New to me cue, possibly a Jack Madden

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, let me apologize for the photos. I have a DSLR, but my computer is compromised at the moment.

I just bought this cue and a McDermott D-1 off of craigslist as a package deal. Not sure who made this cue, but possibly an early Jack Madden. Still waiting to hear back from Jack.

With that out of the way, the one thing about this cue I'm not a fan of is the buttcap, it's stainless. It is growing on me. The forearm looks like an old prather blank. If this cue is a Madden, I doubt if he was doing 8 point, 4 veneered cues this early on.

I had one of the shafts cleaned up yesterday and was able to weigh the cue. Heavier than I thought. 21.1 oz. I've been playing with a Runde Schon that is 20.8oz and a Runde at 19.2oz before that. What is strange is the weight doesn't bother me. My Runde with 4.4oz shafts feel to heavy for me, but the Schon and this cue are fine. The thinner shaft, 12.15mm, I counted 30 growth rings at .820 inches. The normal shaft at 12.85mm has 16 growth rings. Both shafts have ivory ferrules.

The cue has no weight bolt, moves the ball quite well, transfers tons of spin and it stiff, but not too stiff. All in all this is a great cue. The hit is quite firm, old school hit. Very similar to a hoppe 2 piece and an old Palmer that I had.

869fb4e4.jpg


281f34ad.jpg


c9f22e5b.jpg
 
Neat design. I'm not sure if it's a Madden or not, but does appear to be very well made. The JM looks an awful lot like John's writing but now that I see the overall cue, it doesn't look like his style. It could be his, dunno. Either way, really nice cue. You should get in touch with him & find out.
 
Just got a PM that cue was mde by Joe mcGlaughlin out of Everett, WA. I love this forum. I guess he only made 100 or so cues.
 
Back
Top