NIU refuses to reimburse my ACUI expenses... MIFFED!

BWTadpole

The Nitcracker
Silver Member
In retrospect, I feel that a lot of what I had to say was relatively pointless. I know I don't have a snowball's chance in hell to get reimbursed, partly because of my own bad foresight and failure to double-check things before I venture out. If you want to read the original post, it's quoted in the post below.

Cheers to AZ for giving me an outlet, and go USA in the Mosconi Cup.

Last edited:

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
I've taken two trips -- one to Ball State University and one to Virginia Tech -- for ACUI tournaments this year, representing Northern Illinois University (NIU). The first trip in February took me six hours away to Ball State. I paid for my own gas and entry into the regional tournament. When I got back, I submitted my travel and entry receipts to the head of the recreation center (who has been nothing but helpful). He assured me that my expenses should be covered, seeing as the school has sent previous ACUI participants (including a former national champion) and taken care of them. Those expenses were to the tune of roughly $100. I was told to wait for word back

I received the same assurances for my next trip to Virginia Tech in July, a 12 hour drive from Illinois. The school (surprisingly) agreed to pay for my tournament entry, but I was told that I should return my receipts for travel and hotel. I've been upfront about all of the details of my trip -- that I traveled and stayed in a hotel with another Chicago participant. I returned my receipts, this time totalling closer to $200-300.

I've patiently waited to hear something back from the university, but the only word I've heard is from the rec center guy, telling me that he's tried but the school won't reimburse me. And when I mentioned that I hadn't been contacted about the February trip, he seemed genuinely surprised.

I feel like a small carpet's been pulled out from under me. I pay to attend the college, I barely make ends meet so I don't have to take loans out for rent and food, and I'm a DAMN GOOD student. I represented the university for a shot at a national title, and I haven't received the appropriate amount of support or recognition. What really irks me is the nationals expenses. Realistically, I'm firing $200-300 in travel to have a chance at $1000 scholarship money for winning a 32+ man tournament. If I were informed beforehand that I would DEFINITELY not be getting any help from the university, I would've thought twice about shelling out my own cash. The way I'm set right now, I have to think twice about driving to Rockford or Skokie for a weekly tournament that I really want to go to, let alone driving for half a day across the country.

I'm sorry, but I felt that I had to write this down and vent. I don't care if I'm being a nit for not securing promises or guarantees from the university, but I needed to get this out. It just gave me such a bad headache...

Cheers to AZ for giving me an outlet, and go USA in the Mosconi Cup.

Was the experience/knowledge gained at these 2 tournaments worth $400.00 ?
Was the possibility of winning the scholarship worth the $400.00
If any of the answers to these questions is yes, then "rough it up' and take it as a "worth while" experience.

If you believe that your "troubles" are worth more than the $400, then quit pool and earn your education first, and then if your future allows you any time to "practice" pool then give it another try.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Hopefully someone from the ACUI hears about this. And takes action.

I know higher education institutions are really slow payers, and in recent times cuts have been across the board, even for the academically gifted.

For academic events they used to give out waivers, so travelers didn't have to bring or put up for expenses. But that required coordination from both ends the hosting institution and the travelers institution.