new table - couple of questions

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s been my personal experience that Diamonds are not as consistent as GC’s in different rooms/parts of the country. I have played on them in Colorado, Mississippi, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia, and Georgia. Sometimes they play close to a GC, and sometimes they play like pinball machines. I personally think it’s something about the cushion material, and it is more susceptible to environmental factors than super speed cushions.

I recall even at the same place (DCC), one year it was snowing and they were closer to pinball machines. The last year I went 2 years ago it was warm outside, and they played like GC’s.

So, I’d bet there is nothing wrong with your table. It’s just the normal variations due to environmental conditions.

Also, plus one for template racks, new balls, and a polisher. New balls will definitely bounce more off of the rails. I experienced that myself on my home table.

I completely agree about the blue labels, even in the same pool hall. The Diamond ProAm at the Rack bank different than the professionals which surprised me.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
update

Well, I just got my new pool balls tonight. Aramith Pro Tournament TV balls. It solved ALL the problems.

The balls are clean of course. They are the same size and not scratched at all. The result is they break apart nicely. They also roll a few feet further than my old set. Suddenly the speed is absolutely perfect. Not pingy like the fastest Diamond rails, but perfectly matched to what I'd expect from any tournament table.

I also got a magic rack and that of course solved any racking issues. They rack perfectly now. In the past I've used magic rack and still had trouble getting a tight rack due to the wear in the racking area. Not on this table. They sit drum tight and allow me to break a 10 ball rack with eerie consistency. 16-18mph breaks are enough to play the balls at the side and the corner balls 4 rails because there are no gaps. I ran 2 racks twice in my first session. It's amazingly easy when the balls float open, the 1 is controlled, and you are only playing for 8 balls.

It's almost too easy and I hesitate to use this all of the time. I'll probably switch back to my Delta 13 for most sessions. Still, this is how the pros compete so it's important I can develop a powerhouse run out game in these conditions and build confidence in my conversion skills.

I still need a ball polisher to keep them this clean and probably a good table vaccuum, but at least I know my table is in spec with clean balls. Thanks gang!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, I just got my new pool balls tonight. Aramith Pro Tournament TV balls. It solved ALL the problems.

The balls are clean of course. They are the same size and not scratched at all. The result is they break apart nicely. They also roll a few feet further than my old set. Suddenly the speed is absolutely perfect. Not pingy like the fastest Diamond rails, but perfectly matched to what I'd expect from any tournament table.

I also got a magic rack and that of course solved any racking issues. They rack perfectly now. In the past I've used magic rack and still had trouble getting a tight rack due to the wear in the racking area. Not on this table. They sit drum tight and allow me to break a 10 ball rack with eerie consistency. 16-18mph breaks are enough to play the balls at the side and the corner balls 4 rails because there are no gaps. I ran 2 racks twice in my first session. It's amazingly easy when the balls float open, the 1 is controlled, and you are only playing for 8 balls.

It's almost too easy and I hesitate to use this all of the time. I'll probably switch back to my Delta 13 for most sessions. Still, this is how the pros compete so it's important I can develop a powerhouse run out game in these conditions and build confidence in my conversion skills.

I still need a ball polisher to keep them this clean and probably a good table vaccuum, but at least I know my table is in spec with clean balls. Thanks gang!

Glad it all worked out for you! You sound happy:grin-square: