New league members

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Quick question on leagues. I’m building a team with all undocumented players. I know around what their Fargorates should be. How does that work with most leagues. I’ll be the captain. Do I just sign us up with my best guess on our rates?

Last edited:

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Ask for your league’s bylaws and rules from your league operator.
This makes sense. I don’t know much about the leagues. All I know is my local hall has 2 weekly handicapped tournaments with money added which is nice. And my gf wants to play league to get better. So we are trying to start a team.

Rusty in Montana

This is more of a question in a statement so please bear with me , I'm not familiar with Fargo ratings in pool however in bowling leagues your ratings or average depends on how well you do and can raise or lower depending on how you do over all . So is the Fargo ratings similar ?

Since becoming a member here I've had some eye opening experiences ha ha

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
This is more of a question in a statement so please bear with me , I'm not familiar with Fargo ratings in pool however in bowling leagues your ratings or average depends on how well you do and can raise or lower depending on how you do over all . So is the Fargo ratings similar ?

Since becoming a member here I've had some eye opening experiences ha ha
I don’t know the exact calculations to go up or down for fargorates. It’s a bit more complicated than bowling. Ive read on them a few times. Something about being based on your last 10-20 matches. And calculated off your opponents’ skill, and innings per game, and wins/losses.

Smutzc

Our BCA league, new players start at 350, but if the team captain know they are 500+ they usually tell the league operator and they start there. But that is just how our local league works

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Our BCA league, new players start at 350, but if the team captain know they are 500+ they usually tell the league operator and they start there. But that is just how our local league works
That’s a decent system. Good to know. The link Garczar posted is good 2. That link is a bit confusing in the sense that a former open player starts at 500 or 525. My understanding of open players says they should be higher. Like advanced and open should be flip flopped. Or something like that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place i play has a lot of FR tournaments. If they don't know someone(rare) they usually start them at 500. Only once or twice has someone snuck in under the radar. Most of the new league players are in that 350-400 range.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Do you already know that the league you are joining uses Fargo? Because not all leagues do. Many leagues use their own handicapping system. They all will have some sort of method to determine starting players handicaps...

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
Do you already know that the league you are joining uses Fargo? Because not all leagues do. Many leagues use their own handicapping system. They all will have some sort of method to determine starting players handicaps...
I’m assuming it’s fargorate. The owner has always been pretty serious about pool. there are players coming in from other halls for the tournaments too. It not just an in league thing. 32 spots. Every time I’ve been there it’s been close to a full field. That would be hard to fill with only in house players or with calculating different rates from the other halls. I could very well be wrong though. I’ll find out for sure when I get off my ass and go ask!

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I don’t know the exact calculations to go up or down for fargorates. It’s a bit more complicated than bowling. Ive read on them a few times. Something about being based on your last 10-20 matches. And calculated off your opponents’ skill, and innings per game, and wins/losses.
That sounds nothing at all like how FargoRate works, and does have some resemblance to how the APA works. I'm thinking you may have read about several different rating systems and are now confusing them.
That’s a decent system. Good to know. The link Garczar posted is good 2. That link is a bit confusing in the sense that a former open player starts at 500 or 525. My understanding of open players says they should be higher. Like advanced and open should be flip flopped. Or something like that.
The definition of an open player as commonly used for decades, and what the word "open" means in regard to the open division at the BCAPL national event, are two different things and neither is based off of or has anything to do with the other. I'm not quite sure why the BCAPL chose to name the open division the open division as it doesn't seem to be particularly fitting and as you point out it invites some confusion, but that division was simply the "average decent player" division could be one way to think about it, and it was by far the biggest division that most of your reasonably serious long term players would fall into. There was a division under that for newer or less skilled players, and a couple of small divisions above that for really good to fantastic players, but most people fell into and played in the open division. These days I believe that have maximum allowed Fargo Ratings for each division, and in the pre-Fargo days they relied upon your results in their past tournaments and/or their results from other events and/or a players "known speed" to exclude you from divisions they felt were too easy for you.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best thing to do is talk to the hall owner. Every league is a little different and it is not uncommon for multiple league formats to run out of a hall.

Normally the league will have a base handicap they start players at. The first few nights the LO will keep an eye on new players to ensure it os fitting. They probably wont take your guess that seriously.

My hall reports games up and it goes to your fargorate but we dont use the 400 500 etc. We go by 4,5,6,7.