Noticed Something in Qatar This Week...

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the years I've played pool, and I've never noticed before. I can admit it, and it's led me to ask the following question. The foot string on the tables in Qatar is drawn at far edge (away from the foot rail) of the diamonds. I had always thought it ran thru the middle of the diamonds. Something that would be uniform for actual diamond shaped diamonds, as well as the center of round diamonds. In Qatar, that foot string is located at the far edge. I looked up a handful of websites to see if I could find the official ruling and didn't have any success. Anyone know the official ruling on the location of the foot string in relation to those diamonds? Middle? Far edge?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Not sure what the rule says but I have never seen anyone play anything other than center of middle diamond.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the years I've played pool, and I've never noticed before. I can admit it, and it's led me to ask the following question. The foot string on the tables in Qatar is drawn at far edge (away from the foot rail) of the diamonds. I had always thought it ran thru the middle of the diamonds. Something that would be uniform for actual diamond shaped diamonds, as well as the center of round diamonds. In Qatar, that foot string is located at the far edge. I looked up a handful of websites to see if I could find the official ruling and didn't have any success. Anyone know the official ruling on the location of the foot string in relation to those diamonds? Middle? Far edge?

If it is a 4 1/2 x 9 table (Playing surface 50 x 100 inches) the line will be 25 inches from the rail regardless how the spots on the table are located.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That probably explains it then. Thanks! They are a foreign brand of tables I'm not familiar with.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I only see a head string drawn on the tables in Qatar. The string at the breaking end of the table is the head string. The racking end is the foot end of the table.

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bleh, typo. Brain is seeing head string and hands are typing foot string. Thanks for pointing it out. Regardless, it's the same question. I always thought they had run through the center of the diamonds at both ends of the table. I learned something new this week. Always fun and good to continue learning things about the game, no matter how big or small. Thanks guys.

the chicken

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait a minute! If the line marking the head string is not in agreement with the center of the the diamonds, what good are the diamonds?
I know my old friend Willie H. could probably figure out something wasn't right after playing for a while, but what about the average playa? What would the 'Pearl have to say about this?
Shoot Safe!
John

John Novak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait a minute! If the line marking the head string is not in agreement with the center of the the diamonds, what good are the diamonds?
I know my old friend Willie H. could probably figure out something wasn't right after playing for a while, but what about the average playa? What would the 'Pearl have to say about this?
Shoot Safe!
John

The average player wouldnt notice if it were a hair off...

Last edited: