NY Times Crossword Puzzle 12/30/21

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
This should have been the "12/31/21" puzzle (which NYT released on 12/30/21). I was not paying attention. This is the one: "NY Times, Fri, Dec 31, 2021 by Kate Hawkins / Will Shortz". Not sure which "yesterday" puzzle you just finished, but I just checked and the NYT 12/30/21 puzzle did have a 57 Across.

I need new glasses, too -- the clue/answer is actually "67 Across".

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. I subscribe to the puzzle on-line and work it everyday but Sunday. I thought it was the same puzzle as the print version. Rex Parker’s blog matches my on-line puzzles. Kate Hawkins was not the author of either puzzle in my app.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This should have been the "12/31/21" puzzle (which NYT released on 12/30/21). I was not paying attention. This is the one: "NY Times, Fri, Dec 31, 2021 by Kate Hawkins / Will Shortz". Not sure which "yesterday" puzzle you just finished, but I just checked and the NYT 12/30/21 puzzle did have a 57 Across.

I need new glasses, too -- the clue/answer is actually "67 Across".
Nice! Made him look twice. :)

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Seattle Times published it as "NY Times, Fri, Dec 31, 2021 by Kate Hawkins / Will Shortz". I cannot understand why they would misidentify it.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
N
Seattle Times published it as "NY Times, Fri, Dec 31, 2021 by Kate Hawkins / Will Shortz". I cannot understand why they would misidentify it.
I don’t know, but I checked my app archive and freds is correct. That puzzle first appeared on 11/26. It doesn’t really matter one way or the other. If you get it for free, good for you. NYT crossword is the best puzzle.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Its free, although apparently a month behind. I still cannot come up with a reason why the Seattle Times would take conscious steps to incorrectly identify the puzzle -- it defies logic. The lies which intrigue me the most are those which lack an explanation.

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably they just don't want to make it obvious to their readers that the puzzle is a month behind. That date line is misleading isn't it. I'd also presume the NYT license for reprints is restricted to a month later to protect their own subscriptions, I think the xword is a pretty significant revenue stream for them. (I even know a notoriously cheap pool player who pays for it!)

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I prefer to do battle with crossword puzzles the old fashioned way -- pen on paper -- but, sadly, it seems that two of my most favorite things, pool halls and papers, are both disappearing at an alarming rate. On a happier note, however, it is reassuring to learn that there are at least two other pool players who also enjoy wrestling with the NYT xword. Cheers! And a Happy New Year!

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m a crossword enthusiast also. But I usually do the Canuck weekend ones. The NY Times and the London Times are very intimidating. A few years ago, Jim Wych of player and commentator fame was pleased to discover his name was the answer to a NYT clue.....I always like it when billiards shows up.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was 67 down, not 57 down, on the 12/31 crossword puzzle.

One time I was watching "Cash Cab," where they pick up unsuspecting people needing a cab in New York City, and once they're inside, they play a game for money by answering questions. One of the questions was name a billiards event that occurs once a year named after a famous pool player, or words to that effect. Of course, I knew it, but the occupants didn't. It was none other than the Mosconi Cup.

It's fun when we see any mention of our pool culture on mainstream media. :cool:

Here's the crossword puzzle, 67 across.
11.JPG

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my favourites was about 25-30 years ago in a UK newspaper - probably the Times or the Telegraph. The clue was "Side on the ball in America". All of my friends who were doing the crossword were thinking long and hard about a possible 7 letter word that Americans might use to refer to side, team or squad in ball sports.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably they just don't want to make it obvious to their readers that the puzzle is a month behind. That date line is misleading isn't it. I'd also presume the NYT license for reprints is restricted to a month later to protect their own subscriptions, I think the xword is a pretty significant revenue stream for them. (I even know a notoriously cheap pool player who pays for it!)

Quite a few years ago, 60 Minutes did a feature on Will Shortz. The interviewer mentioned that the crossword was determined to be responsible for 10% of the sales of the newspaper. He asked Will how it felt not to be invited to the editorial board and staff writers meetings when nobody in that room was responsible for as much of the paper’s circulation. Will just smiled.

If you read the NY TIMES you must be a lover of fiction

The online version of the crossword is paid separately. The online newspaper subscription does not include the crossword.

Here is a link to another free xword: https://www.washingtonpost.com/crossword-puzzles/daily/
this one posts ar 11:00 p.m., CST, 7 days a week.

I just started solving these puzzles last week. They are pretty good. Not as good as NYT overall, but Monday and Tuesday NYT puzzles are almost too easy and it is nice to have a second puzzle to work on.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many/most folks have heard of Sudoku puzzles. For me, they’re OK. Some are too easy and the Evil/Diabolical puzzles can be tedious to solve. So it’s not my favorite.

But another puzzle that was brought to the US by Will Shortz is called KenKen. I prefer it to Sudoku. It is also a number grid, but uses mathematical clues for filling in the boxes.

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From today's NYT xword, the pedestrian 66 across: "Striped yellow balls, in pool".
It's late enough in the week, would have been better without the "in pool".

(NINES)