New shaft for an old break cue?

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I have an over 15 year old Falcon JB cue and I thought about buying a new break cue with some benefits of a modern breaking technology but I still like my Falcon so much that I wonder if it would be possible to buy a hi-tech break shaft for my old Falcon? Any recommendations? The joint type is 5/16-14 piloted. There are so many different power breakers and deep impact shafts etc. but do they sell shafts only with different joint configurations like Predator started their business? The main reason I'd like to change the shaft is because I feel that the old shaft is too thin and flexible to deliver enough power to the cueball.
 
You might consider the OB Break Shaft. Not sure if there are any other hi-tech break shafts out there.
 
Hey mjantti, where you been, how are the reindeer.:grin-square:

Pred, McDermott, OB, Tiger all may have something that would suit you. The question is do you have someone to custom fit or do you want to ship to have fitted or want to take the chance it fits up ok (is the Falcon pin centered real good,(probably is)).What does the joint collar look like for matching.
 
Hey mjantti, where you been, how are the reindeer.:grin-square:

Pred, McDermott, OB, Tiger all may have something that would suit you. The question is do you have someone to custom fit or do you want to ship to have fitted or want to take the chance it fits up ok (is the Falcon pin centered real good,(probably is)).What does the joint collar look like for matching.

Haha, the reindeer are very well... and very tasty on my plate :grin:

My Falcon has a tremendous quality, still absolutely straight, sound and even the original shaft is still smooth as silk and hasn't picked up those small nicks and dings the lesser quality shafts (like Predator) seem to pick up over the years. It's SS joint with a black collar without rings. Probably I'm not shipping it anywhere because honestly I'm not sure what kind of shaft I'm looking for except that it should resemble one of those Predator break cue shafts as far as the taper goes. I think they have a nice feel and they are not too stiff and the taper is long enough. I wonder if Predator makes break cues without the UniLock joint and would use 5/16-14 instead... hmm...
 
I have an over 15 year old Falcon JB cue and I thought about buying a new break cue with some benefits of a modern breaking technology but I still like my Falcon so much that I wonder if it would be possible to buy a hi-tech break shaft for my old Falcon? Any recommendations? The joint type is 5/16-14 piloted. There are so many different power breakers and deep impact shafts etc. but do they sell shafts only with different joint configurations like Predator started their business? The main reason I'd like to change the shaft is because I feel that the old shaft is too thin and flexible to deliver enough power to the cueball.

I like the OB break shaft. They'll sell you one that will fit your cue.

It comes with the Samsara break tip and it works fine. It's thick but not too stiff. I think you'll like it - that's what I'm using now. It has good control and is relatively forgiving on break shots. It's a good all-around break shaft for a dedicated break cue. It's not great for jumping but it can be used. I used a separate jump cue anyway.


Chris
 
Last edited:
Haha, the reindeer are very well... and very tasty on my plate :grin:

My Falcon has a tremendous quality, still absolutely straight, sound and even the original shaft is still smooth as silk and hasn't picked up those small nicks and dings the lesser quality shafts (like Predator) seem to pick up over the years. It's SS joint with a black collar without rings. Probably I'm not shipping it anywhere because honestly I'm not sure what kind of shaft I'm looking for except that it should resemble one of those Predator break cue shafts as far as the taper goes. I think they have a nice feel and they are not too stiff and the taper is long enough. I wonder if Predator makes break cues without the UniLock joint and would use 5/16-14 instead... hmm...

Just leave Santa a few of the flying ones. lol

Sounds like any of them should be able to match a collar. Like Tate said the OBs have an excellent rep. Mr. Royce should be able to fix you up easily. Preds should be available with that pin also. I'm not sure about the McDermott s taper on a larger diameter shaft, I think they use a shorter taper. Not sure what Tigers taper is but I think it's similar to the Preds taper and they should have that pin. Good luck.
 
Thanks for your input. Considering my options (with a mouth full of reindeer...) :p
 
Back
Top