Oil finish

Cletus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hear about cues having an "oil" finish. What I want to know is what kind of oil? I know some woodworkers use walnut oil or tung oil. Is it one of these oils or something else? Thank you.

paul fanelli

Registered
oil finishes

Cletus said:
I hear about cues having an "oil" finish. What I want to know is what kind of oil? I know some woodworkers use walnut oil or tung oil. Is it one of these oils or something else? Thank you.

Simple tung or walnut oils will take forever to dry on the exotic woods used in many modern cues. "Polamerized" oils will dry (gun stock finish), but will not provide a sufficient degree of resistance to vapor exchange, which means that moisture in the air can enter and leave the wood, eventually breaking down glue joints and raising grain. The highest form of barrier is a "film" coat of a catalized (2 part) finish which acts as a closed window to the environment. Most auto clear coats must meet this requirement, but there are many others. For tradition's sake, some cuemakers will use oil, but more care is required to maintain it. It is primarily used where the woodworker wants to preserve the surface texture of the piece without having the glass-like apperance, since it takes many coats to build up a film. See the book "Understanding Wood Finishes" by Bob Flexner, for more details.

paul

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Cletus said:

I have played around with oil finishes but the look is just not for me. I used a gun stock oil available at woodcraft. I think it was a urethane oil.

Sheldon Lebow has made some cues with a oil finish. You might ask him.

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
finish

paul fanelli said:
Simple tung or walnut oils will take forever to dry on the exotic woods used in many modern cues. "Polamerized" oils will dry (gun stock finish), but will not provide a sufficient degree of resistance to vapor exchange, which means that moisture in the air can enter and leave the wood, eventually breaking down glue joints and raising grain. The highest form of barrier is a "film" coat of a catalized (2 part) finish which acts as a closed window to the environment. Most auto clear coats must meet this requirement, but there are many others. For tradition's sake, some cuemakers will use oil, but more care is required to maintain it. It is primarily used where the woodworker wants to preserve the surface texture of the piece without having the glass-like apperance, since it takes many coats to build up a film. See the book "Understanding Wood Finishes" by Bob Flexner, for more details.

paul

Paul, I have been around for a lot of years, and do not know of a single good cuemaker who uses an oil for the finish. Just who are these "traditional cuemakers, you speak about? Are you speaking of real cuemakers who build nice cues....or, guys who are just building Pete's.

These oil finishes are not what is needed to protect a cue properly. You also do not need a two part finish. Lacquer finishes have woked for years, but today, for the most part,we use clear coat, 2 and 3 parts, depending on who made it. Modern lacquer of today is also a very good finish.

"AIR" exchange is something we do not need in cues.. I want the moisture to stay out of my cues.
When building cues, I also coat the ends of the cues butt, and shafts with glue, to keep out air, [moisture]. The ends of the cue will gather air [moisture] at a fast rate, unless it's protected.

I do use a wood stablizer to replace the moisture in the woods cells.I soak my shafts and butts several times in the stablizer, before the final sanding and the clear-coat is applied.

The problem we had with lacquer, years back, it would turn yellow to some degree after a few years. Today there's all kinds of finishes. I, use a 3 part clear-coat made by PPG. Works for me.
Burton Spain, at one time expermented with dipping the finished cue in a tube filled with lacquer. It worked, but was not effecent.
blud

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tung oil will yellow the wood, too, at least the alto recorder that I had made out of boxwood. Yet, the oil really impregnates the wood with a nice, warmth as it were.

Last edited:

Cletus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all. I guess laquer is a better finish than oil if choosing between the two?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking from woodworking and not cue-finishing experience...The main difference between "oil" and "modern" finishes is oil penetrates into the wood while modern finishes such as lacquer, polyurethane, varnish, conversion varnish, etc. are surface finishes. Every coat you put on adds to the film thickness of the previous coat. Penetrating oil finishes just get further absorbed into the wood when adding additional coats.

Surface finishes offer much more protection against wear and vapor exchange than penetrating oils. They can also be polished to a high gloss.

One advantage of oil is that you can "revive" its appearance by simply adding an additional coat in the future. However, this can also be a disadvantage because it is often necessary to do this on a yearly basis for the wood to look its best. Surface finishes, with the exception of lacquer perhaps, often have to be completely refinished to make repairs in the future.

Application wise, penetrating oils are just applied with a rag and then the excess is wiped off, similar to applying a stain. Surface finishes work best when sprayed.

Since most pool player want a high gloss and highly durable finish that makes a good vapor barrier, penetrating oils would make a poor choice.

larrynj1

aka uncle larry
Silver Member
george balabushka was one of those traditional cue makers who used an oil finish on many of his cues.