nickel or dime tip radius

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The short answer is: It really doesn't matter.

For the long answer, see the quotes and diagrams from Patrick Johnson on the tip size and shape resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Dr Dave,, I would like to ask you a question.

When I was young, the old man that repaired cues & put on cue tips at the Pool Hall would talk about playing Pool & Cue Sticks. He also talked to me about the tip radius.

This is what he said. The smaller the tip radius, possibly the more squirt you will have. He also said that a flat tip is great for shooting straight, but obviously won't work for applying English. He also said that the radius of one ball hitting the same radius on the other ball works quite well, maybe that radius on a cue tip should be looked into.

This was in the 60's. he taught me how to play Snooker. I used a house cue with 12.5 diameter tip that weighed 17 oz. The radius was larger than a nickel. I'm like any other old man that worked for a living, I don't have the time or equipment to try all this stuff, but you might like to try this.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
That tip radius would be 1.125" (cue ball is 2.25").
That would be...
Almost Three times as flat as a nickle tip.

Half Dollar is .602
Quarter is .477
Nickle is .415
Penny is .386
Dime is .358

Dr Dave,, I would like to ask you a question.

When I was young, the old man that repaired cues & put on cue tips at the Pool Hall would talk about playing Pool & Cue Sticks. He also talked to me about the tip radius.

This is what he said. The smaller the tip radius, possibly the more squirt you will have. He also said that a flat tip is great for shooting straight, but obviously won't work for applying English. He also said that the radius of one ball hitting the same radius on the other ball works quite well, maybe that radius on a cue tip should be looked into.

This was in the 60's. he taught me how to play Snooker. I used a house cue with 12.5 diameter tip that weighed 17 oz. The radius was larger than a nickel. I'm like any other old man that worked for a living, I don't have the time or equipment to try all this stuff, but you might like to try this.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave, I would like to ask you a question.

This is what he said. The smaller the tip radius, possibly the more squirt you will have.
That is true only if you are applying more sidespin with the smaller tip, intentionally or not. Some people unintentionally apply more sidespin with a smaller and rounder tip for some of the reasons on the shaft diameter effects resource page.

He also said that a flat tip is great for shooting straight
That is correct, assuming you have straight aim and a straight stroke.

but obviously won't work for applying English.
That is correct. If a tip were totally flat, sidespin would be difficult to apply. For more info on flatter vs. rounder, see the cue tip size and shape effects resource page

He also said that the radius of one ball hitting the same radius on the other ball works quite well, maybe that radius on a cue tip should be looked into.
Honestly, a ball hitting a ball has absolutely nothing to do with a tip hitting a ball, so that comparison is not really useful or appropriate. A CB-radius tip would be considered fairly flat by most people.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited: