No jump cue allowed

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was watching a pro tourney, might have been Turning Stone. Whatever it was, one of the rules was no jump cue allowed. Why, what is the purpose of this? Speed things up or what is it? BTW, I don't recall seeing anyone jump a ball, lol!

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
A jump cue makes a vertical dimension more readily available. With practice a player can be very accurate. It really alters the safety aspect of a game. Making escapes easier. Jump shots add wear to the cloth. I don’t allow jump shots on my table but have considerable practice on tables in taverns.🥴

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watch a lot of tourneys on youtube and it's rare I don't see jump cues. Is it rare to disallow them, I guess it is.

Those of you who own nice pool tables, do you allow jumping?

BTW, the tourney I was watching (in the OP), I seem to recall that jumping was not disallowed, just the jump cue was. Does that ring true?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many players believe that the jump cue takes away skill from the game, because they make jumping so easy and attainable by an average skill player. The skill of getting out of a safety with a nice kick shot. Or the skill of jumping over a ball with your playing cue. So to make the tournament favor the higher skilled player, some tournaments ban the jump cue. Whether that is true or not is up for debate. But that is the main reason its banned in some tournaments.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those that can’t kick hate the rule. Those that can’t jump love it. 😁

I like to see all players given the option to play the shot that they feel is appropriate to the situation.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im sponsoring a tournament next month with NO JUMPING period, not just no jump cues.

This is because my flooring install is delayed and I don't want to replace a bunch of cueballs 🙄
You had better ban breaking then. A lot more cue balls leave the table on the break than do so from the comparatively few jumps that happen. 😁

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Allow jumping but you have to use the cue you play with. No specialty cues allowed.
Remember golf once allowed stymies, no marking of balls on the green when blocked.

The golfer could jump a golf ball when it blocks the cup or the path of his intended putt.
That rule was revised years ago. Why not just revert back to jumping using your own cue?

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, the question has always been "Why are jump cues ever allowed?"

Under this "philosophy" why are break cues even allowed ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
On the other hand, I saw a video of SVB jumping over a couple of impeeding balls, and then kincking the OB for an excellent safety off 2 rails--this options would not have been available if SVB would have had to simply kick at the ball !!

I also question the "no jump cues" rule--jump cues make jumping easy enough that jumps themselves don't damage the cloth as much as when performed with a full length (and weight) cue.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Under this "philosophy" why are break cues even allowed ?
Break cues first came into vogue because breaking hard at nine ball quickly flattened one's tip and/or caused it to mushroom. They were not needed in the straight pool era because 14.1 called for a defensive break that was hit relatively soft. Jump shots played with a full cue did not similarly compromise one's equipment. There was never a need for the jump cue, and in my view, it still compromises the game.

Finally, jump cues do far more damage to the table than full cue jumps ever did. Yes, for a single jump, the effect may be similar, even though jump cue shots typically use more cue elevation than the full cue jumps of yesteryear. The difference is that for every jump shot you used to see before jump cues, I'd say you see over 100 of them now. Back in the day, I saw entire nine ball events in which I didn't see a single jump shot attempted.

Last edited:

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
For me, the question has always been "Why are jump cues ever allowed?"
I have posted this before ,If you go back to before the Predator tour started the rules stated (No Jump Cues ). In the mean time Predator came out with a Jump Cue and so then they were allowed in the Tour. Its all about Money and selling Jump Cues . In my opinion Jump Cues take away from this wonderful Game not add to it .Just my 2 cents !

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Those that can’t kick hate the rule. Those that can’t jump love it. 😁

I like to see all players given the option to play the shot that they feel is appropriate to the situation.
This...^^^^

I like to bring up the use of cue extensions as a counter point to the banning of jumpers. Why don't people bitch about cue extensions...? I'll wager a guess and say because the vast majority of 'pool' players never bothered to learn the rather minor skill of using one correctly. Cue extensions are a speciality piece of a equipment that makes a shot easier, rather then forcing the player to learn age old skill set. Sound familiar..?

There's a romanticism to kicking that baffles me. The Efren "Z" shot is a fantasic example. Great player (obviously) takes an educated slash at hitting a ball, and ends up dropping it. Oh my god, kicking is the most amazing thing ever...!!! Was it cool to see...?..., of course. Was it anything more than a great player playing the averages to hit a ball, hoping at best to leave a safe...?..., nope.

Kicking is about playing averages to hopefully obtain a successful outcome. The difficulty of the kick obvious changes the expectations. Jumps are a generally a direct shot with a 3rd dimensional element. Some are easy, just like kicks. Others are far more difficult then people would like to give credit for.

Tournaments banning jump cues isn't really a big deal, and I highly doubt it will change the outcome in the slightest. I'm all for TD's wanting to protect equipment, even though that argument is better suited for banning jumps all together. That said, some of these jump cues come with ridiculously hard tips that damage the CB.

As long as the jump cues tips are "softer" then the CB so to prevent that damage. IMHO, TD's are doing a disservice to the crowd by banning the practice.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have posted this before ,If you go back to before the Predator tour started the rules stated (No Jump Cues ). In the mean time Predator came out with a Jump Cue and so then they were allowed in the Tour. Its all about Money and selling Jump Cues . In my opinion Jump Cues take away from this wonderful Game not add to it .Just my 2 cents !
Not sure if Predator is a pool cue company or a marketing company.
They sure are good at marketing.
Waiting for a Predator $800 shaft.
Then I'll know it will make my game better for sure.
Sarcasm off.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Jump cues are also not allowed in one pocket, must use player. Don't see a lot of jumping in 1P.
I've been playing a ton of 14.1 Haven't used my jump cue or played a single jump shot. Wasn't sure if it was agianst the rules so I figured I'd leave the shot in the bag rather then run the risk of a substantial run being discounted for illegal play.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing a ton of 14.1 Haven't used my jump cue or played a single jump shot. Wasn't sure if it was agianst the rules so I figured I'd leave the shot in the bag rather then run the risk of a substantial run being discounted for illegal play.
I think that 14.1 is the same about jump cues as 1P. Sure someone on here will verify if it's a rule or just a tradition.