OB-1 carbon fiber pad?

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night the tip came off my OB-1. It also took the carbon fiber pad with it. Try as I might, I couldn't find it on the floor anywhere. When I looked at the shaft I noticed the foam or whatever they put in the shaft is kind of concave. I don't know if they are supposed to be this way or if some of it came out due to it being glued to the pad.

I also noticed the core of foam is quite off center. I'm not sure if this is common, or if it is a problem but it seems to me that it should be centered in the shaft.

Anyway, I usually tip my own cues and I never pop tips off, but I have never retipped an OB-1. Is it necessary to use a carbon fiber pad? If so, where do I get one?

I would just send it to OB-1, but being from Canada it would take a month or more to get it done, plus the shipping there and back would be almost half of the cost of a new shaft. Unless it is considered defective I would just rather re-tip it myself or have a local repair guy do it.

What do you guys think?

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
djkx1 said:
Last night the tip came off my OB-1. It also took the carbon fiber pad with it. Try as I might, I couldn't find it on the floor anywhere. When I looked at the shaft I noticed the foam or whatever they put in the shaft is kind of concave. I don't know if they are supposed to be this way or if some of it came out due to it being glued to the pad.

I also noticed the core of foam is quite off center. I'm not sure if this is common, or if it is a problem but it seems to me that it should be centered in the shaft.

Anyway, I usually tip my own cues and I never pop tips off, but I have never retipped an OB-1. Is it necessary to use a carbon fiber pad? If so, where do I get one?

I would just send it to OB-1, but being from Canada it would take a month or more to get it done, plus the shipping there and back would be almost half of the cost of a new shaft. Unless it is considered defective I would just rather re-tip it myself or have a local repair guy do it.

What do you guys think?

Contact the guys at OB-1 they are quite good at taking care of customers. If you do you will get great support.

jimbo.

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there.

The OB1 has a special carbon layer which should be used when you put on a new tip. This is because the front of the shaft has other sensible wood materials inside the tip/ferule section which should be protected.

I recommend you to contact Royce at OB Cues and he could ship you a new fiber pad which you could use. OB has great support and it would for sure be easier for you to receive a fiber pad and do the install in stead of shipping the shaft all the way from Canada. Installation instructions could be supplied.

Hope it helps.

N

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had one and removed the carbo fiber pad just to see how it played.i actually liked it better.it hit a little harder without it.i never had any problems from doing that and the shaft is still in service.i put many hours on it and sold it to my buddy and he is still using it 2 years later.that stuff doesn't look or feel like carbon fiber to me anyway.

Mc2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
masonh said:
i had one and removed the carbo fiber pad just to see how it played.i actually liked it better.it hit a little harder without it.i never had any problems from doing that and the shaft is still in service.i put many hours on it and sold it to my buddy and he is still using it 2 years later.that stuff doesn't look or feel like carbon fiber to me anyway.

That is fine however, by removing the carbon fiber pad you have voided the warranty. This may not matter to you. The other shaft most likely would be warranty. Thats why he should contact Ob-1.

good luck, jimbo

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
I would expect a new shaft as if it was off center it would effect the way the shaft plays...

UGA330

Registered
nipper said:
does anyone think these pads are little more than to stop us from seeing what lurks behind

I would not be suprised. I have tapped a couple of these shafts and I am not at all impressed with these shafts. They have a dead sound when hit against the floor. In my opinion, JUNK!!!!!! Not intended to offend anyone and I apologize in advance. The shafts just are not what they are cracked up to be!!!!!! FOAM FILLED from end to end!!!!!!!!

JMO