'AZB_Combat Certified'
...and the subjective bais teeter totter swings the other way

-It adds nothing except everything it does
-It makes it too easy unless you're expecting me to hit the OB as well
-etc, etc

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf has developed that way though, with the way clubs are made, and angles on them, you pick what you need for the distance you need to play. There are rules for golf, as there are rules for pool. The jump cue is not needed at all, it adds nothing good to the game past making it trivial to play a shot that used to take quite a bit of skill to execute. Someone executes a 3 rail safe where the balls travel 20 feet to hook a player, they whip out a $60 short stick and hop out of it. Like practicing for years with a sword to have some dope with a 70 IQ pull out a gun and shoot you from 50 feet away. Skill vs equipment.

Someone wants to jump vs kick, no problems, use one of your full cues you have at the table and jump away. It's not taking away the options, it's making the options equally a skill shot. Ball is hanging in the pocket, but you need to jump with a full cue, that's a skilled shot, so you see if that is better vs kicking at it. Other than that almost every situation is better done with a jump cue because it's so much easier to make a legal hit for most players, especially if it's a good safe that cuts off rails for the kicks.
I can often hit 5 or more different golf clubs the same distance. I choose one over the other because of any number of factors unique to that one particular circumstance/shot.

The same applies to pool and my choice in how to play any given shot. I may kick, I may jump. If you want to keep me from doing one or the other, play a better safe, not just haphazardly placing another ball between the cue ball and the object ball.

It also strikes me that if you’re still armed with a sword when everyone else has a gun, it might be a better use of your time to learn how to use a gun better than the other guy, rather than just complaining that he should be using a sword too. 😁

Last edited:

Geosnookery

Most sports only have a logic within themselves. Sinking balls into a pot has no purpose on it’s on. The purpose is to make it a challenge within a set of parameters. In baseball the ultimate goal isn’t to hit a Homerun with any object. The goal is to hit the ball within regulations of what material that bat can be composed of. In hockey a stick can only have a maximum curve. A greater curve may score more goals but more goals isn’t the object of the game. The object is to score goals Using specified means..

Jump cues are neither a positive or negative. Depends on the regulations of the particular game. I also can pick up the ball with my hand and place it in a pocket... however the purpose of Pool isn't to sink balls for the sake of It. The Jump cue is just a tool. If it’s allowed...that's fine, If not allowed...that’s fine.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I think it's a sad state of affairs if some equipment that makes the game easier is banned while some others are not.
Not equipment related, but the rule that I absolutely detest....the 3-point break rule. Good gawd!

But that's a whole other subject for another thread.

Maniac

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not equipment related, but the rule that I absolutely detest....the 3-point break rule. Good gawd!

But that's a whole other subject for another thread.

Maniac

That may be the only thing I find equal to the jump cue in it's ability to make the game worse.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
It also strikes me that if you’re still armed with a sword when everyone else has a gun, it might be a better use of your time to learn how to use a gun better than the other guy, rather than just complaining that he should be using a sword too. 😁
Nothing to add here... this just needed to be quoted...lol

This might even get me to sign up for club membership so I can change my sig line... ;)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So that is my point, use of equipment can overcome skill when the point of the game is to use your skill to accomplish winning. It's my entire point against jump cues, they make things too easy to be allowed in tournaments, especially pro tournaments. And in fact, they are not allowed in many events. It may seem like "why don't you get a gun then" is a good point but it's really not, it's making the exact argument I have against the jump cue. I don't want the game of pool to become this easy where having a jump cue is such an important thing, people should need skill to execute the shots. Where is my laser aiming robot for kicks? Or 6" wide pockets so we miss less? Anyone here for telling Diamond to stop making those dang 4.5" pockets that need aiming to pocket a ball in? Pocket size is getting smaller and that's good because it makes skill count but jumping was turned into an equipment purchase where skill is almost eliminated and it's also good? 9 ball is too easy so we want pros to play 15 ball rotation, but short cues that anyone can be taught to use in 3 minutes are nice to have?

Last edited: