I finally decided to join because the more I read, the more I think this forum is truly a gold mine when it comes to the intricacies of pocket billiards. I don't know whether it was flame-wars over chalk brands or pre-shot routines that finally sealed the deal.😝

Seriously. I was first bit by the bug after being introduced to 3 cushion billiards back in my college days; I eventually switched to pool, as carom tables are pretty much impossible to come by, but 3C is still my first love. I am obsessed with billiards in general, yet consider myself a fairly average player. I still shoot with the same old carom cue, even if it's dinged-up and too short for pool. Whatever chalk the house gives out is good enough for me. I don't do multi-layered tips, either. I'd rather grow callouses than wear one of those stupid gloves. I hate CF shafts and will never use one 'till the day I die. I no longer have the patience (or interest) to watch those damned 9-ball tournaments the big names are always playing.

I guess I'm an old curmudgeon. I simply enjoy the game for the sake of it. I consider the closest pool hall as home, and I *always* have a good time when I'm hitting balls (and I think the folks I play with do as well).

I'm looking forward to having good conversations with some fellow lunatics.

Regards,

Wilhelm

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi I'm nasumiso, Japan. I'm interested in pool physics, and I record with some high-speed cameras, two Sony ZV-1 and Sony RX-100 and Krontec Chronos 1.4, and mechanical stroke machine, like myth buster but little cheap one. And some findings reports my blogs and youtube.
Although my english is very poor, I wanna join your discussion.

Thank you.

What is your blog link? You need to be sure your mechanical stroke machine is properly de-coupled from the cue holder similar to how the skin of a hand is not rigidly mounted to the cue.

I assume you have read all of Dr Dave’s material as well as Ron Shepard’s Amateur Physics for Amateur Poolplayers plus everything written by Bob Jewett.

nasumiso

What is your blog link? You need to be sure your mechanical stroke machine is properly de-coupled from the cue holder similar to how the skin of a hand is not rigidly mounted to the cue.

I assume you have read all of Dr Dave’s material as well as Ron Shepard’s Amateur Physics for Amateur Poolplayers plus everything written by Bob Jewett.
Thank you. My blog link is https://www.yamazaki-shinji.com/pool/ , but older post might be wrong.

And our machine holds with relatively firm grip, because of technical limits. But I believe there is a little, or even no significant, difference between firm and softer grip. I can't discriminate them at least now.

Thank you.