New one pocket rule for tournaments?

Wondering how everyone feels about a rule change for tournament play only.....short and simple......on any foul committed...the incoming player can play the shot from where the foul was committed.....or take ball in hand behind the line.
I know everyone's first thought is....well just give them the game.
But...think about how many times a player fouls in the pocket....incoming player takes ball in hand behind the line and still loses the game.
All I'm saying is take the tapping on the cue ball foul away....and make everyone perform and legal shot evertime they come to the table.
Then you would know who can really play one pocket....without taking foul after foul to take away the great trap you just put them in.
Now you can play longer races in tournaments....and all the balls are not up the other end of the table every game.

Just a thought of mine....not saying it's perfect....but you can bet your ass...players will start to come with some great defensive shots to get out of the trap there in....instead of just taking fouls and knocking balls up table.

Mark Gregory
 
I think one pocket is the best game going just as it is. The 3 foul rule covers your concerns in my opinion.
MAYBE, 3 fouls in a game as an automatic loss to speed up sets in tournament play could help.
 
Last edited:
Taking intentional fouls is a crucial part of 1 hole. " you'll never be a good 1 hole player if you dont know when and how to foul ". Ball in hand is a bad idea. If they want to stop slow play, use a shot clock with 1-2 exts per game. And Stop! cleaning Any ball during a game! Its ludicrous!
 
Taking intentional fouls is a crucial part of 1 hole. " you'll never be a good 1 hole player if you dont know when and how to foul ". Ball in hand is a bad idea. If they want to stop slow play, use a shot clock with 1-2 exts per game. And Stop! cleaning Any ball during a game! Its ludicrous!

Can't disagree with this either,,,,,,,,,
 
All you accomplish there is to let the guys who make balls win games. You took the moves away from the game, you took intentional scratches away.

Moves - one pocket = game I don't want to play

Moves - one pocket = APA


Wondering how everyone feels about a rule change for tournament play only.....short and simple......on any foul committed...the incoming player can play the shot from where the foul was committed.....or take ball in hand behind the line.
I know everyone's first thought is....well just give them the game.
But...think about how many times a player fouls in the pocket....incoming player takes ball in hand behind the line and still loses the game.
All I'm saying is take the tapping on the cue ball foul away....and make everyone perform and legal shot evertime they come to the table.
Then you would know who can really play one pocket....without taking foul after foul to take away the great trap you just put them in.
Now you can play longer races in tournaments....and all the balls are not up the other end of the table every game.

Just a thought of mine....not saying it's perfect....but you can bet your ass...players will start to come with some great defensive shots to get out of the trap there in....instead of just taking fouls and knocking balls up table.

Mark Gregory
 
All you accomplish there is to let the guys who make balls win games. You took the moves away from the game, you took intentional scratches away.

Moves - one pocket = game I don't want to play

Moves - one pocket = APA

My biggest issue in one pocket has been rack your own and then I look at my opponents rack and it is really crooked. Shot clock foul for one pocket will destroy the quality of the game. There are some players who seem to play slow, I do not know the answer but the behind the line rule for any foul is very extreme. Are they considering this as an option for the future DCC tournaments also?
 
Taking intentional fouls is a crucial part of 1 hole. " you'll never be a good 1 hole player if you dont know when and how to foul ". Ball in hand is a bad idea. If they want to stop slow play, use a shot clock with 1-2 exts per game. And Stop! cleaning Any ball during a game! Its ludicrous!

Bad idea? It is a ludicrous idea. The whole damned game is molded from intentional fouls and the strategy behind when and where to take them.
 
not to mention,,,,,,taking the CB from the point of the foul could potentially move it from an incoming player sweet spot to a hindering position in the kitchen,,, lengthening the game even more.

Lets leave one pocket alone and hope TV never gets ahold of it like they've done to 9 ball and straight pool.
 
My biggest issue in one pocket has been rack your own and then I look at my opponents rack and it is really crooked. Shot clock foul for one pocket will destroy the quality of the game. There are some players who seem to play slow, I do not know the answer but the behind the line rule for any foul is very extreme. Are they considering this as an option for the future DCC tournaments also?

Hey Danny ...no they're no thinking of changing the rules for the DDC.
Maybe some of the people responding don't know how well I played one pocket...and played and spotted lots of top players.
Gambled with just about all the best players......and I for sure can move with the best of them.
Danny think of how many times playing.....you have 3 balls left on the table and all 3 balls are in front of your pocket around the first diamond and you freeze the cue ball on the end rail. Your opponent slow rolls the cue ball off the foot rail trying to make a good hit.....but doesn't want the cue ball to get past any object ball and leave the guy straight in for the win.
So he takes the foul...spots a ball which in turn helps him for a makable ball.
Now if he has to make a legal hit on one of the 3 balls in front of your pocket......the game becomes harder to preform.
I've won a lot of games taking fouls gambling.....but I'm taking about this rule for tournaments....then you can play longer races.
I really believe if you guys just try it practicing....you just may think a little differently about the rule.
I've played tons of games where I never took a foul....and I've played tons of games where I scratched in the pocket and still won the game against top players.
You don't have to lose just because a player gets ball in hand behind the line.
Danny...your a great player......try it a couple games.....then let me know what you think.
Trust me....the players today will come with great shots.....knowing they can't take a foul.
I've played Cliff and we both had a role of pennies on the rails...lol
Try it first and then give your opinions.
Thanks to everyone that's willing to play it first and then maybe you'll understand how much skill is going to be needed.
This game will not just favor the shooter.......hell today's players all shoot lights out.
This is going to favor the guy that can move great and not foul.
Would I play this way gambling.....NO
This maybe just away to help tournaments become exciting to watch when a player gets trapped big time. Now he either performs with a great shot or well you see where I'm going.

