OB Finishes - anyone else having this problem?

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some time ago (mid 2013?), I purchased an OB break cue from the sale/wanted section on here and then in late 2014, got an OB122 on Ebay. Even though I haven't been using these cues, I occasionally take them out for a cleaning.

Anyway, I recently decided to do an inventory/cleaning on all my cues and as I got around to doing the OBs, the following is what I discovered (pics).

OB Break: The finish on this cue has an "orange peel" look and feel all over the butt/handle/forearm area...I'm not even sure what to call that stuff happening around the logo but it appears to be the silver paint bleeding through the black paint.

OB122: On this cue, there appears to be a "separation?" issue where the handle meets the butt and the clear coat is lifting in this area.

Note:The break was in mint shape with no visible flaws and of course the 122 was brand new. Both cues were in storage with literally less than a full rack between them.

Anyone else but me? Suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC04050.jpg
    DSC04050.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 746
  • DSC04049.jpg
    DSC04049.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 733
  • DSC04051.jpg
    DSC04051.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 738
  • DSC04046.jpg
    DSC04046.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 894
  • DSC04048.jpg
    DSC04048.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had major problems with the finishes on their shafts.
I have three and no matter what I do they always feel gritty after a little while.
Not so with any of my other shafts under the exact same treatment.
This is one reason I only use Predator when it comes to LD.
Also had more than one OBs that had crooked joint connectors and had to be
leveled at a cue maker's shop, in order to roll straight with the butts I was putting
them on.
This is a shame as I try to support all things made in America.
But since OB isn't delivering I'll just buy Predator and have to somehow try to live
with supporting the Americans who work in the customs and import industry...I will
survive, they need money too you know...

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
Interesting. I have owned multiple OB butts and at least 6 OB shafts and never had this issue. I am interested to see if a cause can be uncovered.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why didn't you contact them directly before coming to the forum's? Royce seems like a very reasonable guy I am sure he would have looked after you.

RBC

Deceased
Seven days

I've never seen anything like that. It's very interesting.

Of course, I'd be happy to take a look at them to maybe figure out what happened, and possibly repair them for you.

Go to our website, www.obcues.com and follow the instructions on the warranty page to send them in to us. Of course, we stand behind our warranty 100%.

I'm actually anxious to get a look at them to see what's happened.

Royce

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why didn't you contact them directly before coming to the forum's? Royce seems like a very reasonable guy I am sure he would have looked after you.

Wasn't sure about what steps to take and was just wondering if this was a common occurrence. At first, I thought it had something to do with how long I've had them in storage or maybe my case?? ...but all my other cues are just fine.

Seven days

I've never seen anything like that. It's very interesting.

Of course, I'd be happy to take a look at them to maybe figure out what happened, and possibly repair them for you.

Go to our website, www.obcues.com and follow the instructions on the warranty page to send them in to us. Of course, we stand behind our warranty 100%.

I'm actually anxious to get a look at them to see what's happened.

Royce

I'm still wondering if the break cue was a victim of prepping issues and the paint/clear is just reacting to a foreign substance below the paint, maybe?

Anyway, I read the warranty page and printed the product form. But, like I mentioned earlier, I got break cue off of Azbilliards and not sure how to proceed with that (please advise).
The 122 was from eBay member and authorized dealer Joerackem and will send a copy of my email receipt along with the return form.

Thanks.

RBC

Deceased
Wasn't sure about what steps to take and was just wondering if this was a common occurrence. At first, I thought it had something to do with how long I've had them in storage or maybe my case?? ...but all my other cues are just fine.

I'm still wondering if the break cue was a victim of prepping issues and the paint/clear is just reacting to a foreign substance below the paint, maybe?

Anyway, I read the warranty page and printed the product form. But, like I mentioned earlier, I got break cue off of Azbilliards and not sure how to proceed with that (please advise).
The 122 was from eBay member and authorized dealer Joerackem and will send a copy of my email receipt along with the return form.

Thanks.

Seven

You should send it in anyway. You're already sending in the OB 122, and it may be something we can easily take care of. Also, it's unusual, so I'd really like to get a look at it. Worst case scenario, we just send it back with the other cue.

Royce

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seven

You should send it in anyway. You're already sending in the OB 122, and it may be something we can easily take care of. Also, it's unusual, so I'd really like to get a look at it. Worst case scenario, we just send it back with the other cue.

Royce

Okay Royce, I'll do just that.
Have a great weekend.

cheers2.gif

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Have 6 OB shafts that go everywhere with me that are demo shafts for our Ki-Techs... No telling how many balls they have hit or how many hands they have had on them but there is no grittiness or finish problems to be seen on any of them and they were acquired at different times....

My choice of shaft waivers between the OB Classic Plus and Precat predators...

Since I can easily find the Classic Plus and the precats are getting harder and harder to find OB gets the nod from me...

Doesn't hurt that they are best in the business on customer service and I have not seen a picture of the hole drilled off center in the OB shaft like we were seeing on the preds when they first went to china from Samsara....

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
If both cues were stored in the same case, I wouldn't put anything else in that case.

Since you purchased the cues from different sources, it's unlikely that both of the cues were from the same batch run (where there might have been a problem with the lacquer or such). That leaves the case as the only element these two "victims" have in common. If the case, or it's lining, has some leftover acetone-like substance, it could damage any cue stored in it.

If they were stored in separate cases...well, I don't have a clue.

ososlow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered the ob 121 and the clear was flaking off when i opened the package. Exchanged it for a new one and so far so good

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed the finish on some OB cues are quite thin, the clouding
you see in the pic looks like a small air pocket under the clear coat.
Within time it pushes its way through and that happens. Sorta like a
crack in a windshield, it just starts moving.

oldgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the same cue. Except the whole cue is clouding up. OB said I could send it in and they would look at it. It's only on the inside, so I didn't send it back.

oldgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best picture I can take. Like I said it doesn't really bother me.

Attachments

• 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 174

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the same cue. Except the whole cue is clouding up. OB said I could send it in and they would look at it. It's only on the inside, so I didn't send it back.

Only thing is, if you don't send it in now to get it looked at, if the finish starts to peel off or crack later they may either deny the fix due to you not sending it in promptly or ask for a partial payment later.