Newbie question

Derb

Hello sorry if this is in the wrong place to post this.

I want to get a new shaft for a old players cue that was my fathers as I am looking to get more serious about my playing I am leaning towards a predator but is a Revo overkill for a some what newbie or would a vantage shaft be more suited? Just looking for some advice as there are no Cue distributors in my area to try anything out.

crazy8legs

Registered
As long as the original shaft is in good shape, I would just shoot with it for a few months to see if it is something you are going to stick with (Joining a league helps with the sticking part for some people). Also make sure the tip is in good condition and replace it if not. And buy a tip scuffer so the tip properly holds chalk.

If you end up really liking pool then just go for a good carbon fiber shaft or a good low deflection wood shaft (I shoot with a Predator Vantage with a medium G2 tip and love it).

Some old school players don't like the new technology/gear because it plays different than what they're used to. They would have to recalibrate their aiming when using English, and/or they don't have or want to spend the money on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Derb

Thanks for the feedback I am looking for a new shaft because the ferrule was cracked on the original and when I tried to get it replaced we found out the the tenon was also broke. I have also joined a league that runs for 16 weeks so that will help me to stick with it and hopefully improve…. Lol. I am close to pulling the trigger on a Revo shaft just didn’t know if that would be over kill for a newbie.

crazy8legs

Registered
If you have the money why not? You can always turn around and sell it and get a good portion of what you paid back if you change your mind.

Also if you order from some places like Seyberts and Pool Dawg, I believe you can shoot with it for 30 days and return it if you don't like it.

I think the pin size for an Action cue is 5/16x18. Make sure to check before you order.

Lastly, the more I like my equipment the more I want to play/use it. So that's a good reason to get what you want as well.

Good luck.

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no such thing as overkill. Test a bunch of shafts out, find one that feels good to you and stick with it.

A standard maple shaft will work just fine and have good feedback. Low deflection shafts can make it easier to learn aiming with English. Carbon shafts are dent resistant. But NONE of them will make you play better if you don't practice. Have fun 🙂

Nyquil

I think either (carbon/maple) you will be fine as others have mentioned. What you want to find out prior is what diameter you like in a shaft. Some like 13mm some like lower 12's and some like conical 11's. If you play a lot of closed bridge something in the 12 range may be your ticket. 11's require quite a bit of precision, Ymmv though. If you do decide to go revo I think you got a 30 guarantee pool dawg I know for sure allows exchanges. Good luck either way. Grab what you are comfortable with paying and start hitting the racks.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Having played with a Revo the last 5 years I'd recommend it to anyone. If you want something that will last and you want to learn and get better without spending money a whole bunch of times get the Revo. Wish it was an option for me when I started to get interested 30+ years ago.

Reactions: bbb

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a custom Kielwood shaft get a tip size that is more in the middle not 11.75mm and not 13mm. Like a 12.4mm to 12.5mm. Look for smaller custom guys for the shaft you will be paying just a little more than a standard shaft but cheaper than carbon also will be getting low deflection with no worries about wood delamination or hollow sections in the shaft.