Not challenging anyone......just trying to help the game become more interesting on every shot.

Mark Gregory
 
Bad idea? It is a ludicrous idea. The whole damned game is molded from intentional fouls and the strategy behind when and where to take them.

You make. A great point....and I've given up big weight and won because of my understanding of the game and taking fouls.
I would have never had a chance to give up the weight....without taking fouls.
But....I'm taking about tournaments only.


Mark Gregory
 
what they do on tv becomes what happens in the real world as everyone follows. just like nine ball with ball in hand. it has ruined it for poolroom players.
and eight ball same thing. except for league few play any of the games as they arent fun or good for gambling.

you see it used to be a good mover could match up or even beat the better player. that is gone.

that is why one pocket is the game of choice for gambling or matching up. make it like nine ball and its gone as well.
 
Wondering how everyone feels about a rule change for tournament play only.....short and simple......on any foul committed...the incoming player can play the shot from where the foul was committed.....or take ball in hand behind the line.
I know everyone's first thought is....well just give them the game.
But...think about how many times a player fouls in the pocket....incoming player takes ball in hand behind the line and still loses the game.
All I'm saying is take the tapping on the cue ball foul away....and make everyone perform and legal shot evertime they come to the table.
Then you would know who can really play one pocket....without taking foul after foul to take away the great trap you just put them in.
Now you can play longer races in tournaments....and all the balls are not up the other end of the table every game.

Just a thought of mine....not saying it's perfect....but you can bet your ass...players will start to come with some great defensive shots to get out of the trap there in....instead of just taking fouls and knocking balls up table.

Mark Gregory

One pocket is not just shooting balls, it is a measure of ones well power and patience, i played the game for 30 years, i find out i loose more games to those that have more patience and well power to win than mine, with shooting skill being closely matched of course.

There was a thread a while back, considering not paying balls on fouls but reduce the balls the opponent has to make, some favor some do not.
 
Post

Wondering how everyone feels about a rule change for tournament play only.....short and simple......on any foul committed...the incoming player can play the shot from where the foul was committed.....or take ball in hand behind the line.
I know everyone's first thought is....well just give them the game.
But...think about how many times a player fouls in the pocket....incoming player takes ball in hand behind the line and still loses the game.
All I'm saying is take the tapping on the cue ball foul away....and make everyone perform and legal shot evertime they come to the table.
Then you would know who can really play one pocket....without taking foul after foul to take away the great trap you just put them in.
Now you can play longer races in tournaments....and all the balls are not up the other end of the table every game.

Just a thought of mine....not saying it's perfect....but you can bet your ass...players will start to come with some great defensive shots to get out of the trap there in....instead of just taking fouls and knocking balls up table.

Mark Gregory
-
I would say it's a good idea, the game in general is called pocket billiards.. The objective is to pocket balls, not prevent them from going in.....just like the phillipines version of rotation.
If you don't pocket balls you don't get any better'


Rob.M
 
I think it is a stupid idea! One pocket as it is played now is the best game out there and people who want to change it just don't want to put in the time to learn the moves played in the game. Most people who want to change the rules are players who want a fast game of making balls instead of out thinking and moving the other guy. ---Smitty
 
I think it is a stupid idea! One pocket as it is played now is the best game out there and people who want to change it just don't want to put in the time to learn the moves played in the game. Most people who want to change the rules are players who want a fast game of making balls instead of out thinking and moving the other guy. ---Smitty

I don't think you understand what I'm suggesting.....I'm not trying to change the game into a shooters fest.
No matter what rules you play by.....you still have to make 8 balls to win the game.
And it's not and stupid idea.....maybe you saying you have 30 years playing the game....and then call and idea to help tournament play to become more creative on moving maybe pretty stupid.....ya think?
Maybe the game would be to hard for players that don't control their cue ball as well as the great players.

Taking fouls is the easiest part of the game.....what's hard is trying to get out of a trap with a good hit.
I've been playing the game for 40 years......like I said.....it may work for tournament rules only....to keep players prolonging the games for hours.

Maybe you want to try it and then call it stupid
Imagine with today's players.....some of the creativity they're going to come up with...instead of just tapping the cue ball and taking a foul.

Players that think its a stupid rule......maybe just don't move as well.

Mark Gregory
 
Back
Top